Most difficult track to record?

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Most difficult track to record?

Post by Big Spoon »

Thanks for opening this up again, Jon!

What song of Al's had the hardest/most complicated drum track to record? What song are you most proud of your work on?
And Peggy
bermuda
Be jealous.

Re: Most difficult track to record?

Post by bermuda »

Many of Al's songs have a certain level of difficulty, and for different reasons. Some require more work than others, and it's the parodies that are typically more difficult than the originals. Trapped in the Drive-Thru comes to mind, that was pretty involved for me. But some of the originals required more work than others, and Genius in France is probably tied for first, along with one of the originals on the new album. :)

But I'm proud of all of my drumming. There are a few things I'd like to go back and do something different, but only because I thought of something better, not because I need to correct a mistake. And there are a few of those, too, I hear them every time I hear those songs. But, they're also part of the song now, and making it right would be wrong.

Bermuda
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

So youre never tempted to ask Al if you can change it up a bit when doing it live?
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

If what I played was right for the album, it's right for the concert! It's never my intention to change a part that we all agreed sounded right. But, and only after years of playing something live, my parts may change slightly due to 1) memory lapse between tours, or 2) I eventually developed a part - a fill, really - that I preferred and wished I could have done on the record. But that happens after 5 or 10 or 20 years, not immedaietly after we finish an album. And I always re-listen to the original recordings of the songs for each tour before we start rehearsing, just to remind myself exactly what the parts are.

Yoda is a song that strayed a little bit over time, but I've kept it in check the last few tours.

Bermuda
gtrmu
Off The Deep End

Post by gtrmu »

Speaking of Yoda, I remember during the end of Touring With Scissors when during the B sections so to speak if I'm using the correct termonology (I.E. Well I left home just a week before) where you would go double time on the drums, then back to normal during the verses. It was a very nice touch, and am hoping to see it again. Just curious if you remember what was the reason for the change?
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

No change for me there, the only time I go 'double time' is during the next-to-last turnaround at the end of the song. Although not on the recording, I've been doing that for 20 years or more as part of an ending that closes the show (the recording fades, which would be rather anti-climactic to do after 2 hours of mock & roll!)

Bermuda