Demos

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Re: Demos

Post by QuantumError »

bermuda wrote:Soon is a relative concept. I could have said eventually, but that sounds like a long time!
Well, yes, Jon, but up until that last comment you've been replying about that differently, which could really apply to a time frame ranging from soon to who knows when..Soon kinda cancels out the prediction of it being released in, let's say, a year...
:P
Either way, I've got my eye on you now..
bizarreblair
Occasional

Post by bizarreblair »

What about a polka that was intended for Even Worse? There was a lot of discussion about this when "Ask Bermuda" was down. It's been 15 years, but I still think you addressed this at Alcon '98. Would you be able to set the record straight here?
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

bizarreblair wrote:What about a polka that was intended for Even Worse? There was a lot of discussion about this when "Ask Bermuda" was down. It's been 15 years, but I still think you addressed this at Alcon '98. Would you be able to set the record straight here?
I think Al himself once said in the Dr Demento interview for "Even Worse" that he never intended for there to be a polka medley for that album. This was because "Polka Party" was such a flop he wanted to distance himself from it and that he didn't want his fans to start an "accordion backlash" if he used it too much on the albums.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
bizarreblair
Occasional

Post by bizarreblair »

He also said in another Dr. Demento interview that he likes to read the backs of shampoo bottles in his spare time. And when asked if he's going to make any more movies, he usually says he's planning on going to some movies, deflecting the question. My point is that sometimes Al chooses not to reveal some things for a number of reasons. Remember that he wrote a script a few years ago for I think it was Cartoon Network. Then Cartoon Network didn't make it. Now we all know about that script in a drawer somewhere. Perhaps he would rather not discuss things that he may be able to use later or may never see the light of day. Or maybe he wants to use the material later, and would prefer that it seem as fresh as the day he wrote it. Recall that he used the joke about smelling so bad that even his dog got sick in both "You Don't Take Your Showers" and "Trash Day".
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

bizarreblair wrote:What about a polka that was intended for Even Worse?
There was a polka, rehearsed just days before entering the studio, but it was scrapped at the last minute. I don't think it was ever demo'd by Al, but I have a tape of the rehearsal. :)

Bermuda
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Can you answer if it was the U2 or Led Zeppelin polka that has been rumored for so many years?
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Obviously it was a U2 Polka... who ever heard of a Led Zeppelin polka!? Now you're just being silly!
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

bermuda wrote:There was a polka, rehearsed just days before entering the studio, but it was scrapped at the last minute. I don't think it was ever demo'd by Al, but I have a tape of the rehearsal. :)
Wow, that's really interesting. What was the thinking behind scrapping that polka?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

bermuda wrote: There was a polka, rehearsed just days before entering the studio, but it was scrapped at the last minute. I don't think it was ever demo'd by Al, but I have a tape of the rehearsal. :)
What are the chances you'll tell us what songs were in it?
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

bermuda wrote:Obviously it was a U2 Polka... who ever heard of a Led Zeppelin polka!? Now you're just being silly!
Doggone it, I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not, but in a way I almost hope there was no Led Zeppelin polka, because knowing that it once existed but got scrapped would be horrible. I could deal with missing out on a U2 polka. I still don't know how exactly that would have been filled out in 1988.

(And rehearsals like that are what I mean by there being a lot of awesome bonus material in the vaults--stuff like that and the alternate version of "Melanie" [which I assume wasn't recorded, but there's no reason Al couldn't do a new acoustic version...]!)