Royalties?

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

santidejr

Royalties?

Post by santidejr »

Bermuda, I just read an article about Al. He talks about having to pay R Kelly. I thought this wasn't the case with parody songs. Any input? Thanks!

"I haven’t gotten any direct feedback from R. Kelly, but I know that he obviously approved it. In fact, he was nice enough to lower his rate on it so I could add another song to my album. I found out that because the parody was so long, he was entitled to an additional payment. But he was nice enough to wave that so I could include another song on my album. So he was very nice to me and very supportive.”
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Royalties?

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I'm not Bermuda, but Al has to pay royalties for parodies, just as other artists have to pay when they cover a song. It's R Kelly's music. What you're thinking of is asking permission. Al doesn't legally need permission from artists. But he still has to pay royalties.
HAAS
Occasional

Re: Royalties?

Post by HAAS »

Is it not when one uses someone else's artistic property and plans to charge/make profit from the material. Like when schools put on a play, usually at the high school level where there will be an admission fee, the play they perform will have a royalty fee to be paid for the rights to do this. Unless it is in the public domain, I do believe.