Bermuda's Al Archives

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

mrchips127

Bermuda's Al Archives

Post by mrchips127 »

At ALCONIII you mentioned that you were preserving some past recordings so that they will be available in the future. Was that meant only for rare occasions, such as the basement tapes series, or is there always the hanging possibility of a rare Al songs compilation? Wasn't sure if the archiving was for personal use or meant for a specific project.

(I know Al's expressed little interest in having people hear some of his earlier recordings, but there was also a point where a live release wasn't considered either).

Thanks! :)

-Lee
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

There's really no plan for any of the material I'm archiving, but there will undoubtedly be more occasions where copies of some things will be needed for future Basement Tapes or whatever. It doesn't matter, they'll be here, and listenable, when needed. The same applies to all the Al photos and clippings and stuff I've collected from day one. there was never a specific purpose, but the archive was definitely put to good use for a number of projects in the future.

As for live, everyone wanted a live CD, but Al's show is more of a visual event than an audio event, which is why a live video worked so well. To only hear the concert is not nearly as exciting.

Bermuda
Loony Lynn
Occasional

Post by Loony Lynn »

There's really no plan for any of the material I'm archiving, but there will undoubtedly be more occasions where copies of some things will be needed for future Basement Tapes or whatever. It doesn't matter, they'll be here, and listenable, when needed. The same applies to all the Al photos and clippings and stuff I've collected from day one. there was never a specific purpose, but the archive was definitely put to good use for a number of projects in the future.

Bermuda

A bloopers video would be cool :wink:
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

I've already shown outtakes from the Bedrock & Nirvana videos at Dementiacon 2001!
Loony Lynn
Occasional

Post by Loony Lynn »

I'm sure everyone there enjoyed them.
Johnnytimewarp
Occasional

Post by Johnnytimewarp »

Do you think there will ever be a rarities compilation legitimately released in the event that Al should suffer an untimely death? Usually after a legend passes on, people scramble to release every single note the artist ever recorded... 8)
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Hard to say, but if it happens, I'll have digital copies of some of the rarest things - titles that even the hardest-core fans don't know about - and of course Dr. Demento will have the cleanest versions of things that were played on his show, such as Belvedere Cruising, Nobody Here But Us Frogs, etc.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

not that we would even want to think of al ever dying. he is gonna be here forever!

Mike
Chimpbizkit
Occasional

Re: Bermuda's Al Archives

Post by Chimpbizkit »

QUOTE (I know Al's expressed little interest in having people hear some of his earlier recordings, but there was also a point where a live release wasn't considered either).

there is a live album?!
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

There's a live video. I don't know if it's available in the UK though. There is a DVD of the same concert that should work in your computer.

El