Advertising for UHF DVD

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

haroldwaide
Regular

Advertising for UHF DVD

Post by haroldwaide »

UHF has FINALY Gotten the recognition and treatment it deserves and I was wondering what advertising the company was doing to hype the release? Or are they depending on Word of mouth to sell it for them?

Harold

MODEDIT: Topic title changed ;)
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

I'm not aware of any special campaign. I think that for a DVD coming out so long after the movie's original release, they rely on fans of the movie keeping up on the "upcoming releases" info available all over the internet and at retail & rental stores.

Something like Harry Potter or Rush Hour 2 or Oceans Eleven gets hyped as part of the continuation of the original theatrical release, and the distributors expect to sell a LOT of copies at retail, so the advertising budget is high. With UHF appearing again after more than a dozen years (since the tape/laserdisc came out) there's less of an expectation of sales, probably much less product, and therefore less specific marketing.

I do think that this DVD will sell well regardless. There's a tremendously loyal and large Al fanbase, and thanks to the Internet, a great awareness of the DVD's release.

Bermuda
Alison
Occasional

Post by Alison »

I do think that this DVD will sell well regardless. There's a tremendously loyal and large Al fanbase, and thanks to the Internet, a great awareness of the DVD's release.

I must agree with you Jon!

I have 2 copies in transit from Deep Discount DVD, as well as 2 more copies STILL sitting in Amazon's warehouse! (just checked the status of that order)

And if I COULD find an early release locally I'd be watching one right now! Unfortunately, they are following the rules here in NH! :(

~Ali

So...........guess what some LUCKY souls are getting with their graduation checks this year? 8)
SusanPW
Occasional

Post by SusanPW »

I have 2 copies in transit from Deep Discount DVD, as well as 2 more copies STILL sitting in Amazon's warehouse! (just checked the status of that order)
~Ali

My Amazon order was shipped on Friday.

Susan
Alison
Occasional

Post by Alison »

My Amazon order was shipped on Friday.
Susan

I KNOW!

It seems everyone's BUT mine has already been shipped

I'm developing somewhat of a complex :dontgetit:

~Ali

I imagine it may be that my DVDs are part of a huge order BUT all of the other items are in stock.

They sent the book Siddhartha along last week. It's required summer reading for my son and it was the LAST item he wanted to see! :biggrin:
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

though it would be cool to see a weird al commercial

Mike
Alison
Occasional

Post by Alison »

Mike

I know what you mean!

I hoped for a HUGE promotion including NEW posters and 3-D glasses!

BUT we must be happy with what we DO have!

~Ali

*carried a pair of original UHF 3-D's ALL the way to Chicago and back

BUT with all the excitement I never did get Al to sign them *
Cartunedude
Occasional

Post by Cartunedude »

Mike

Indeed it would, although... and I don't mean to stray "off topic" here ("off topic" in the sense of UHF- what I'm about to say has every bit to do with Al in commercials), I remember seeing a Best Buy commercial advertising RWS three years ago. It was really well put together. I vaguely remember it, but it showed clips of previous music videos like Fat and SLN, with a voice over saying something like "he's had a 20-year career...and now you can buy his new CD, Running With Scissors," then it showed the Saga Begins video. Again, I only vaguely remember it, but it was really cool to see Al in a commercial. :)

Bob

:stupid:
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

I remember seeing a Best Buy commercial advertising RWS three years ago.

Of course, the main difference is that RWS was a brand new production.

Actually, I've been conversing with a lot of people from Suncoast since the first UHF DVD announcement, and it seems that pretty much the only older titles that get any kind of promotion (in-store or otherwise) are the Disney animated films.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Of course, the main difference is that RWS was a brand new production.

Actually, I've been conversing with a lot of people from Suncoast since the first UHF DVD announcement, and it seems that pretty much the only older titles that get any kind of promotion (in-store or otherwise) are the Disney animated films.

you know what, thats true, you never see promos for older movies that are re-released, usually the most they ever get is an ad in people or ent. weekly. i think uhf deserves at least that.

Mike