Bigger Drumset this album?

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

drummer29

Bigger Drumset this album?

Post by drummer29 »

First off, great to see new studio pictures on the site.

In this photo on the right side of this page: http://www.weirdal.com/album11d.htm

You are using a much larger set. Looks like an 8 piece set. What made you decide to use a larger set this time? Will that be the same set you use on the 5 upcoming shows?

thanks,
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

I've had the purple kit since 96 and it's been my main kit for recording since. One of the new songs required extra toms, and it was actually the first time I've used all the drums at once. I don't anticipate using that many again, so it's really a one-of-a-kind picture.

They definitely won't be going on the road, either. They're too dark to show up well onstage, and the white kit I've used since 93 sounds identical to them anyway.

Bermuda
drummer29

Post by drummer29 »

thanks. The white set would probably do fine. Another quick set question. The drumset you used in the Money For Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies, was that just used to resemble the set in the original song's video?
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

I wanted as many drums as possible, so I used a then-current kit and added 4 Simmons pads, a set of Impact 'octabons' and 2 gongs. I don't know if it was particularly close to Terry Williams' kit in the Straits video, but for the few close-ups, I think it was suitable.

I recorded the track with a 5-pc kit, now residing in Nashville with my brother, who plays guitar for Mark Knopfler! Small world...
Johnnytimewarp
Occasional

Post by Johnnytimewarp »

What's your brother's name? Is he as famous as you are? Has he played with anyone of note besides Knopfler? Is any of his work available on CD?
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

My brother is Richard Bennett, and I'd say he's somewhat better-known than I am. His list of credits is long, and he's been with Mark for about 7 or 8 years, and is best known for being Neil Diamond's lead guitar for many many years (co-wrote Forever In Blue Jeans and some others.) He can be heard on CDs from several hundred artists.
Johnnytimewarp
Occasional

Post by Johnnytimewarp »

Wow! "Forever in Blue Jeans" was a cool song...So is your last name really Schwartz or Bennett???? I'll have to do a retrospective of his work on one of my upcoming radio shows...
Johnnytimewarp
Occasional

Post by Johnnytimewarp »

Does your brother have a bluegrass album out on Rebel Records entitled "Walking Down the Line"???? Are you two related to Richard Dyer Bennett (folk singer/archivist, founder of Dyer-Bennett Records)????

Are any of the other band members (if you know) related to famous musicians???? And I know Al is not related to Frankie...
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

I don't think so, no, and not that I know of.
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Wow! "Forever in Blue Jeans" was a cool song...So is your last name really Schwartz or Bennett???? I'll have to do a retrospective of his work on one of my upcoming radio shows...

That would be a very long show!

My name is the original family name, and Bennett is his middle name, but changed legally many years ago.