Tommy Vavrick

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

drummer29

Tommy Vavrick

Post by drummer29 »

While searching through the PLAYERS page, I found this:

Tommy Vavrick - guitar & vocals

Al's first "live" guitarist. Tommy "Rocko" played the Knott's Halloween Haunt shows in October, 1981. Al never heard from him again.

I thought it was interesting that it says Al never heard from him again. Did this guy play with Al before Jim? Did he never show up again or he just was a one time thing? Did they not get along or something?

Maybe you don't know but I just thought that was interesting.
drummer29

Post by drummer29 »

Mark Harris - bass & vocals

Played the Knott's Halloween Haunt shows in October, 1981. He and guitarist Tommy Vavrick decided not to stick with Al. Six months later Al recorded his first album, and the rest is history.

I just found this, any reason these two guys split?
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Yes, Tommy and Mark both preceeded Jim and Steve (you could verify that on weirdal.com where their Bio's state that Jim & Steve's first work with Al was in March, 1982)

They were also both asked if they wanted to be in "the band", and they declined. After all, there was no apparent reason at the time to think that there was an album lurking just around the corner, much less any kind of longevity in such a project...

But I did hear from Mark some years later, and he was kind of making sure I knew where to get hold of him in case we needed a bass player again. We've used a few other bass players, but didn't call Mark. I don't think I know where to reach him anymore, and I have no idea where Tommy is these days.

If anyone's interested, perhaps a search on the net might reveal something? Tommy also went by the name Tommy Rocco (or Rocko) and I believe that both he and Mark were in a Beatles tribute band a la Beatlemania. Tommy did sort of resemble Lennon...

Bermuda
drummer29

Post by drummer29 »

thanks for that extra information. I'm sure they're kicking themselves now for declining to be in the band.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

i guess they just didnt have the vision of Al that Bermuda had

Mike