Album release dates

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

belitcje

Album release dates

Post by belitcje »

Bermuda,

Al's most recent albums, (Bad Hair Day and Running With Scissors) were released three years apart from each other. When the first four albums were released in the 80's, they came out only one year part from each other. Why did the albums start being released in between three year intervals and will this releasing process continue or is it possible we may see an album in only another year or so after the new one comes out?
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

The albums were never released at deliberate intervals. A new release has always depended on when there's enough material, and (hopefully) a strong single. I think that in the 80s there was a lot more potential parody material, so those came more quickly, and Al has never had a problem generating the originals.

So, the "3-year" plan obviously won't workj this time around, and as for a new album within a year or the previous one, that might be a little difficult, as we tend to tour for 2 years on each album, during which there's little time to prepare a new one. in the 80s, we toured one time for 3 or 4 months, and then Al immediately began working on the next album. There was more material and more time available back then.

Bermuda
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

So, the "3-year" plan obviously won't work this time around, and as for a new album within a year or the previous one, that might be a little difficult, as we tend to tour for 2 years on each album, during which there's little time to prepare a new one.

How supportive or patient is Volcano during these lean times? I mean, it seemed as if Scotti Bros. wanted to always keep Al in the public eye somehow with a new release of some sort.

Does Volcano seem to be any different to you?
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

A label can't squeeze product out of an artist, except to create dubious hits packages (such as the TV Album & Food Album!) and I don't think Volcano will do that at this point. I don't know of any established artists who generate new albums every year or two, unless they have a huge backlog of songs or are recording covers and don't require time to write material.

3 years may seem like a long time, but it's not unusual.
belitcje

Re: Album Releases

Post by belitcje »

Thanks for the answer Bermuda. I've always wondered why all of a sudden the albums started coming out three years apart. However, this brings me to another question. You said that back in the 80's you only toured for about 3 to 4 months and then Al started on another album immediately after that. Why did you not tour then as much as you do now? There was more time to work on things because touring may not have taken up too much time if it didn't even last for a year. Also, how does Al feel when he thinks that it's time to come up with material for a new album? Does he like writing new songs or does he consider it hard to have to find new artists to parody?
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

In the 80s & early 90s, there just wasn't as much demand for us to appear. Through the years and the ever-growing fanbase, the demand has become greater, and we can easily return to a market 2, 3 or 4 times over a few years, and still sell tickets. Not because we know we can make money, but because prior dates have sold out, which means there are people who still want to see the show, and will buy tickets if they are offered again.

I don't know what Al thinks about the writing process.
belitcje

Re: Album release dates

Post by belitcje »

Thanks again for answering my question Bermuda. I hope I'm not sounding annoying but I have something else to ask. I know that you may know about some rumor going around that since Al has been married he doesn't have too much time to be working anymore because he wants to be with his wife or something like that. I know that you've mentioned in earlier posts that Al is still as enthusiastic about his song writing and touring as always but is it possible that this may be a final album or one of the final albums? As much as Al may enjoy doing his work, since he is married and has I'm sure plenty of money he can choose to settle down at anytime he would like. Is it possible that he may be considering that or would you think that to be silly and just tell everyone that there are a lot more albums and songs to look forward to?
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Writing and recording and performing is what Al does - a marriage doesn't put a halt to that! If I had married a woman who ended my career, you'd probably be chatting with Ruben right now!! I don't know who's saying that this is the last album, but I realize that most of our fans aren't married, and obviously don't understand how that relationship is supposed to work.
belitcje

Re: Album release dates

Post by belitcje »

Alright, thanks! You sounded a little upset in your last posting. I didn't mean to make anyone mad. I was just asking questions based on what I've been hearing. Since quite a few other people seem to believe the same thing, I figured I would just consult you and set it straight once and for all. Now, about the album that you guys are currently working on, on weirdal.com you say that although the band is back in the studio not to hold our breath because the release date won't be anytime soon. I want your personal opinon on this. Do you think the album will be ready by the end of 2002 or should we begin looking for it in the beginning of 2003?
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

I have no idea when the new album will be out. Could be this year, could be next year, could be the year after. For example, Off The Deep End was recorded over a nearly two year period.

I'm not angry about the questions, but I when I have to address the same questions more than once or twice, I begin to wonder if anyone really understands what an amazing resource the Internet is. Virtually everything I've ever answered remains available in a forum or on some site, and I really wish that the fans would take an extra minute and research their questions before asking again.

I will say it one last time: the idea of Al stopping his life's work just because he got married, is ridiculous.

Bermuda