no song suggestions

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

Jebediah
Occasional

no song suggestions

Post by Jebediah »

From all my years as a Weird Al fan, I know that Al and the band would never take song suggestions. However - and I know this isn't all that likely - but what if Al was already in the middle of writing a parody, and someone wrote him suggesting the same parody. Again, this isn't all that likely, but I mean one of the more obvious ones. Would he actually be allowed to finish writing the song?

:stupid: Jebediah
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

That's why Al never sees parody ideas, so there's no question about his parodies being his.
Johnnytimewarp
Occasional

Post by Johnnytimewarp »

From what I remember reading in Ask Al, I believe all of Al's mail gets read and screened before he even gets it, so all parody ideas are automatically tossed in the garbage...
Cat_Barf
Occasional

Post by Cat_Barf »

Have you ever experienceed fans giving sugestions or hearing about them through the grape vine done by Al? Perhaps on the internet?
Signed,

Cat Barf
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

If you mean, do fans suggest a lot, yes, they try to and I get dozens of emails with ideas which I promptly delete and reply that Al cannot be reached through his site, and doesn't accept song ideas anyway.

I don't get the rest of your question...
Cat_Barf
Occasional

Post by Cat_Barf »

I know it sounds confusing, but all I'm trying to ask is if you have somehow crossed the path of a suggestion and then Al has done it without him knowing it.

Or I could ask if you, yourself, have had ideas pop in you head, without splurting them to the rest of the world, and then they are actually published.
Signed,

Cat Barf
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

I know it sounds confusing, but all I'm trying to ask is if you have somehow crossed the path of a suggestion and then Al has done it without him knowing it.
No.
Or I could ask if you, yourself, have had ideas pop in you head, without splurting them to the rest of the world, and then they are actually published.

No.
cooledman
Occasional

Post by cooledman »

lets say i wrote a parody, and i never sumbitted to Al, then a few monthes later i hear Al's voice singing something similiar to mine, WOULD I HAVE A LAWSUIT ON MY HANDS?
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

i believe the only way you could sue him is if you had the song copyrighted before al did.

Mike
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

You would also have to prove in court that Al had knowledge of your song in order to have plagiarized it. Otherwise, the court would just accept that 2 people independently came up with something similar, and that the person who copyrighted it first 'wins'.