Asian Al Fans, Raise Your Hands!

The forum where non-US fans can discuss Weird Al and his band

Moderator: Moderators

Miki

Post by Miki »

G’day, everyone!

I was born in Japan. I became Al fan when I was still living there. Now I live in Australia. I look Japanese but I don’t have the citizenship any more (not allowed to have dual citizenship). I’m wondering which category I should be in. :)

So am I the only current Asian-born Al fan here? (I’m sure Jody’s baby will be the cutest future Chinese-born American fan.)

Anyway I'm a newbie here. I posted more about me in The Introduction Topic in Newbie Zone. Nice to see you all!
Zelda27
Occasional

Post by Zelda27 »

Hi Miki and welcome!

Thanks for the nice words about our baby... I can't wait to meet her and put her in a little Hawaiian shirt!

WEIRD question for any Asian born fans... The lyric from "Fat" that says "I've got more chins than Chinatown"... is that offensive at all? I thought it was funny, but a friend was worried that it might be offensive... Any opinions?

Thanks!
Jody
That's when I met the girl of my dreams. Her name was Zelda...
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

We discussed that Fat lyric before, I remember. I think we decided that "chins" was not an ethnic slur but actually "Chins"-- Al was just saying that there are a lot of people with that surname in Chinatown. And that doesn't seem particularly offensive to me.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Zelda27 @ Apr 12 2004, 06:55 PM wrote: Actually, our daughter is in China. We hope to pick her up in August. We don't know who she is yet. She's probably born, but that's all we know! I'll keep you posted...

Jody
Well, that's exciting news!

Is Russia on the Asian continent? Is Russia even still what I think it is (imagining the borders of the old USSR.)

Geography is not my best subject. <_<
Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Insert Coin(s) to Continue »

Russia is in both Asia and Europe, Seva was bon in the European side, though.
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
http://caneandrinse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zelda27
Occasional

Post by Zelda27 »

Thanks for your input OE on the Chin question. I don't think any of Al's lyrics are offensive, but I was curious how other people felt.

Thanks!
That's when I met the girl of my dreams. Her name was Zelda...
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

scottidog @ Apr 26 2004, 08:21 AM wrote:
Is Russia on the Asian continent? Is Russia even still what I think it is (imagining the borders of the old USSR.)

Geography is not my best subject. <_<
Well, you're right, USSR lost many its parts after crashing - Ukraine, Belarus, Georgia, Armenia, others, but we're still the biggest of the biggest in the whole world! And our most part lies in Asia - Siberia goes a long way! :D
I live in St. Petersburg, which was always considered as a most European-looking and oriented city in Russia. Even Moscow, which lies 800 km from us (not so far for Russia), already has something Asian in it, in architecture, structure, anywhere... Initially it was completely Peter The Great's idea to make our city what it is today, inviting architects from all Europe - Italy, France, Netherlands (Hi WHiZZi and RWDW! Duh... :P ) and others.
I always miss glasses on Peter The Great's picture...

SEVA.
"Synonym" is an anthonym for "homonym".
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I remember when BHD came out some people on the old newsgroup found the angry Japaneese man on the phone on "Phony Calls" to be offensive. I don't see why, but whatever....
modular
Obsessed

Post by modular »

He was really Japanese, and wasn't given a script or anything, I don't know why they found that offensive.
I am gone until June, as a result of the Junior Cert, a very large exam.
Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Insert Coin(s) to Continue »

Bruce the Duck @ May 3 2004, 10:09 AM wrote: I remember when BHD came out some people on the old newsgroup found the angry Japaneese man on the phone on "Phony Calls" to be offensive. I don't see why, but whatever....
I think it was just promoting the idea that all Asians are quick tempered which isn't true.
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
http://caneandrinse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;