Teach Yourself English

The forum where non-US fans can discuss Weird Al and his band

Moderator: Moderators

Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

The Sporkman @ May 30 2004, 09:06 PM wrote: One of the primary difference between the two varieties of English is the spelling of the "or" sound: an American says "humor" and "neighborhood" while an Englishman says "humour" and "neighbourhood" -- the redundant U is inserted/removed depending upon which way you look at it. Also, there is difference in relation to words ending in an "er" sound: Americans say "theater" and center" while the English say "theatre" and "centre." Americans also seem prone to pronounce more syllables than the British, e.g. the word necessary is pronounced "nec-ess-ar-y" in American English and "nec-ess-'ry" in British English. Certain English people also seem utterly incapable of pronouncing the initial H and the mid-word T sounds; they'll pronounce "have" as "'ave" and "British" as "Bri'ish." And I haven't even touched upon the differences in slang terminology!
Seva wrote: Umm... not exactly. You see, we Russians also do have words such as "week-end" (уик-энд) and "hot-dog" (хот-дог), but that definitely doesn't mean that we have Rusglish nowadays, don't you think?

My point was that nowadays, a Frenchman would be more inclined to use English-based words such as "week-end" and "hot-dog" as opposed to the French-based phrases "le fin de la semaine" and "le saucisson chaud." By the way, franglais was a term actually coined by the French; I'm not responsible for it.
Duh, yeah, I dare say that American English sounds a lot more understandable to me than British. When Al says something, I understand almost every word, while I cannot say the same during watching a Monty Python sketch. And that incomprehensible Cockney accent! When I was watching some British charts on MTV, the DJ was speaking on it, and I wasn't sure it was English: heyyy, what's that, Dutch? Or Danish? And David Bowie goes that way too - "Hello SpIceboy!", instead of "SpAceboy".

And yes, of course I know that Franglais is a French word; I just wanted to make us sure what it is. ;)

SEVA.
-waiting for admiration...
"Synonym" is an anthonym for "homonym".
ThewEiRdOne27
Obsessed

Post by ThewEiRdOne27 »

Seva @ May 30 2004, 07:19 PM wrote: Duh, yeah, I dare say that American English sounds a lot more understandable to me than British. When Al says something, I understand almost every word, wwhile I cannot say the same during watching a Monty Python sketch. And that incomprehensible Cockney accent! When I was watching some British charts on MTV, the DJ was speaking on it, and I wasn't sure it was English: heyyy, what's that, Dutch? Or Danish? And David Bowie goes that way too - "Hello SpIceboy!", instead of "SpAceboy".
I'm surprised, since I would be inclined to think that people (especially from Europe) would find British English a lot easier than American English, mainly because of pronunciations and usage. From what I thought, we Americans tend to sound stilted to Europeans.

Take for example Shakespeare. When you try to do his work in American English, it becomes very hard. However, a British accent makes everything flow.

But then again, it's done in Old English from the 1500's.
Seva wrote: SEVA.

HAHA! You wish! :P

I admire how well you've picked up on English, Seva.
"Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that sometimes he has to eat them."-Adlai Stevenson
The Sporkman
Addicted

Post by The Sporkman »

Seva @ May 30 2004, 06:19 PM wrote: SEVA.
Ah, we admire you, Seva; I guess you're just such an admirable guy, we simply find it unnecessary and redundant to express our extreme admiration toward you.
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

:whoot:

SEVA.
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

ThewEiRdOne27 @ May 31 2004, 03:36 AM wrote: I'm surprised, since I would be inclined to think that people (especially from Europe) would find British English a lot easier than American English, mainly because of pronunciations and usage. From what I thought, we Americans tend to sound stilted to Europeans.

Take for example Shakespeare. When you try to do his work in American English, it becomes very hard. However, a British accent makes everything flow.

But then again, it's done in Old English from the 1500's.
Seva wrote: SEVA.

HAHA! You wish! :P

I admire how well you've picked up on English, Seva.
Yes, I also find it very interesting, since some of my friends hate American English and insist on all-British pronunciation... why you ask? well, some for their work, and some mostly for being fashionable, if you know what I mean.

A-hem... I don't think they seriously translated Shakespeare into American English; after all, his works don't contain pants/trousers or gas/petrol problems - well, at least as far as I noticed. :lol: But then again, yeah, it's an Old English from the 1500's. ( I always loved the way you put your thoughts The Weird One!)

Still, any more reason why you love or hate the way Al uses English? Go ahead, discuss!

SEVA.
ThewEiRdOne27
Obsessed

Post by ThewEiRdOne27 »

Seva @ May 30 2004, 10:33 PM wrote: Still, any more reason why you love or hate the way Al uses English? Go ahead, discuss!
Al uses English incredibly well, especially considering how most people use it ("I don't owe nobody in my family nothin'."). He's one of the few musicians/singers I've heard that reinforces a more proper use of the language... without going nuts and saying, "Thou hath not taken from thy cup the liquid which such the device contained."

I noticed one missuse by Al. In WBUL, he says, "My lips are registered weapons, can I invade your personal space?" While it's not grammatically wrong, what he's actually asking is "do I have the ability to invade your personal space?" instead of "do I have permission?", which is what he's most likely asking.

"Can" should be replaced with "may".
"Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that sometimes he has to eat them."-Adlai Stevenson
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

ThewEiRdOne27 @ May 31 2004, 06:51 AM wrote: "Thou hath not taken from thy cup the liquid which such the device contained."

:lol: What's THAT?!

Yeah, despite the fact it was a fake interview, Em showed to all of us what a******* he is. (Never thought of it before! He seemed to be a talented artist to me!) I'm very glad Al had his revenge hour at that time. "I don't believe that nobody can not swear"! Now what kind of talk is that?!

And thanks for explaining that WBUL problem. The point is, I'm not so deep into those smallest details. I know, I know, I should be...

SEVA.
ThewEiRdOne27
Obsessed

Post by ThewEiRdOne27 »

Seva @ May 30 2004, 11:00 PM wrote: :lol:  What's THAT?!
I was mocking Old English. I was basically saying, "You haven't drank any water from the cup."
Seva wrote: Em showed to all of us what a ****** he is.

Fixed. :Y
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

Uh, sorry, I'll go for an edit. I wasn't sure about an etimology, I thought it was "ass" as an old "donkey"... anyway, sorry please!

SEVA.
ThewEiRdOne27
Obsessed

Post by ThewEiRdOne27 »

Seva @ May 30 2004, 11:06 PM wrote: Uh, sorry, I'll go for an edit. I wasn't sure about an etimology, I thought it was "ass" as an old "donkey"... anyway, sorry please!
Don't worry. It's all good.

You're correct. "Ass" means donkey in the traditional sense. But it also means one's rear end, and it's often an insult which you don't use in front of children.