Worst Weird Al Song

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Iamabrawler
Die-hard Fan

Re: Worst Weird Al Song

Post by Iamabrawler »

I actually enjoy Ringtone as well. Then again, if I say I also enjoy Syndicated Inc, I'll get some bits of hatred in my private messaging. I think I just love the acordion bit in the latter.
"So I went in my garaage, got in my care
And I drived, talking with my blue teeth
My boyfreind told me don't cree
Come to my houss, don't worraye,
we'll talk about this togeedurr."
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Post by Wizzerkat »

How many of these do folks agree with?

http://www.411mania.com/music/columns/2 ... rodies.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is my dude a dweeb?
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Going down the list...

I think "She Drives Like Crazy" is a fair pick and would likely make my list of worst parodies. The lyrics aren't that great, but it's a moot point because you can barely understand them. I remember reading a quote from Al that he knew it'd be tough to pull off a Roland Gift impersonation, so he went with a cartoony, Mickey Mouse-on-helium kind of thing, but it totally destroys the song.

"Addicted to Spuds" I like but I don't disagree with the premise that there are a few lines--hell, the entire verse that begins with "I'm giving up / It's just no use"--that are of the elementary school model of parody, in which you pretty much just take the original song and periodically change one or two words. I mean, I'm not going to say that my Backstreet Boys parody, "Quit Makin' Me Want to Fart" was earth-shattering, but at least it made sense, unlike the kid who thought it was the pinnacle of hilarity to sing "Quit Playing Games with My Fart." C'mon, buddy. Put a little effort into it.

I was actually just listening to Poodle Hat tonight and was thinking how underrated "Trash Day" is. The music isn't great, but that's not Al's fault. Maybe a few forced rhymes in there but overall I think it's pretty well-executed.

"TMZ"...really? I think it's one of the highlights of Alpocalypse, and given how well it did in the Survivor poll, I know I'm not alone. I'm not exactly sure what their criticism is either; it just kind of concludes that the parody is "ill-conceived" for some reason.

"I Want a New Duck" isn't terrible by any means, and I do enjoy it, but I can admit it's not top-tier Al material.

My only problem with "A Complicated Song" is that it (obviously) feels like three different, incomplete ideas that Al just kind of slapped together. And I realize that's sort of referenced by the title and IIRC Al mentioned he had trouble settling on one concept for this song...but if that's the case, he probably shouldn't have parodied "Complicated." That said, I do like the jokes in this one. I think the line about the narrator's neck enjoying a pleasant breeze is especially clever.

GJWTHL and SI pretty much speak for themselves. Neither is as bad as they're made out to be, but let's face it; these would both be shoo-ins for a "Worst of Weird Al" compilation.

"Couch Potato" just hasn't aged well. I don't dislike it but I'm not crazy about it the way I was when PH first came out. There's a negativity that will forever be linked to the song because of the whole video fiasco, and its absence on even the bonus disc of Essential--despite being a lead single--says a lot.
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Post by Wizzerkat »

For me:

I quite like Trash Day and A Complicated Song and would not put them on any "worst" list.
Girls Just Want to Have Lunch and She Drives like Crazy would definitely be on any worst list of mine.
The inclusion on TMZ is just wrong, IMO. I agree it's a highlight of Alpocalypse I think it's a pretty darn strong song.
I like Syndicated, Inc fairly well. I used to not like it but it grew on me. The lyrics could definitely be better but I listen to look forward to the accordion solo :)
Couch Potato-Not the best of worst he's ever done. Kinda middlin' I am not sure if it would make a worst list.
Duck and Spuds-not fantastic IMO and it might make a bottom of a worst list if I took time to make a list.
Is my dude a dweeb?
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Worst Weird Al Song

Post by Kevbo1987 »

I'm fine with most of that list, but I do agree that TMZ should not be on there. It's one of the best songs on Alpocalypse and a great parody overall,
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Yeah, that list is way off. I really enjoy many of the parodies on there, and TMZ is among my favorite Al songs.
And Peggy
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

"She Drives Like Crazy" should've replaced another song on that list, rather than only making it to "honorable mention."

I only agree strongly with the last three. Other than that, I feel like it was way off. "Addicted To Spuds" honestly is probably the best parody off "Polka Party." TMZ is my absolute favorite off "Alpocalypse." While "I Want A New Duck" isn't exactly and inspiring track, I still love it and it's by-far my favorite surprise song that Al brought back on the tour.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
wonderbrat31

Post by wonderbrat31 »

It's interesting to read the songs people think are Al's worst. There's a lotta songs I love in these posts! But that's why we're all individuals and why Al writes a lot of songs, I suppose, eh?

Well... again, it almost seems like sacrilege to suggest that Al could do a song I don't like, but... I'll say this: "Off The Deep End" was the very first Al album I ever bought that I did not like all of the songs in it. I was shocked, really - I didn't think Al could do a song I didn't like. However, I have to say that I have never really cared much for "The Plumbing Song." Just never did much for me.

But I absolutely love almost every other song on that album. Some are among my absolute favorite Al songs!

I remember reading later that Al did this album and "Alapalooza" at the same time, which I don't think he's ever made two albums at the same time since (I'm sure someone will let me know if I'm wrong about any of this!), and it sorta helped explain to me why he could have done a song in this album that I found substandard.

One at a time, Al. They're worth waiting for. :-)
This is important... this means something.

http://www.hamstertails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Yeah its pretty cool he made two totally amazing albums, in such a short amount of time. ALOT of big hits when you look at both those albums.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

Honestly, it really does show that he did them at the same time -- Alapalooza is incredibly substandard.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.