The Elton John Style Parody Mystery

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

bermuda
Be jealous.

Re: Album 14 Speculation :3

Post by bermuda »

mrmeadows wrote:Also could be a roundabout way of checking Elton John (who I don't believe he's ever spoofed*) off his checklist.
There was an attempt at an Elton John style-parody, but it didn't end up sounding like the intended vibe. :oo
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

bermuda wrote:There was an attempt at an Elton John style-parody, but it didn't end up sounding like the intended vibe. :oo
Was that for the upcoming? Or was it for a prior release?
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Nope, it's already out there. But speculation should be started in a new thread. :)
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Was it Hardware Store? If not its gotta be something off the first album
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

minnick27 wrote:Was it Hardware Store? If not its gotta be something off the first album
I believe that was originally supposed to be a Presidents of the USA style parody!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
AccordionChick
Occasional

Post by AccordionChick »

bermuda wrote:
mrmeadows wrote:Also could be a roundabout way of checking Elton John (who I don't believe he's ever spoofed*) off his checklist.
There was an attempt at an Elton John style-parody, but it didn't end up sounding like the intended vibe. :oo
I know the speculation should be elsewhere, but I thought somewhere I heard "Nature Trail To Hell" sort of sounds like "Funeral For A Friend"...

Anyway if Aloe Blacc's "The Man" is parodied, I'd love that some Elton John/Bernie Taupin work is in an Al-bum.
Concerts Attended: 1
September 19th, 2011 - Pikes Peak Center, Colorado Springs, CO

Some people say I'm the one who got Al to be in an Epic Rap Battles of History.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

The Elton John Style Parody Mystery

Post by mrmeadows »

minnick27 wrote:Was it Hardware Store? If not its gotta be something off the first album
My uneducated guess would be "Cable TV".

Also, I know "Don't Wear Those Shoes" has been compared more to a style parody of The Kinks, but it came out just a couple years after Elton's "Who Wears These Shoes?", so always wondered if that's where Al got the inspiration to write DWTS.

But anyway, back to Album 14 speculation. Yeah, I'd be happy as a hog in slop with a parody of a classic Elton John song! (Wasn't "Ode to a Superhero" almost a parody of "Rocket Man"? What happened there? Did EJ not give his blessing, or did "Piano Man" just work better?)
AccordionChick
Occasional

Post by AccordionChick »

mrmeadows wrote:
My uneducated guess would be "Cable TV".

Also, I know "Don't Wear Those Shoes" has been compared more to a style parody of The Kinks, but it came out just a couple years after Elton's "Who Wears These Shoes?", so always wondered if that's where Al got the inspiration to write DWTS.

But anyway, back to Album 14 speculation. Yeah, I'd be happy as a hog in slop with a parody of a classic Elton John song! (Wasn't "Ode to a Superhero" almost a parody of "Rocket Man"? What happened there? Did EJ not give his blessing, or did "Piano Man" just work better?)
I think it was "Nature Trail To Hell" actually. To me it sounds like the style of "Funeral For A Friend" from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (GYBR).

But yeah definitely a classic Elton John song parody would be the best! "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", "Bennie & The Jets", or "Candle In The Wind" would be awesome ones from the GYBR album. I like to believe it's possible since the 40th anniversary edition was released last year, but who knows what Al has in store :)
About "Ode To A Superhero" though, I believe it might've sounded better as a "Piano Man" parody but "Rocket Man" was Al's first idea.
Concerts Attended: 1
September 19th, 2011 - Pikes Peak Center, Colorado Springs, CO

Some people say I'm the one who got Al to be in an Epic Rap Battles of History.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

AccordionChick wrote:
mrmeadows wrote: About "Ode To A Superhero" though, I believe it might've sounded better as a "Piano Man" parody but "Rocket Man" was Al's first idea.
Source?
And Peggy
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

mrmeadows wrote:(Wasn't "Ode to a Superhero" almost a parody of "Rocket Man"? What happened there? Did EJ not give his blessing, or did "Piano Man" just work better?)
If only there was someone on this forum to ask...
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.