Create a 1-Disc Weird Al Best-of

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

anthontherun
Be jealous.

Create a 1-Disc Weird Al Best-of

Post by anthontherun »

Now that Al's contract is up, it's time to create a career-spanning single disc that can serve as the ultimate introduction to an Al newbie.

THE RULES
-You must stick to a roughly 50/50 selection of parodies and originals.
-You can only use commercially released material.
-You have 80 minutes to work with. If you really love "Albuquerque," "Jackson Park Express," "Trapped in the Drive-Thru," and "Genius in France," and you want to include them, that's cool, but realize that you've used up more half your space with just four songs.

And that's pretty much it. You don't have to include a polka, and you don't have to include a song from every album.

Here's what I came up with:

THE MUSTS - These are the songs that one day will be preserved by the Library of Congress as historical cultural artifacts. The only way you don't know these songs is if you're just getting out of a coma from 1983, in which case, thanks for making WOWAY one of your first stops on this newfangled Internet thingy! :welcome:
Eat It
Like a Surgeon
Dare to Be Stupid
Smells Like Nirvana
Amish Paradise
White and Nerdy

That starts us off with 6 tracks, a 5:1 parody-to-original ratio, and 20:17 of space taken.

THE ALMOST-MUSTS - These are all perfectly logical inclusions on a best-of, but there wouldn't necessarily be rioting in the streets if one or two were left off.
I Lost on Jeopardy
One More Minute
Yoda
Fat
UHF (I don't think that this song necessarily belongs with the rest as far as notoriety goes, but it was the title theme to his movie so it probably deserves a slot. Also, we'll use the single edit)

That brings us to 11 tracks total, an 8:3 parody-to-original ratio, and 39:20 of space taken. Oddly enough, a full third of these songs are from DTBS, which I've always considered one of Al's lesser efforts. Anyway, now that we've got the general public on board with the gateway drug of parodies, it's time to pump up the original count.

THE PUMP UP THE ORIGINALS COUNT - They may not be as well-known to the public, but these fan favorites are essential into understanding Al. (Ooh, let's call the compilation Understanding Al, with a really serious black and white picture of him on the cover. That'll really fool people.)
Dog Eat Dog
Good Old Days
You Don't Love Me Anymore
Frank's 2000" TV
Albuquerque (I'm really fighting myself on this one. It's such a definitive Al track, but if I take it off, I can fit three other songs in its place. We'll keep it for now, but it may get knocked off for no reason other than sheer length.)

I almost included "This is the Life" here but we're already pretty packed with DTBS material, an album that I clearly need to re-examine. We're at 16 tracks now, an even 8 parodies and 8 originals, and 65:59 of space taken. 14 minutes to go, and the following albums have yet to be represented: "Weird Al" Yankovic, Poodle Hat, Alpocalypse, and Mandatory Fun(!). Jeez, this is harder than I expected. Normally I would feel compelled to represent everything, but it's just not going to happen. My gut is telling me not to cut "Albuquerque." Including a polka remains a question mark. I'd like to, but we're now on a track-to-track basis on what can fit.

THE BEST OF THE REST
Another One Rides the Bus
eBay
Skipper Dan
Tacky (My preference is "Word Crimes," but "Tacky" seemed to get the most traction)

Wow, I didn't even intend for this, but that perfectly worked out to include something from the unrepresented albums! No polka, but that's ok. We're at 20 tracks, 11 parodies and 9 originals (which I'll consider "close enough"), and 79:10. And that--wait, hold on a second. "Tacky" is exactly 50 seconds shorter than "Word Crimes." Swap them and we hit 80 minutes EXACTLY. Sorry Pharrell, it's fate. I have to do it. This disc literally cannot handle one more second of music, and that's the way it should be.

UNDERSTANDING AL - The final track list
  1. Amish Paradise
  2. One More Minute
  3. Word Crimes
  4. Good Old Days
  5. Another One Rides the Bus
  6. You Don't Love Me Anymore
  7. eBay
  8. Like a Surgeon
  9. Skipper Dan
  10. I Lost on Jeopardy
  11. Yoda
  12. Eat It
  13. UHF
  14. Smells Like Nirvana
  15. Dare to Be Stupid
  16. Albuquerque
  17. Dog Eat Dog
  18. Fat
  19. Frank's 2000" TV
  20. White and Nerdy
It's not chronological because otherwise we'd have to start off with at least 3 parodies in a row. One track each from most albums, except two from In 3-D, four from DTBS, two from EW, and two from OTDE. This feels way too heavy on 80s material, but that's in no way at all a reflection of Al's career, because he's only been getting better over the years. But honestly, the only pre-"UHF" track that I'd feel comfortable losing here is "Dog Eat Dog," but then it'd feel awkward to have every album represented except Polka Party! I mean, it may seem excessive on paper to have one album take up nearly 20% of the tracks, but which of those DTBS songs can you reasonably get rid of? Gun to my head, I'd say "Yo--no, I take that back. You'd have to shoot me. I can't do it.

Now excuse me while I go lie down for a couple hours.
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Re: Create a 1-Disc Weird Al Best-of

Post by RunningWithScissors »

Great idea!

First I open up my burning software and add every Al song I would conciser essential... Only 135 mins! It was already hard not including some.

I'm going to start by taking off Ricky, and UHF, UHF I love it, but the album version is 5 mins long. That will save some time.

Hmm... As much as I love them I'm going to have to get rid of "Buy Me A Condo", "Midnight Star" and "You Make Me". Down to 116.

Bye night Santa went crazy, and Since You've Been Gone.

Even though I love it, I will get rid of The Plumbing song... 106.

...I can live without Fat. I really can. Sorry.

At this point I make the tracks go from longest to shortest to see what jumps out... and the 8 longest are the definition of essential!

Guess I'll get rid of Jurassic Park, and.... I can also live without Smells Like Nirvana...

I'm gonna get so much hate for my list... (95 mins)

Gonna get rid of My Own Eyes and Callin' In Sick. 87 mins... getting there!

I know what I said about the top 8 but... Push comes to shove, I'll get rid of Skipper Dan. See if I can get away with just deleting one more... Nope. It's gotta be two. Before I decide what two, I should do a count of Parody VS Original... Wow, I really thought Originals would be winning, but, I was wrong, 8 originals and 11 Parodies... okay lets see...

Going to take off I Love Rocky Road... and... Beverly Hillbillies...

But with almost two mins left, I added two more Originals. One I didn't think about adding till there was just that little bit of time left... (I thought hard about adding back Since You've Been Gone, but I decided this one was more essential) And the other one... I needed to fill 30 secs!!!

So here is my complete list!

#1 Albuquerque
#2 Word Crimes
#3 You Don't Love Me Anymore
#4 Dare To Be Stupid
#5 White And Nerdy
#6 The Saga Begins
#7 Frank's 2000" TV
#8 One More Minute
#9 It's All About The Pentiums
#10 Everything You Know Is Wrong
#11 Germs
#12 Amish Paradise
#13 Tacky
#14 I Lost On Jeopardy
#15 Virus Alert
#16 Like A Surgeon
#17 Gump
#18 Headline News
#19 Yoda
#20 The Weird Al Show Theme
#21 Harvey The Wonder Hamster (Sorry.)

11 Parodies, 10 Originals.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Awesome list! You took the harder approach--I can't even imagine eliminating from the entire list of candidates. There were some surprises in what you were considering--I think you and I are the only people who love "The Plumbing Song." Was "Eat It" ever in the running for you, or was that a first round cut?

(And yes, I was totally prepared to toss in "Let Me Be Your Hog" or "Harvey the Wonder Hamster" if I had a spare 30 seconds or so, haha.)
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Okay I am creating a playlist like this and ended up doing it similarly to the way RunningWithScissors did it.
I started with 33 songs totaling 122 min, which is what I would consider the absolute essentials to understanding his career.
Cutting out 42 minutes, here's the tracklist I came up with:

1. Another One Rides The Bus
2. Eat It
3. Like A Surgeon
4. Dare To Be Stupid
5. Yoda
6. Dog Eat Dog
7. Fat
8. The Biggest Ball of Twine In Minnesota
9. Smells Like Nirvana
10. You Don't Love Me Anymore
11. Bedrock Anthem
12. Amish Paradise
13. Since You've Been Gone
14. The Night Santa Went Crazy
15. The Saga Begins
16. Hardware Store
17. Bob
18. White and Nerdy
18. Perform This Way
19. Craigslist
21. Foil
22. Word Crimes

This is 13 parodies and 9 originals. I really like the flow in chronological order rather than trying to come up with some other tracklist. If someone did come out of a 30+ year coma, I think playing the songs in this order would make more sense to show the progression of his career.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Post by RunningWithScissors »

anthontherun wrote:Awesome list! You took the harder approach--I can't even imagine eliminating from the entire list of candidates. There were some surprises in what you were considering--I think you and I are the only people who love "The Plumbing Song." Was "Eat It" ever in the running for you, or was that a first round cut?

(And yes, I was totally prepared to toss in "Let Me Be Your Hog" or "Harvey the Wonder Hamster" if I had a spare 30 seconds or so, haha.)
I know! People seem to hate The Plumbing Song, but I really enjoy it, especially how it's two parodies in one, and they just flow together perfectly!

I have never been a big fan of Eat It. I respect the fact that it got Al his start pretty much, but it got old for me really quick. (LOL, I'm listening to music on random and right then Eat It came on! ...Skip!)

:)
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

After all the cuts and what not, man this was hard. In order to fit it all on one disc and keep it essential, many favs were slashed:

1. Fat
2. Amish Paradise
3. Frank's 2000" TV
4. Word Crimes
5. You Don't Love Me Anymore
6. Smells Like Nirvana
7. Living With A Hernia
8. Money For Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies
9. You Make Me
10. The Saga Begins
11. Perform This Way
12. Nature Trail To Hell
13. Another One Rides The Bus
14. Ode To A Superhero
15. Dare To Be Stupid
16. Eat It
17. My Bologna
18. Lasagna
19. Yoda
20. White & Nerdy
21. UHF
22. The Night Santa Went Crazy

Included more parodies than I really wanted to but for a newbie I think this would be pretty good. To hit every album obviously had to only include one from some of them. Wanted to include more from Alpocalypse and Mandatory Fun but just couldn't. :lame:
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Anybody notice I had You Make Me down twice? Was moving it to another slot and I guess I forgot to switch one. Nature Trail To Hell is on my disc.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

it would be interesting to see what would actually appear on an 80-minute disc considering how many "hits" Al has had over the years. there's really no good way to do this and have anywhere near a 50-50 split of parodies and originals if this is to be considered a best-of. also there definitely needs to be a polka.

chronological order:
1. my bologna
2. another one rides the bus
3. eat it
4. I lost on jeopardy
5. like a surgeon
6. dare to be stupid
7. yoda
8. fat
9. good old days
10. uhf (single version)
11. smells like nirvana
12. you don't love me anymore
13. Jurassic park
14. amish paradise
15. the alternative polka
16. spy hard
17. the saga begins
18. it's all about the pentiums
19. white & nerdy
20. pancreas
21. CNR
22. foil
23. tacky

no tracks from Poodle Hat or Polka Party (rightfully so). my iTunes lists this as 80:07 so some of the gaps at the end of the tracks would have to be cut to even make this work. I've done this a couple times in the past while making a weird al "greatest hits" for my car, although then it's really just the songs I want on it, where songs like "amish paradise," "like a surgeon," and a few others wouldn't be so necessary. I think, though, the 2-disc (or 3-disc) "essential weird al Yankovic" release means we are unlikely to ever see a one-disc best-of.
taste is only something if it is yours.
claykid12345
Occasional
Awards: nothing

Post by claykid12345 »

This took me a WHILE to compile.
Hey, that rhymed!
The rules? 1 songs per album.
These are of his more well-known songs.
That's why it's called:
"Weird Al" Yankovic: The Hits:
1.Another One Rides The Bus
2.Eat It
3.Dare To Be Stupid
4.Living With a Hernia
5.Fat
6.UHF
7.Smells Like Nirvana
8.Jurassic Park :jp:
9.Amish Paradise
10.The Saga Begins
11.Couch Potato
12.White & Nerdy
13.Perform This Way
14.Handy

I even made cover art for it!
Dedicated, I know:
...it's time to let your babies grow up to be cowboys, it's time to let the bedbugs bite...
Weird Al Concerts I've been to:
6/30/16 - Kansas City, MO (Mandatory Fun Tour)
8/31/19 - Kansas City, MO (Strings Attached Tour)