The Marvin Gaye/Blurred Lines Verdict and Al Originals

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Re: The Marvin Gaye/Blurred Lines Verdict and Al Originals

Post by Teh Dingo »

Read that Bruno Mars and Mark Ronson went ahead and added extra songwritng credits to Uptown Funk to avoid getting in any soundalike hot water with the Gap Band.

I imagine Al might use a similar strategy in the future if he feels something could happen
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
offbeatbryce
Occasional

Post by offbeatbryce »

I wonder if adding the writers is enough. Did Bruno Mars and Mark Ronson get permission to add the writers? Adding writers does nothing if the publishers didn't approve it. That seemed to be the main problem with the Robin Thicke situation.

As a side not. Taylor Swift had trademarked certain lines of her songs. I wonder how many other artists have trademarked lines or words?
chickadee
Regular

Post by chickadee »

I just read all of the posts relating to the Marvin Gaye - Robin Thicke case. I really hope that what I have to say is not inappropriate for this forum but I do have a question.
I am very offended by the parodist Bart Baker. He makes me feel bad with his low blows to the artists he parodies. I feel that they're mean and poorly done. But I'm puzzled by how he gets away with not getting permission or paying any royalties. I read at one time that Lorde wanted to sue him but couldn't.
I'm happy to live in a world where a good man like Al exists to show respect and pride in his hard, well thought out work. He sets an example to me at how I want to treat and be treated by others.
I hope that bringing up another parodist isn't out of line, but I brought it up because he's an example of a very popular person on youtube taking advantage of artists and getting rich.
IFoundMyYankochicks
Die-hard Fan

Post by IFoundMyYankochicks »

chickadee wrote:I just read all of the posts relating to the Marvin Gaye - Robin Thicke case. I really hope that what I have to say is not inappropriate for this forum but I do have a question.
I am very offended by the parodist Bart Baker. He makes me feel bad with his low blows to the artists he parodies. I feel that they're mean and poorly done. But I'm puzzled by how he gets away with not getting permission or paying any royalties. I read at one time that Lorde wanted to sue him but couldn't.
I'm happy to live in a world where a good man like Al exists to show respect and pride in his hard, well thought out work. He sets an example to me at how I want to treat and be treated by others.
I hope that bringing up another parodist isn't out of line, but I brought it up because he's an example of a very popular person on youtube taking advantage of artists and getting rich.
its good to know that I'm not the only one here who hates him. Bart Baker changes the instruments, but keeps the same notes, so it sounds very off when you listen to it. probably because he is afraid of copyright or getting sued.
Concerts Attended: The Masonic (San Fransisco) 8/29/15

Al is our supreme lord
aLuMiNaTi
chickadee
Regular

Post by chickadee »

IFoundMyYankochicks, Thank you so much for responding to my post. I feel really offended by Baker and cringe when I try to give him a chance. It's always disheartening to see him not being funny, but vulgar and crude. You're response, reflecting the same feelings, make me love this forum even more. I'm finding out that Al fans are really special, thoughtful, caring people. Thank you!!!!! :D
offbeatbryce
Occasional

Post by offbeatbryce »

chickadee wrote:I just read all of the posts relating to the Marvin Gaye - Robin Thicke case. I really hope that what I have to say is not inappropriate for this forum but I do have a question.
I have the answer to your question.

I am with a YouTube Network "We Are The Hits" They get you the licenses to cover songs and make money off these covers on YouTube. It's free and all you do is find a song you want to use and if says you can monetize it you have permission. I emailed the support people of this network since I'm with them and Bart Baker is part of the same YouTube Network. According to the Support people at We Are The Hits their agreement allows parodies, any form of derivative works etc so no one can be sued if they go through them. So Lorde did want to sue him but when she found out he was with a network she couldn't because her label signed off on allowing anything by her to be allowed by this network.