The Hamilton Polka

No file trading allowed!

Moderator: Moderators

mrmeadows
Obsessed

Re: The Hamilton Polka

Post by mrmeadows »

I'm in the "formerly clueless about Hamilton" camp, but I really dig the polka! As others have said, I know enough history to be able to follow it, and I know just enough about the *musical* Hamilton to be dangerous, especially after YouTubing many of the songs from the soundtrack over the last couple days! It's an extremely fun polka with great transitions and moments, and I already have snippets of it stuck in my head that won't leave. (A good thing!) This will be in heavy rotation with me for awhile.

Although there is one bit I don't quite get in the "Schuyler Sisters" section where there's a PPFFFT!! sound after they say Peggy's name. What's the joke there?
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

Hamilton is wholly a mystery to me, but I like and have bought the song. I never know the source material anyway, having stopped listening to chart music in about 1981 so it's no stretch for me to just enjoy what Al does for its own sake
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
dansachs
Occasional

Post by dansachs »

mrmeadows wrote:Although there is one bit I don't quite get in the "Schuyler Sisters" section where there's a PPFFFT!! sound after they say Peggy's name. What's the joke there?
Historically there were three Schuyler sisters. Angelica and Eliza played a big part in Alexander Hamilton's life and are a big part of the musical. Peggy not so much historically. In the musical this song (and line) are her only appearance. To quote LMM "Poor Peggy - she doesn't stick around the story long enough to merit a musical motif. She married rich and died young, in case you're wondering where she is in Act Two".
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

dansachs wrote: Historically there were three Schuyler sisters. Angelica and Eliza played a big part in Alexander Hamilton's life and are a big part of the musical. Peggy not so much historically. In the musical this song (and line) are her only appearance. To quote LMM "Poor Peggy - she doesn't stick around the story long enough to merit a musical motif. She married rich and died young, in case you're wondering where she is in Act Two".
Thanks for the explanation! Figured it must have been something like that, but appreciate the context now.
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
drewdy9999
Regular

Post by drewdy9999 »

Worth noting that "and Peggy" has practically reached meme status, probably due to its humorous/offbeat placement in The Schuyler Sisters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHdV6ZDTnGA&t=12s
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

This was amazing.
Putting the hits from one musical together in polka form, paying tribute to someone who himself has been a lifelong Weird Al fan, I mean this is just such an all around winner. It reminds me most of Bohemian Polka in terms of what Al has done here.

Thank you, Al.
With your first release post-Squeeze Box, you have hit a home run.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Great polka! Quite good indeed. I'm still hoping they stick to not doing any polkas on the tour though. I pretty sure they'll end up doing it now, nothing more fun for bands then performing fresh music but I'd still rather hear older originals. Really like the new polka, made me laugh pretty hard, Al never loses his magical touch. ;)
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
CrimsonE

Post by CrimsonE »

As someone who has become a huge fan of the play in the last year and saw it in July in Chicago, I am in awe. Part of me would love to see him do this live, but the more realistic part says that it would go over the heads of a good chunk of the audience, those who have only heard of the play but have neither seen it or heard the soundtrack.
drewdy9999
Regular

Post by drewdy9999 »

Actually, Al just confirmed he won't be playing it on the tour. From a RollingStone article:
Are you going to play it live on the tour?

Yankovic: Nooooo. When I was arranging I was like, "I'm not going to play this live. I'm not going to be on Broadway doing eight shows a week, so I'm just going to make this impossibly complex and it'll just be a great recording and I'm never going to play it live."

Miranda: It's the Radiohead album of polka medleys. It's designed to be unplayable!
(Full article: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/feat ... ka-w517343" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

I guess it's just got a bit too much going on. I mean, Washington on Your Side has incredibly fast-paced harmonized lyrics that would be tough to pull off live. This song is the new Hardware Store :lol:
avesjohn
Obsessed

Post by avesjohn »

As I type this, the song is #8 on the iTunes charts! This song could be Al's first polka to chart on the Billboard Hot 100!