(Over)analyze This

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

And it was a great opportunity to use lots of really big words, too. 8)

Yeah, but this time I knew what they all meant. :P
sarah_yzma
Addicted

Post by sarah_yzma »

wow....that is over-analyzing....but it makes sense!

Sarah
Jebediah
Occasional

gypsies

Post by Jebediah »

Jebediah, good point about 27. And cool name too.

Thanks, scottidog! I came up with another theory as well. I was just watching the special Disney Channel movie about Al on the Running With Scissors CD. At one point Al says that he was deposited on his parents' doorstep by a band of polka gypsies. Perhaps the lyric "Nurse, I spy gypsies - run!" refers to Al's birth.
sarah_yzma
Addicted

Post by sarah_yzma »

that's funny.....but maybe prophetic......wow....I wish I could think that deep

Sarah
Captain Wacky
Occasional

Post by Captain Wacky »

I'd like to propose a new interpretation of the line "May a moody baby do a yam."

I have had three babies. In my experience with little ones who are just beginning solid food sometimes get their systems a little bogged down with this new material in their little immature digestive systems. This is enough to make even a grown up a little moody. And nothing makes a little baby feel all better like making a nice big yam in their diaper.

So that's my 27 cents. A little icky for those who have not changed 30 million diapers...sorry...I've become desensitized. :huh:
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I'd like to propose a new interpretation of the line "May a moody baby do a yam."

That's DOOM a yam. I'm sticking by my original suggestion that the line refers to the front-loading aspect of baby-feeding. Imagine glops of pureed yam flying everywhere as Nina bats the spoon away, and Bela running around underneath on cleanup duty. Imagine the look on Al's face.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

And if Nina learns to aim well enough, Bela can help Al clean up his act too...

http://www.weirdal.com/images/petpic4.jpg

A poodle's work is never done.
Dr_Dad
Obsessed

Post by Dr_Dad »

QUOTE Just for chuckles I looked up decapitation.  There was a reference in a medical dictionary.  \"Removal of a head.\"  Well, \"duh\" you say... but is this a common procedure??  Dr. Dad???  :crazy:

Only if you're a clumsy neurosurgeon.

Dr Dad
Captain Wacky
Occasional

Post by Captain Wacky »

OE wrote:QUOTE That's DOOM a yam.

Sorry, I FEEL LIKE SUCH A TOOL!!!!!!

Well anyway back to my theory...I've seen a digested yam...trust me it's DOOMED!
autrefois
Die-hard Fan

Post by autrefois »

This thread is great!! Especially your post, OE--I laughed almost as hard as I did while watching Al "interview" Eminem! It must have taken you a lot of time putting that all together, and it was definitely worth it as far as I'm concerned. :)

I've always secretly thought that with "The Night Santa Went Crazy," Al was either consciously or unconsciously thinking of himself as he wrote it. Since this thread is here, I may as well take to its illogical conclusion this unfounded suspicion.

1) Santa: Mr. Claus is obviously adored by kids. He's seen as a kind, gentle man whose only purpose on this planet is to make children happy.

Weird Al: Even though his songs are for people of all ages, many people wrongly think Al's target audience is children. So what is Weird Al in the eyes of many if not a parody-writing, accordion-playing, twinkie-weiner-eating Santa Claus?! Well he's tired of it!

2) Santa: No one beats Santa at toy making or toy giving. Santa travels around the world spreading gifts and good cheer, yet all he gets in recognition of this is some lousy milk and cookies?! Completely unfair and truly a "raw deal."

Weird Al: No one beats Weird Al at parody writing, and his lyrics and music are clearly the best out there nowadays. Weird Al tours North America spreading his gift of music and good cheer, but never gets the type of recognition he deserves in the music industy, definitely unfair and a "raw deal" considering his talent. And unlike Santa, who at least gets cookies, Al doesn't even get Grammys anymore for his hard work, now that the category specifies "Spoken Word Comedy." A raw deal indeed.

3) Santa: Well-known as being a little on the plump side.

Weird Al: Wears the famous "fat suit" in concert for the song "Fat." Undoubtedly some of the masses view Al as "the 'Fat' guy" (as in "Weird Al--hey, isn't he the 'Fat' guy?!?") due to the popularity of that video.

This explains the line "Guess you won't have the fat guy to kick around anymore," in the Extra-Gory version of TNSWC: an obvious reference to Weird Al himself. He took this line out of the main commercial version because he felt the "fat guy" reference would make the connection between Santa and himself all too obvious.

4) Santa: Referred to as a "Yuletide Rambo." Who played Rambo? Stallone.

Weird Al: Wrote the "Theme from Rocky XIII." Who played Rocky? Stallone. These two references indirectly link Santa to Weird Al.

5) Santa: "Had a rifle in his hands and cheap whiskey on his breath."

Weird Al: In "Trigger Happy," Weird Al clearly states, in a song he wrote in the first person, "We'll all get liquored up and shoot at anything that moves." (The "we" must refer to him and TBITB!)

6) Santa: Wishes everyone a "Merry Christmas."

Weird Al: Recorded several radio promos where he wished people a "Merry Christmas."

7) Santa: The subject of many a Christmas song. The workshop, located in the North Pole, is bombed in the song.

Weird Al: The author of the Christmas song "Christmas at Ground Zero." Bombs are also dropped in this song, and "Ground Zero" may have been a dual reference to the North Pole (where Santa works on toys) and Al's recording studio (where Al works on songs).

Based on this "solid, scientific, documented evidence," Weird Al was obviously so upset at one point about the lack of respect given to his talent that he seriously considered running out of the recording studio armed to the teeth and starting a killing spree.

Fortunately for his fans and humanity in general, he decided that instead of actually doing so, he could vent his frustrations by writing a song in which "Santa" (none other than the Weird One himself) went on a killing spree. Every time Weird Al sings this song, it is a sort of therapy for him.

And unless I'm mistaken, Santa has even been known to appear onstage in concert during "Fat" (as opposed to TNSWC as one would expect). In highly symbolic fashion, the "fat" Weird Al has been known to beat up his "fat" alter ego "Santa," who represents the darker side of Al which he must suppress.

I think I'm on to something here! ;)