Weird Al Yankovic Reviews

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Insert Coin(s) to Continue »

Driew_La_27 @ Jan 3 2005, 09:06 PM wrote: I'm glad you did that, Akrovak! :lol:
:lol: Kind of an odd way to reply to it but, yeah, I got a good laugh out of it too :lol:
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
http://caneandrinse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

hehe, that was great, Akrovak!

:lol:
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
running with Dutch windmills
Off The Deep End

Post by running with Dutch windmills »

I don't know if they would fit in :

Earth , Wind and Fire - Boogie Wonderland

Heatwave - Boogie Nights
Whenever you set out to do something, something else must be done first.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I think the criteria for the "Boogie" songs is that the second word in the title is "Boogie". Kinda bummed me out, too, because "Boogie Shoes" didn't make the cut, either.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Akrovak
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Akrovak »

Yeah, I was kinda sticking to songs where "Boogie" could be used as the noun and not an adjective (as much as possible, anyway). Those are great songs, though ... and I probably could have made them work ... I just went the easy route.

Glad a few of you enjoyed it! :)
PMFL!
Polka-Cola

Post by Polka-Cola »

I guess I'll start sharing my album reviews here. Maybe I'll analyze one album a week for the next 11 weeks. :)

Ricky - I remember loving Toni Basil's "Mickey" when it was a hit (I was kind of young then), but I never followed I Love Lucy, but overall I think this is a good upbeat track to lead off the album. 8/10

Gotta Boogie - I felt the instrumental arrangement was a bit weak but the lyrics are great. 6/10

I Love Rocky Road - I also have fond memories of "I Love Rock N Roll" during its height of popularity, and this parody features some of Al's best accordion work. 9/10

Buckingham Blues - This song never really grabbed me. The lyrics are okay but it goes a bit slow. 3/10

Happy Birthday - This one's got some great laughs, and I like singing this one to other Yankovic fans I know for their birthdays. 6/10

Stop Draggin' My Car Around - This is hands-down my favorite song from Al's debut album. Both the lyrics and instrumental arrangements are excellent. 10/10

My Bologna - For some reason I never caught on with "My Sharona", but this tune does have its laughs. 4/10

The Check's In The Mail - It took me a long time to get a grip on this song, and it never really drew me in. 4/10

Another One Rides The Bus - The lyrics on this are absolute top-notch, and the only letdown is the lack of instruments other than the accordion. 8/10

I'll Be Mellow When I'm Dead - This is a decent, but not great tune, and it moves at a good pace. 5/10

Such A Groovy Guy - There isn't much in this song I get a laugh out of. 3/10

Mr. Frump In The Iron Lung - Superb use of the accordion in this one, and the lyrics are brilliant. 9/10
Polka-Cola aka Michael
Super Sonic 5
Regular

Post by Super Sonic 5 »

Ricky - Great song. 9/10

Gotta Boogie - Never liked the music to this. 4/10

I Love Rocky Road - A good song, nothing spectacular. 7/10

Buckingham Blues - This song just never got me. 3/10

Happy Birthday - Best birthday song ever. 9/10

Stop Dragging My Car Around - This is a song that just worked. 10/10

My Bologna - The accordion here is amazing. 9/10

The Check's in the Mail - "You say you hate my guts, you want to take me to court, and you've got yourself a lawyer with a three piece suit" 8.5/10

Another One Rides the Bus - Not bad. Pretty good, actually. 8/10

I'll be Mellow When I'm Dead - "I'll break your arm if you ask me what's my sign!" 10/10

Such a Groovy Guy - Alright. 6/10

Mr. Frump in the Iron Lung - It's good for a chuckle, but I expected better. 6.5/10
I'll be Mellow When I'm Dead!

Tonight, I'm going to blow your minds! I mean, literally blow your minds! - Al
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

Ricky - I like it, but it ain't one of my favourites. 6/10

Gotta Boogie - Favourite original on the Album, but that's probably 'cause I have the sense of humor of a 6-year-old 10/10

I Love Rocky Road - I like it, but I skip over it. 7/10

Buckingham Blues - Kinda weird, since Lady Di's death, but it's good nonetheless. 5/10

Happy Birthday - Way Moby. 9/10

Stop Dragging My Car Around - Favourite Parody on this ALbum, because of the sandwich line. 10/10

My Bologna - Too fast for my likings 9/10

The Check's in the Mail - My theme song, Trust me. 9/10

Another One Rides the Bus - Slightly empty. 7/10

I'll be Mellow When I'm Dead - Another thing that slightly describes me 9/10

Such a Groovy Guy - I think it's creepy. 7/10

Mr. Frump in the Iron Lung - Meh. 6/10

Overall = 4 Accordions outta 5 :Y
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
Dumb N00b
Obsessed

Post by Dumb N00b »

Ricky - I like this one, but it's such an amateur effort, so 8/10

Gotta Boogie - I love this one. 9/10

I Love Rocky Road - I also love this one, but I listen to it once and can't stop singing it, and it's not the greatest song to hear over and over. 7.5/10

Buckingham Blues - In my opinion, better than most of the stuff currently on Dr. Demento. I said most, so don't get all mad at me. 9/10.

Happy Birthday - Any morbid holiday songs by Al are welcome. 9.5/10.

Stop Dragging My Car Around - I think it's well written, but not terribly riveting. Nice spoof; 7/10

My Bologna - 7/10

The Check's in the Mail - Gotta love it, 10/10

Another One Rides the Bus - The best parody of "Another One Bites the Dust" that will ever be made. That said, 6.5/10

I'll be Mellow When I'm Dead - I know people like this. 9.7/10

Such a Groovy Guy - I like it. Nice satire on disco boys. 10/10

Mr. Frump in the Iron Lung - I love this one. Simple but great concept, plus you gotta love anything even a little politically incorrect. 10/10

Overall, 4 weasels outta 5. What, wrong album? I don't care.
Dave? Hello Dave? Is Dave there? There's a block in your t'ilet.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Okay, I might as well start offering my song-by-song album reviews. I think I only did this for PH back when it came out, so I'll start with WAY:

RICKY: My earliest memory of hearing/seeing Al was the music video for this and for "I Love Rocky Road" on HBO when they used to air music videos as interstitials between programming. Of course, I would have been 8 years old or so at the time, so I didn't go buy the album or become an Al fan until much later. Anyway, I have a soft spot for both of these songs. That being said, I like "Rocky Road" better, if only because I never was much into I Love Lucy. 7/10

GOTTA BOOGIE: A throwaway song, but I've always liked it. How can you not love the joke here? 8/10

I LOVE ROCKY ROAD: One of my all-time faves, for reasons stated above and because it has terrific parody lyrics, and Al's accordion sounds awesome substituting for Joan Jett's electric guitar! "When I'm all alone/I just grab myself a CONE!" 10/10

BUCKINGHAM BLUES: Would have liked this better as the intended "Chuck and Diane" Mellencamp parody. As it is, it's only so-so. Plus, it's one of those rare "topical" songs by Al that hasn't aged all that well. Still, I like the way Al belts out the words, like he really means it! 6/10

HAPPY BIRTHDAY: Fun, manic song that's very typical "Early Al". Love the line about Mom and "a can of Cycle 4". 7/10

STOP DRAGGIN' MY CAR AROUND: Lovely-sounding song, and pretty darn funny to boot. Point taken off for the verse about going to "the local disco", which sounds kinda antiquated nowadays. 9/10

MY BOLOGNA: Funny song, but for some reason I like the slower, drawn-out "Bathroom" version of this one (although the Burp is better here.) 6.5/10

THE CHECK'S IN THE MAIL: I love this one! It's beautiful! Don't ever change! 10/10

ANOTHER ONE RIDES THE BUS: I used to really like this song in Junior High, but it's kind of worn on me lately. Probably the song I would be most likely to skip over. 5/10

SUCH A GROOVY GUY: This is the polar opposite of AORTB. . .used to hate this song, but it's since grown on me! Nice companion piece to TCITM. . .it could almost be the same sleazy character After-Dark. 9/10

MR. FRUMP IN THE IRON LUNG: Love the glimpse into the dark side of Al in this song, and his accordion playing is spot-on. Quick, easy and hilarious. To me, this is Quintessential Early Weird Al. 10/10

OVERALL: This is truly one of my favorite Al-bums. As his career went on, his lyrics became a little more clever and the music more sophisticated, but it's kind of nice to hear the overly-sophomoric lyrics and heavy accordion playing on this one. In many ways, it seems like Al is having the most fun on this album than on any of his others. A solid effort that I find myself going back to quite often. 9/10

Meadows
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.