The Ultimate Parody Guide

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

See, this is the furthest thing from a "finalized opinion" as you stated you wanted it to be in the beginning of the project...
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
darbus
Occasional
Location: Somewhere in Northern Utah, in a suburb of Clearfield.

Post by darbus »

Just because I'm slightly anal, and it's really just thrown in there briefly, you can add "Girl You Know It's True" to the list of Milli Vanilli songs parodied for The Plumbing Song.

Sorry, algonacchick. I just listened to TPS. Yes, Al mentions the title of "Girl You Know It's True", but that part of the parody is all "Baby Don't Forget My Number". In my opinion, "Girl You Know It's True" wasn't parodied at all.

On an unrelated note, does anyone else consider "Traffic Jam" to be a straight parody of "Let's Go Crazy", instead of just a style parody? I know it's not officially considered as such, but everything's the same - the verses, the choruses, the instrumental breaks; the only thing Al didn't spoof was the intro.

No, TJ doesn't sound like a full-on parody of "Let's Go Crazy". It does sound a lot like it, though. My vote on this one is style parody.

Also, isn't there supposedly a Beck song that sounds like "Wanna B Ur Lovr"?

I'm not sure, but I think more than one Beck song was used in the style parody of this song. The end of WBUL sounds like the end of "Peaches & Cream" where Beck repeats over and over, "Keep your lamp light trimmed and burning". As for the rest of the song, I'm not sure.
<< Insert "amusing anecdote" here. >>
Grom
Off The Deep End

Post by Grom »

TMBJon @ Jul 10 2006, 07:33 PM wrote: See, this is the furthest thing from a "finalized opinion" as you stated you wanted it to be in the beginning of the project...
I'd have to agree there...

And Darbus, Lovr is pretty much style parodying Beck's whole Midnite Vultures album (which, I'm pretty sure, has Peaches & Cream on it).
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
Al's #27 fan
Obsessed

Post by Al's #27 fan »

TheLazenby @ Jul 9 2006, 11:27 PM wrote: Also, isn't there supposedly a Beck song that sounds like "Wanna B Ur Lovr"?
I'm not entirely sure where, but Al said that he was trying to sound like Beck trying to sound like Prince.
Begone, foul beast!
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Al's #27 fan @ Jul 10 2006, 07:54 AM wrote: I'm not entirely sure where, but Al said that he was trying to sound like Beck trying to sound like Prince.
Al said that in the Ask Als for August 7, 2003
And Peggy
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

darbus @ Jul 10 2006, 10:08 AM wrote:
Sorry, algonacchick. I just listened to TPS. Yes, Al mentions the title of "Girl You Know It's True", but that part of the parody is all "Baby Don't Forget My Number". In my opinion, "Girl You Know It's True" wasn't parodied at all.

Yeah, I know, but the song is referenced. Maybe you could put it that way.

Carry on.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

I'd hate to be anal, but "Willie and the Hand Jive" is NOT by Bo Diddley. It is by Johnny Otis. However, both of those songs use what is known as "The Bo Diddley Beat", which originated in Bo Diddley's song "Bo Diddley" and was used in quite a few of his own songs such as "Mona," "Hush Your Mouth," "Gunslinger," "Pretty Thing," and "Nursery Rhyme" as well as various other songs such as Johnny Otis' "Willie & the Hand Jive" and "Crazy Country Hop," Buddy Holly and the Crickets' "Not Fade Away" and "Love's Made a Fool of You," Freddy Cannon's "Buzz Buzz a Diddle It," Duane Eddy's "Cannonball," the Bosstones' "Mope-Itty-Mope," Dee Clark's "Hey Little Girl," the Strangeloves' and Bow Wow Wow's "I Want Candy," Dale Hawkins' "Little Liza Jane," and Tommy Facenda's "High School U.S.A."

And now you know the rest of the story.
Mad Genius
Obsessed

Post by Mad Genius »

You might want to add "Trigger Happy", which has a very destinct Beach Boys-esque sound.
"...Enthusiasm mediocre; keep in mind the animals are DEAD!"
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Yeah, Al said Trigger Happy was a style parody of The Beach Boys, with a little Jan and Dean thrown in. hehe!

Also, it's kind of unfair to just list one song for a style parody. For example "Velvet Elvis" not only sounds like "Synchronicity II", but there are elements of "Don't Stand So Close to Me" in there as well. (The droning bassline, for example). Also, I can hear some "Walking on the Moon" in there as well. I usually just chalk any of Al's style parodies as a style parody of a group, without referencing a specific songs. But, I admire your attention to details.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
TheLazenby
Addicted

Post by TheLazenby »

I don't know why "Trigger Happy" isn't on that version of the list... the one I have saved on my computer has it.

EDIT - I checked out "Don't Stand So Close To Me"... that IS close to Velvet Elvis. I should cut the two Police songs together to resemble Al's song...
Steve's mixes, lookie!
Lousy Haircut - complete!! http://www.mediafire.com/?xyimjmdjkml
Black Gold vs Santa! http://www.mediafire.com/?zztmgltz2ym