Peter And The Wolf

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

minnick27
Off The Deep End

Re: Peter And The Wolf

Post by minnick27 »

Its all about the rights. Apparently nobody wants to admit to having them
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

If you are a Weird Al fan, you should really figure out a way to listen to this - whether by legal or illegal means. It's funny but as Jace said it's not something you'll want to listen to more than a few times. But I would not say it's worth spending more than the normal price of a CD unless you're a hardcore collector.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Im a hardcore collector, and even I refuse to buy it. I listened to it one time online, and that was more than enough
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Yeah, I have it on cassette and I've only listened to it once. I've been meaning to give it another listen, but...ehh...still, I hope to get the CD at some point...
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

minnick27 wrote:Im a hardcore collector, and even I refuse to buy it. I listened to it one time online, and that was more than enough
Not really a glowing endorsement.

Guess I'm not gonna even bother.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I'm listening to it right now, about halfway through The Carnival of the Animals and I have to say...yeah, it's not something I really expect to listen to repeatedly, if ever again. Make no mistake--this is a Wendy Carlos album. Al is heavily featured but it's a Wendy Carlos album. Which is fine if you like this heavily synthesized sort of stuff but it's not really my cup of tea. It feels like a great soundtrack for a video game but I'm not sure what CBS was thinking when they proposed an album like this.

I'm definitely glad to have it in my collection though. If you're a completist and you can track down a copy for a decent price, go for it. Just make sure you realize you're more purchasing a collectible than a solid musical work.

On the plus side, Al does some neat voices in "Peter in the Wolf" that AFAIK can't be heard anywhere else. So there's at least the novelty of that for hardcore fans.
Morbid Undead
Occasional

Post by Morbid Undead »

So... I did some Googling. And I found this website:

http://www.legalsounds.com/download-mp3 ... lbum_83140

You can buy the whole album for, get this - $1.84. So here's the catch - you have to sign up and "add funds" to your account before you can buy anything. The minimum amount you can add is US$25. That's as far as I got, I didn't end up getting it. But it's there if anyone else is interested.
~Morbid Undead~

Weird Al fanatic since 22nd June 2011
Creator of http://crashcourseinweirdal.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Life is like a bowl of three-legged salamanders, swimming around in an infinite ocean of cherry Kool-Aid."
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Peter And The Wolf

Post by minnick27 »

I'd rather not own it.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I wonder how legal that is. I always believed the reason PATW had never been re-released was because the question of who actually owned the rights was all tangled up.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Peter And The Wolf

Post by minnick27 »

Well it says that it's legal sounds. I didn't click the link, but I'm guessing if they go to the trouble of putting legal in the name, it's probably not
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ