#12 - The FAN-tasy AL-bum

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

#12 - The FAN-tasy AL-bum

Post by scottidog »

Warning: If you are Weird Al stop reading here.

We will be discussing song and parody ideas. You have been warned!

Is he gone? :lookround:

Ok. Here's the scenario: AL-bum #11 "Party At The Leper Colony" has just gone quadruple-platinum in the first week of it's release. The world has finally understood the wonder and majesty that is "Weird Al" Yankovic. Huge crowds are gathering at the corporate offices of Volcano Entertainment begging -nay- demanding another WAY AL-bum and soon!

Your phone rings. It's Al.

He says, "(Insert your name here), I need your help. I have to make another AL-bum before riots break out in the streets and civilization as we know it grinds to a halt. I am fresh out of ideas... Can you help me out here?"

There are no rules. (Ok. There is ONE rule... Keep it clean! This is a kid friendly forum, after all!) Every artist in the world wants the WAY treatment. Even what's-his-symbol-thingy realizes that his career is a sham because he doesn't have a WAY parody. Money is no object. (Perhaps it's not even a music CD. Any WAY project is ok.)

What do you suggest to Al?
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

The Beatles Greatest Hits.

It's wonderful music.

If Al's younger fans aren't familiar with it, they DARN WELL SHOULD BE.

The band won't get sick of playing the stuff for the next twenty years or so, and they can add to their general title of World's Greatest Cover Band the more specific one of World's Greatest Beatles Tribute Band (it's a crowded field, but they'll be outstanding in it).

And, last but not least,

Michael Jackson needs the money.

As for the lyrics, I'll leave those to Al. I like surprises.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Ok, Al. Here are a few ideas, you know, off the top of my head...

How about an AL-bum in the vein of The Saga Begins. Weird Al Yankovic takes on Hollywood. Take some classic rock songs, and some classic (and maybe classically bad) movies and run with it.

Maybe do songs for all the Star Wars movies. Re-do Yoda to include the Chant. (Along with a instructional choreography breaking it down for us so we can all join in. This of course is a video.) The long term contract we'll have you sign, means you'll be making these videos til the end of time...

OR, since Peter And The Wolf isn't available anymore, do a sequel. Weird Al's Encyclopaedia Song.

And of course, since we can do anything we like... let's get those concert only songs into an AL-bum. With accompanying videos, of course. And music videos even for the originals.

Another movie, of course. I will let Al come up with the concept if I can choose the wardrobe. ;)

Perhaps a stage version of Albuquerque? If the microsurgeons you hired for Emo are available, we wouldn't even need to get a new Marty for each show. <Scottidog checks with Miss Clairol to see if she has the color "Strained Peaches" available. >

Hmmm... This is harder than it sounds to come up with good ideas. And none of them are truly original. They are all based on something Al has done before. I wonder where he gets all his great idea. I know, I know. He's got imagination!

Anyone else?
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Hey, OE. Is this a cover or a parody? Al needs specifics!
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Hey, OE. Is this a cover or a parody? Al needs specifics!

Oh, parody, definitely. There's nothing surprising about the Lennon/McCartney lyrics by this time.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Oh, parody, definitely. There's nothing surprising about the Lennon/McCartney lyrics by this time.

Well, maybe to some of us there would be. I have never voluntarily listened to Al's favorite boy band. Of course I have heard them. You can't avoid it. But I am sure there are some songs I haven't heard. However if Al did them, I would be happy to buy them!
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Well, maybe to some of us there would be. I have never voluntarily listened to Al's favorite boy band.

Golly, but you've been depriving yourself! At least get that compilation of all their #1 hits that came out not too long ago.

I didn't mean to suggest, BTW, that I'm intimately familiar with the whole Beatles oeuvre myself. I'm not. I was just thinking that the Listening Public At Large has had it all available for a long time now.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

<Scottidog is hesitant to admit that she just doesn't really like the Beatles.>

Actually that's not exactly true. It's the whole 60s music thing. I don't know why. Except for Simon and Garfunkle.

And for the record: Art has "Weird Al" Yankol-icious hair. Ok. So I have listened to the commentary on UHF one too many times...
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

I can't comment since I really know nothing about pop culture at all.

It's rare if I know which song Al is parodying off of any ALbum just by looking at the title.

-CindyBob

:stupid:
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Well, if we're talking about an album to come out just to ride the success of Album #11, I would probably prefer that it be a "special project" as opposed to another standard studio album.

Al has yet to do a Christmas album....