Sampling

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

I can't help but notice on some of Weird Al's songs, the background music and/or vocals sound similar to the original song, case in point; "Taco Grande":

The opening instrumentation, backing vocals, and drum track sound identical to "Rico Suave." Did Al sample the original?

Two more examples; "The Alternative Polka" (More specifically the opeing "Loser" section) and the "Polka You Eyes Out" (More Specifically the "Cradle of Love" section). Are these the results of sampling?

I've always wondered this, and it would be great if someone can clear it up for me.

Thanks!
JDTurnbull272
Addicted

Post by JDTurnbull272 »

If you look in the song credits in the linear notes (to the albums that have them at least), you will notice that Al and his band record all of the songs on his albums. I'm not sure if he ever "sampled" even once, possibly on older demos or something, but as far as I know, one of the reasons Al loves his band so much is because they are so versatile and able to replicate nearly any song. :)
The name is John, but you can call me JD! ^~^
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

It's a credit to his amazing band. :) I have to admit though, when I have my mp3 player on shuffle and hear those opening strums, there's no way of telling whether I'm listening to "Loser" or "The Alternative Polka."
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

If he is sampling Loser and Cradle of Love, those are two very sped up samples.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

We all know Al doesn't sample... everything is recreated from scratch even down to the water-drops in Trapped in the Drive Thru (Bermuda's doing it with his mouth, he talked about it in an interview).
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

But, for instance, in "Taco Grande," how did they re-create the backing vocals. That songs sounds like he took the karaoke track from Gerardo(?)! Not knocking him, just saying...
TheLazenby
Addicted

Post by TheLazenby »

Oh come on, the sped-up "Closer" intro (in The Alternative Polka) has to be a sample...
Steve's mixes, lookie!
Lousy Haircut - complete!! http://www.mediafire.com/?xyimjmdjkml
Black Gold vs Santa! http://www.mediafire.com/?zztmgltz2ym
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Al and his band have very good ears and are very meticulous. No samples, no lip-synching. They're just very very picky about recreating the originals.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

Yeah, so very picky that they figured the best way to recreate the sounds was to use samples! :P Actually I wouldn't have a problem if they did use samples...maybe we could get albums more often than every third year.
taste is only something if it is yours.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Here is a quote from Bermuda on the DrummerWorld forums:

With the parodies, there's no input whatsoever, since we're copying existing parts & sounds. If Al says we're doing "Pretty Fly For A White Guy" (Offspring,) we use that recording as a road map, possiblly incorporating arrangement or key changes. We do a huge amount of pre-production on our own in terms of writing-out parts, assessing sounds, and in the case of sequenced songs, creating samples and sequences. No rehearsal is necessary, since there are no subjective parts to work on - we are copying another song note-for-note - and we show up at the studio playing the songs for the first time as a band, typically tracking them all the same day.

With respect to the parodies, copying parts and sounds is difficult work. We aren't permitted to just 'get the flavor' or play a few signature parts. Our version has to be as close as possible to 100% accurate, with the knowledge that 99% is probably not acceptable. It's often a trying process where we have to 'backwards engineer' recordings to decipher parts and how sounds were achieved. I'm pretty sure that there are no other guitarists, bassists, or drummers who have the sense of purpose (or the patience!) to chart every note, every dynamic, every mistake, and every tempo change for their recordings.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ