Al Reloaded

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

alberta1
Obsessed

Post by alberta1 »

Ive been sent a few tunes on the net which are supposedly als but you can always tell the difference in his voice thats its not.

I dont know if the following are als songs

'barbie girl' (ive been told its not)
The cats in the cradle parody that al (supposedly) did
I like big butts..

Did al do these?

i couldnt tell 100% that it was his.

:blink:

Forgive me, im still learning :P
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

no
no and no
This means something. This is important.
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

Oh dear... Well, even you can't distinguish Al and Non-Al songs by the voice, couldn't you just see on the song titles? I think that'll explain a lot.

SEVA.
-Sheesh!
"Synonym" is an anthonym for "homonym".
Mad Genius
Obsessed

Post by Mad Genius »

alberta1 @ Jan 16 2004, 03:13 AM wrote: Ive been sent a few tunes on the net which are supposedly als but you can always tell the difference in his voice thats its not.

I dont know if the following are als songs

'barbie girl' (ive been told its not)
The cats in the cradle parody that al (supposedly) did
I like big butts..

Did al do these?

i couldnt tell 100% that it was his.

:blink:

Forgive me, im still learning :P
AAAAHHHHHHGGGGG NOOOOO!!!!! Don't ever get Bob Rivers mixed up with Al! Al is a far much better parodist than that radio DJ Bob Rivers. That's right, Radio DJ, not Parodist, there's a BIG difference. ...But since it was an innocent question I'll let it slide.

As for Covers of Al's songs, I've heard Your Mother's version of I'll Be Mellow When I'm Dead and Dare To Be Stupid. I really didn't like them all too much. You can't immitate genius, you're born with it.
"...Enthusiasm mediocre; keep in mind the animals are DEAD!"
yo
Die-hard Fan

Post by yo »

AAAAHHHHHHGGGGG NOOOOO!!!!! Don't ever get Bob Rivers mixed up with Al! Al is a far much better parodist than that radio DJ Bob Rivers. That's right, Radio DJ, not Parodist, there's a BIG difference. ...But since it was an innocent question I'll let it slide.

As for Covers of Al's songs, I've heard Your Mother's version of I'll Be Mellow When I'm Dead and Dare To Be Stupid. I really didn't like them all too much. You can't immitate genius, you're born with it.

I think there are some people who don't give non-Al songs a chance. I happen to think The AOL Song and Livin' La Vida Yoda are pretty good. Yes, there are quite a few horrible fakes out there, but some of them are awesome.
?
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

I just happen to hate everything and anything by Bob Rivers. He's so...unclean. Half his songs have absolutely no taste whatsoever.
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
weirdallie27
Off The Deep End

Post by weirdallie27 »

Mad Genius @ Jan 17 2004, 09:55 PM wrote: As for Covers of Al's songs, I've heard Your Mother's version of I'll Be Mellow When I'm Dead and Dare To Be Stupid. I really didn't like them all too much. You can't immitate genius, you're born with it.
Well, Your Mother didn't claim that their versions were any good. They just wanted to pay homage to Al.

~Allison
Alfie
09/13/96 - 07/11/08
Rest well, my sweet prince
Mad Genius
Obsessed

Post by Mad Genius »

I agree with both Yo and Weirdojace. I agree with Yo, that there are some other musical satirists who are worth listening to, like Heywood Banks (He did Toast on the Bob and Tom Show). But then again, I agree with Weirdojace because Bob Rivers has no taste whatsoever. Any song by Bob Rivers is almost automatically mislabled as an Al song i.e. Weird Al Yankovic - Dirty Deeds (Done With Sheep).mp3 (For all you "KaZaA'ers" out there), which everyone knows isn't an Al song in the first place.

I honestly can't see someone cover one of Al's songs because you can't beat the original. That's like me covering One More Minute and comparing myself with Al. Yes, my friends and family say I'm funny, weird and talented, but in all my modesty and honesty, I think Al is far more talented than I will ever be.

I can never compare my talents with Al's, there's just no way.
"...Enthusiasm mediocre; keep in mind the animals are DEAD!"
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

This question was brought to my mind by the discussion of the Taco Grande remix/cover version on the Ratatouille not-a-soundtrack album.

It's a pretty common thing for songs (at least good ones) to be covered by someone other than the original artist. How do you feel about that happening to Al's songs? Do you think that some of them are going to find a place on the weirder edges of the Great American Songbook, or will they always be heard only in Al's voice, with Al's band? Is it a good thing for them to be more widely performed, or not?

Discuss.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

They're good songs.
I cant see any reason why other people shouldn't make covers (as long as Al get's his writer's fee)
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015