"true" Parodies

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Keir
Obsessed

Post by Keir »

This topic came up a few times in the "Whatever You Like" thread, and I thought it would make an interesting topic all on its own. In general, the subjects of Al's parodies are completely unrelated to the original songs (e.g. "Eat It", "Yoda", etc.) However, sometimes he will satirize the original lyrics or artist such as in these songs:

(This Song's Just) Six Words Long
Achy Breaky Song
Confessions Part III
It's Still Billy Joel to Me
Smells Like Nirvana
Theme from Rocky XIII
Whatever You Like

Now, when I say that these are "true" parodies, I'm not trying to belittle Al's (or anyone else's) other work, but I can't think of a better term for them. Can you think of any others? Do you think that this type of parody is better or do you prefer more random lyrical themes?
Wishing you a Twisted Christmas and a Twisted New Year!
Theguyoverthere
Occasional

Post by Theguyoverthere »

White & Nerdy is pretty much the opposite of Ridin' Dirty ... :P
DonnaNoble
Off The Deep End

Post by DonnaNoble »

I find Headline News is a "true parody"

In the original, its about people who where publicly exposed against their will, and in Al's, it about people who use things that happen to them to get famous... (or more famous)...
Oh snap!
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I'd add "Trapped in the Drive-Thru" to that list since the whole point of the song was to mock the absurdity of the original.
Keir
Obsessed

Post by Keir »

Those are all good points. I think if we add those, then we have to add "Amish Paradise" too since the Amish lifestyle is pretty much the antithesis of gangsta.
Wishing you a Twisted Christmas and a Twisted New Year!
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

It's not an actual parody, but I feel that YD&U would fit in with this, mainly because it's exaggerating their badassiness, despite being total sissies.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

You're right, MT, but nearly every style parody would fit under "true" parody designation if we were to count that one. I think this list should stick to actual parodies.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Although, not quite the same thing as this, both "The Plumbing Song" and "Isle Thing" are similar in that they both make direct reference to another song by the same artist they are parodying - "Girl You Know It's True" and "Funky Cold Medina" respectively.
The Doctor
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by The Doctor »

I've always found those funny! :lol:
Silence will fall.
amzo39
Off The Deep End
Awards: Everything

Post by amzo39 »

This is interesting, because I've been thinking about this for a while and now someone came and made a topic for it... how coincidental.
Was in the shower when it got leaked. almost spinned my ankle & dead with my head crack opened #StealMyGirlLeaked #StealMyGirlIsPerfect