Songs Where You Prefer The Originals

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I don't think we've ever had a topic like this, and search doesn't really help, so here goes. 90% of the time I prefer Al's parodies, since I don't usually like very much in the way of current mainstream music, and who doesn't love music to have some humor in it? That said, there are a few songs where I prefer the original for one reason or another. I'm not taking style parodies into account here, but what are some of the songs Al has parodied that you would take over Al's version?

"Another One Rides the Bus" - I love AORTB, partially because it's so musically different than the original. That said, I do miss the groove sometimes. I have a feeling the early songs will come up frequently in this topic.
"She Drives Me Crazy" - I know Al said he was going for a cartoony voice since Roland Gift's is so hard to duplicate...but I really don't like the vocal here. It's too over-the-top on the choruses and hard to understand during the verses. Plus, I don't really feel that the joke progresses any; it's pretty one-note...although I love the hitchhikers line.
"Bohemian Polka" - Yeah, it's not a parody, but still.
"Misery" - I don't think anyone will really argue this one.

I won't get into unreleased songs here, but "Pacman" definitely would make the list.

Then there are some where I enjoy both versions about equally: "Beat It," "Smells Like Teen Spirit," "Rico Suave" (shut up!), "eBay" (shut up again!)

All in all, Al has a pretty awesome track record. :Y
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Bohemian Polka - Not a parody, but Anth put it on his list, so I am too. I love the song, but the original is just so epic, it's impossible to cover it and make it better. (Even if that cover is a polka)

Syndicated Inc. - I love the music here. IMO, it's the only good part of the song (and not just the accordion solo, the entire thing). Other than that, the song is horrible, though.

I Want A New Duck - As much as I enjoy the song, I love I Want A New Drug. It's catchy and works really well. And as funny as the quacking can be, that musical segment of the song is a million times better without it.

The Saga Begins - This one was tough for me to put down. Although this is one of my favorite Al songs of all time, similar to BP, the original is just so damn epic and awesome that it's impossible to outdo.

And IMO, SDLC isn't so bad. The voice Al does reminds me of the Kermit/Miss Piggy cover that I listened to as a kid.
And Peggy
Monkeytender
Occasional

Post by Monkeytender »

The Brady Bunch, Phony Calls, and The Plumbing Song, all simply because I don't think Al's voice sounds that great in them.
Warsaw was raw.
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by JEDM »

She Drives Like Crazy
Syndicated Inc.
Phony Calls
The Brady Bunch
Bohemian Polka
Trash Day

..and probably a few more.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Piano Man is FAR better than Ode To A Superhero. Can not believe that hasn't been mentioned yet.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

girls just want to have lunch
addicted to spuds
ricky
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

TMBJon @ September 10, 2009 10:38 pm wrote: Piano Man is FAR better than Ode To A Superhero. Can not believe that hasn't been mentioned yet.
YES, thank you. I can't believe I forgot to add that to my list.
And Peggy
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Taxman > Pacman.
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

PAcman is far superior musically to Taxman, IMO. Piano Man is better than OTAS, definitely. And not being a big Queen fan I still feel that AOBTD is better than AORTB.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
amzo39
Off The Deep End
Awards: Everything

Post by amzo39 »

Another One Rides The Bus
Bohemian Polka
...there are others...
Was in the shower when it got leaked. almost spinned my ankle & dead with my head crack opened #StealMyGirlLeaked #StealMyGirlIsPerfect