Future Digital Releases?

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Re: Future Digital Releases?

Post by ludovica64 »

Whatinthe27 wrote: And Alpocalpyse is a great Album, but so was In 3-D, Even Worse, Off the Deep End. But it wasn't the amount of time we had to wait to hear them that made them good.

I just simply can't agree with you that In 3-D, Even Worse, Off the Deep End etc are anything like the standard of Alpocalypse, PH, RWS or even SOL. He may have had some better songs to parody back then, and there are some GREAT songs on those, but the albums themselves are not as consistently good/nice to listen to, in my opinion, as any of his 21stC releases. (yes I know RWS wasnt 21stC)
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
Whatinthe27
Occasional

Post by Whatinthe27 »

Why would anybody say they would be happy with less or having to wait longer in between albums? Because that's what you'd basically be saying.
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?

Seriously, you're creating arguments for me--which I haven't made--and then telling me why I'm wrong for making them. When you two make up your mind what point you're trying to make, please let me know.
In short, Relax. I'm ranting of course, but it's nothing personal. My points were being made in response to someone else's point and you commented on it. I'm still writing in response with the original post in mind. If anything I wish you skipped the majority of my last post and skipped to the end. All I'm saying is it's worth the wait, but please don't encourage him to take his time, because for me It's hell to wait that long. Instead of thinking of me as pointing a finger at you saying your wrong, picture me pulling my hair out while I'm on my knees.
I really don't know what's going on around this forum lately, where we can't even talk about old material critically without someone copping an attitude of, "Well I love it and it's gold and you're wrong for looking at it objectively!" You see it over in the tour setlist thread and it happens pretty much anytime someone invokes "Polka Party!"
Then I failed to make my point. My point is I know Polka Party isn't as great as Poodle Hat. Compared to Alpocalypse it's crap. But I'd rather have albums like Polka Party between SOl and Alpocalypse than nothing. Actually I don't expect an album every 18 months, and I'm not trying to cop an attitude, I'm ranting because I'm spoiled and hate waiting 5 years for an album to come out. I think if we were talking in person you'd hear that, but it's hard to get across in type.
Gang, it's a substandard album, and it was made under lousy conditions for Al. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. No oddly worded jumbled rant is going to change that. And I'm sorry if anyone thinks that that truth is somehow an insult to their ego for considering it their favorite album. One of my favorite horror movies is "Friday the 13th," and I'd be the first one to admit that it's a piece of crap.

I honestly don't even remember what the point was that I was discussing at this point. An album a year is now impossible for him to do both logistically and creatively, and every time he does do it, we eventually end up with weaker material ("Polka Party!", "Alapalooza").
And all I'm trying to say is that there's some pretty damn good material on those albums that we would have to do without if he felt like he does now back then. He'd be like "I don't want to take a chance on writing a lousy song so I'm not going to write an album for 3 to 4 years." and then we would be without DTBS, Polka Party maybe Even Worse. And I'd still like to have in between albums like that now. You say his albums are excellent now, and they are, but I still wonder what we're missing because he's afraid to write another parody like Girl Just Wanna Have Lunch. I'm saying I don't mind hearing songs like that as long as the album has songs like Like a Surgeon and Dare To Be Stupid. I don't want to wait longer because he's trying to be perfect. I wonder if we would have had a Justin Timberlake parody. Or Maroon 5. Maybe he would have been forced to write more originals and we missed out on a timely gem?

Conversely we had to wait a while for Straight Out of Lynwood and it still had Do I Creep You Out on it. But despite all the people who hates songs like that, or Syndicated Inc. there's actually some who love it. And that goes to my point. I say the more songs the better, the more albums the better. (not to the point where they come out every year, but 2 or so.) On any album Al puts out someone is going to hate one or two songs. Only a select few are going to love every song. So why wait too long hoping to be perfect. One, the album is not going to be perfect, and two, some fans will still love the stinkers, and most importantly, some songs would have never been written if he wasn't under pressure to write more.
Whatinthe27
Occasional

Post by Whatinthe27 »

ludovica64 wrote:
Whatinthe27 wrote: And Alpocalpyse is a great Album, but so was In 3-D, Even Worse, Off the Deep End. But it wasn't the amount of time we had to wait to hear them that made them good.

I just simply can't agree with you that In 3-D, Even Worse, Off the Deep End etc are anything like the standard of Alpocalypse, PH, RWS or even SOL. He may have had some better songs to parody back then, and there are some GREAT songs on those, but the albums themselves are not as consistently good/nice to listen to, in my opinion, as any of his 21stC releases. (yes I know RWS wasnt 21stC)
Yeah, but do you think he could have done better if he waited longer? or is it because he simply gets better with every new album? Also I'm saying they are great, not better than Alpocalpse.
crazygurl14
Obsessed

Post by crazygurl14 »

I dont mind a little bit of a wait but he does have many other things he does now and he has a family to see at some point. 5 years is a long time so i hope he doesnt take that long(or longer) again but if he just rushed something out it would probably be horrible and then someone on here would probably start a topic about how he has run out of ideas and his career is over or something stupid like that. He should be able to go at his own pace, I think that this was a very good album all together. I didnt like how most of it was already released but thats also why i only listened to the IL when they were first released and tried to completely avoid them after that. If he does decide to do an IL type thing then there either shouldnt be as many songs released or have them closer to when the album will be released or just write a whole new song in that songs place on the album.
Concerts i have attended:
memorial day 2000
july 27, 2003
august 22,2004
june 27, 2007
May 29, 2011
July 8, 2016
March 26,2018
July 3, 2019
ACTUALLY GOT AUTOGRAPH & HUG
6-27-13
After show autograph 7-3-19
Al-gal since '99
ferdinand
Occasional

Future Digital Releases?

Post by ferdinand »

I would love to see another digital EP for the next album, but I think I might only want two or three songs before the album.
No one in the world ever gets what they want and the truth is we don't know anything.