Future Digital Releases?

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

CharlesNelson
Regular
Awards: All of them

Future Digital Releases?

Post by CharlesNelson »

Do you think that Al will do something like Internet Leaks again for Album 14? Furthermore, do you want him to?

Between the five Internet Leaks and Perform This Way, half of Alpocalypse is technically old news before it's even really been released. For those of us who saw Al in concert in 2010 or early 2011? Polka Face makes seven - more than half. Only five "new" new songs.

So while I'm totally in favor of Al's taking advantage of the digital release thing this time around, I think I'd like Album 14 to come as one hunk of 12 (or 13?) new songs. I think it'd make us anticipate it even more than we did Alpocalypse.

What say YOU?
Welcome to the World of Matt Walsh, the biggest forum about Matt Walsh! Enjoy your stay with us!
crazygurl14
Obsessed

Re: Future Digital Releases?

Post by crazygurl14 »

I hope he does not release thing the way he did with internet leaks next time. It was a good experiment for him to do i guess but we will see how much it help or hurts him once the album is released. And if he does decide to do this again then whenever the new full ablum comes out he should have all new songs.
Concerts i have attended:
memorial day 2000
july 27, 2003
august 22,2004
june 27, 2007
May 29, 2011
July 8, 2016
March 26,2018
July 3, 2019
ACTUALLY GOT AUTOGRAPH & HUG
6-27-13
After show autograph 7-3-19
Al-gal since '99
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

I agree. At the beginning it was fun collecting the songs as they were released, but I got bored quickly. I'd prefer just a lump-release.
sethmartin
Regular

Post by sethmartin »

Just think of all the people who bought tracks from internet leaks and then bought/ are going to buy those same tracks again on Alpocalypse. Getting people to buy the same songs twice, sounds like a good idea to me!
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

I thought it was a fine experiment. Whatever You Like was able to be out right whenever the song it was parodying was still in the Top 20. He was also able to draw more attention to his original songs. Especially with this being the longest time span in between albums of five years, he needed to get something new out there. Other musicians use songs from EPs on their following album. Why can't Al? As for there being more than 12 songs on an album. That won't happen. 12's a number Al is happy with for a number of reasons, most being royalty/label related.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Future Digital Releases?

Post by minnick27 »

I want to know if he put out the rest of the leaks as a result of WYL success, or if it was always the plan
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
crazygurl14
Obsessed

Post by crazygurl14 »

sethmartin wrote:Just think of all the people who bought tracks from internet leaks and then bought/ are going to buy those same tracks again on Alpocalypse. Getting people to buy the same songs twice, sounds like a good idea to me!

He said in one of his blogs that the people who bought the internet leaks songs could use the complete the album function to get the rest of the songs from Alpocalypse so I'm not sure but that would seem like it would hurt sales in the long run becasue they are only buying a few songs from the album and not the whole thing
Concerts i have attended:
memorial day 2000
july 27, 2003
august 22,2004
june 27, 2007
May 29, 2011
July 8, 2016
March 26,2018
July 3, 2019
ACTUALLY GOT AUTOGRAPH & HUG
6-27-13
After show autograph 7-3-19
Al-gal since '99
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

I hope he won't wait five years to release an album again. Then another digital EP won't be necessary.
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
giantlobsterrobot
Regular

Post by giantlobsterrobot »

I have a feeling that he's already got a few of the originals for album 14 written. I'm expecting a 2-3 year gap between this and the next album.
This was just an experiment for him and I don't expect it to happen again. I don't think I'm the only one who thought that this was a good experiment to do. Who knows what the results would've been.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I loved the Internet Leaks experiment, and I hope he decides to repeat it again for his next album. However, if it is indeed only 2 or 3 years until the next album then it may not be necessary.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.