Can Strong Music Compensate for Weak Lyrics?

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

minnick27
Off The Deep End

Can Strong Music Compensate for Weak Lyrics?

Post by minnick27 »

Still not a good reason
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
giantlobsterrobot
Regular

Re: Can Strong Music Compensate for Weak Lyrics?

Post by giantlobsterrobot »

Horrible lyrics can ruin an otherwise good song. Good lyrics can make up for a lack of performance or make a style that I don't care for more tolerable. It's very difficult though for a song about a topic that I don't want to hear to appeal to me if the style is something I'd normally like. However, there are lots of songs that have mediocre lyrics, but awesome music.

In the case of Al's songs, all his parodies are better than the target song. I would much rather hear a song about losing on Jeopardy than one about being in a bad relationship (unless it's a comedy song about a bad relationship... those are usually funny.) As soon as I heard the intro to "My Baby's In Love With Eddie Vedder" he could've said ANYTHING at that point and I would've loved it because I love zydeco and I know Al's not going to sing about absolutely terrible topics that I don't want to hear. Those are reserved for Ke$ha and Eminem (who wrote my least favorite song of all time, by the way :P)

It's too bad though that there are some songs that are musically not my cup of tea, with mediocre lyrics. Those happen to be my least favorite Al songs. Gotta Boogie and Craigslist are those songs.

Ringtone has decent lyrics with cool music, so I like it. Syndicated has great music and decent lyrics (not very funny, but still good) so I enjoy it. Good Enough For Now has pretty good lyrics, but mediocre music. It's an average Al song because of that.

Performance plays a huge role too. I read the lyrics to SOL before the album came out, and I thought, "Oh wow... these aren't that funny... ..." Hearing how they were performed increased the quality of the songs. Trapped in the Drive-Thru is funny because of the performance. The music isn't anything fantastic, and the lyrics are really only humorous with the proper performance and inflections/emotions all in the right places (great great song.) :D
AHHHHH! Neon Noodle!!!