Live album?

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Iamabrawler
Die-hard Fan

Live album?

Post by Iamabrawler »

It`s still a little early to talk about new albums, and maybe this is a suggestion that has already been made before, but here is a topic to discuss a probable Live album from Weird Al.
A lot of artists have made Live albums on which all tracks are the artist`s songs performed on stage and recorded at the same time. I heard there was a Live DVD, and I doubt there`s been a Live CD, which is why I`m posting this here. Then again, I`m unsure about the Live DVD again.
So, basically, Al would have on that CD the songs he performs during a show. That could mean many songs from Alpocalypse, and the ones he does onstage almost every time, such as Wanna B Ur Luvr.
So, basically, I wondered what would be the forum`s opinion on this idea, which has little chance to happen, but if it does happen, well... that would be plain awesome!
The debate is open.
"So I went in my garaage, got in my care
And I drived, talking with my blue teeth
My boyfreind told me don't cree
Come to my houss, don't worraye,
we'll talk about this togeedurr."
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Live album?

Post by minnick27 »

Al's response has been if you want a live cd, pop in the DVD and close your eyes. Aside from LAS and Yoda, his live shows are exactly the same as his albums. Plus there are plenty of bootlegs out there of near soundboard quality. Not that I advocate that sort of thing
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Re: Live album?

Post by weirdojace »

I don't think a Weird Al live album would be all that interesting. But if you really want one, just rip the audio from WAY: Live or the Alpocalypse Live thing and burn it to a CD.
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

Al probably wouldn't have a great market for an actual live album. The DVD/Blu-ray works because it has visual representation, which is a huge part of the live experience. On the other hand, the audio is nearly the same as the studio quality, minus the things Al and the band do to change things up.

I mean, I'd still buy it, but Jace is about right: It wouldn't be very interesting.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

At best, he could release something like this on iTunes only, or some way where there is very little overhead in the cost of producing it. (Similar, I assume, to the way a rarities compilation would have to be released.) But as others have said, there's no real reason to go all out in releasing a live Weird Al album.
If anyone does have a good audio rip of the Alpocalypse DVD/BD though, please send me a PM.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Please PM if you have one, too.
And Peggy
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Live album?

Post by Kevbo1987 »

I'll third that request.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
eleventhirtyfour
Occasional

Post by eleventhirtyfour »

I did rip the Alpocalypse live dvd and it is kind of interesting how actually a lot of songs on there have something unique about them as compared to the studio versions. And just for fun... A LIST OF THEM!

1. Polka Face - the only thing really that I notice is the low horn part at the beginning is played on accordion instead.
2. TMZ - includes accordion as studio version doesn't.
3. Smells Like Nirvana - alternate last verse "and I forgot the next verse... ...oh well, whatever, nevermind."
4. Skipper Dan - nothing that really stands out...
5. Party In The CIA - not really...
6. Let Me Be Your Hog - includes ridiculous introduction and no record scratch ending.
7. Canadian Idiot - other than "this song's about... Canada.", nothing really.
8. Wanna B Ur Lovr - the AWESOME singing at the end makes it worth it for a live version.
9. Medley - OBVIOUSLY different than the studio versions. Almost like a new song (no?).
10. Amish Paradise - nope.
11. Craigslist - contains local reference for the snotty barista part
12. Perform This Way - ...mmmm nope.
13. White & Nerdy - ...uhhhhhh no.
14. Fat - music video intro, music video sound effects throughout (not all though), alternate "ho" parts, additional jamming after the song with band member introductions
15. The Saga Begins - extra organ song at the beginning (forgot which one), holds the note way too long on "i'm still here and heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee's a ghost"
16. Yoda - extra organ song at the beginning (again, forgot which one), yoda chant in the middle, extra rocking out at the end
17. Frank's 2000" TV - joke/drum solo at the beginning, song not really different
18. You Don't Love Me Anymore - joke/bass solo at the beginning, song not really different, guitar smash/drum solo at the end
19. You Make Me - extra yell at the beginning (not really anything)

and i already know that the last three songs were not at the end of the concert. i just put them there as that's how it is on the dvd. blah.

so is it worth having the audio from the live dvd or any live concert based on the results above? i'll leave that for you to decide. just kidding. IT'S TOTALLY WORTH IT!
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

Ooh speaking of the yell at the beginning of YMM, it definitely reminded me of Danny Elfman's Oingo Boingo vocals. It fit the style incredibly well. I know it's trivial, but it was something I appreciated as an OB enthusiast.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

eleventhirtyfour wrote:4. Skipper Dan - nothing that really stands out...
5. Party In The CIA - not really...
Actually, the background vocals are a little more prominent toward the end of "Skipper Dan" and "CIA" really sounds different without the blaring keyboards in the background. I've been meaning to bring this up somewhere here now that you mention it. It just takes away too much from the song and I wish they would have found a way to incorporate it into the live performances.
eleventhirtyfour wrote:10. Amish Paradise - nope.
The bass is a little more prominent.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...