KFI AM 640 - hourlong interview

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

mrmeadows
Obsessed

KFI AM 640 - hourlong interview

Post by mrmeadows »

Al was on with Bill Handel on KFI in Los Angeles this morning (a mere few blocks away from where I live!) and stayed for the full hour. Not a whole lot of new info here, although I think it's the first time I'd heard that Al went by the name "Al Matthews" for an off-campus radio gig when in college.

This interview is by a local radio station, obviously, but it's the top talk radio station and morning show in the (huge) Los Angeles market, so that's a nice bit of exposure for Al. Bill Handel is kind of a curmudgeonly schmuck, but by the end of the interview his persona drops a bit and it's clear he respects Al. After Al left, they spent about 5 minutes talking about how nice he was, and Handel rattled off Al's accomplishments and couldn't stop talking about how smart he is and doesn't get credit for it. The lowlight of the interview was when they returned from commercial and played some bad "I Like Big Butts" parody that they must have found (mislabeled as Al) on YouTube as bumper music. Al basically said "that's not me, if you thought it was", and Handel said "oh, no...I knew that!", and then moved on. *sigh*

Anyway, they said the interview would be available on their On Demand site very soon. It's not there yet, but here's a link to their On Demand archive so just keep refreshing and I imagine it will show up at some point: http://www.kfiam640.com/media/podcast-h ... illHandel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: It's there now.
Skippy
Addicted

Re: KFI AM 640 - hourlong interview

Post by Skippy »

Listened to some and then skipped ahead to the "Baby Got Back" blunder. Handel actually admits that he thought the song was Al, and then tries to cover for himself by saying it was because Al does such good impressions of everybody, which is even worse because a) Al rarely sounds vocally like whoever he's parodying and b) whoever is doing that terrible song they played does not in any way sound like Sir Mix-A-Lot (or Al, for that matter.)

Other than that, it was a pretty good interview for the parts of it I listened to.
just2good
Occasional

Post by just2good »

That dude was annoying. He didn't let Al talk to much, and didn't seem well informed.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I hadn't realized before this that "Al Matthews" was a paid DJ gig, separate from "Weird Al" on the Cal Poly station.