UHF II vs. Anything Else

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

Which would you rather see?

UHF 2
12%
Something New
88%

Total votes: 33

Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Re: UHF II vs. Anything Else

Post by Wizzerkat »

mellow weasel wrote:I want something new.
UHF was OK, it was funny, I enjoyed it, but it wasn't that great. Only slightly above-average comedy. :F
Don't worry, you're not alone in your opinion. UHF is ok, but nothing hugely spectacular IMO. I am not bothering to get the new release thingy.

I would definitely want a brand new thing. He's come a LONG way since UHF from a creative perspective.
Is my dude a dweeb?
Burger
Regular

Post by Burger »

I was watching the Weird Al Show yesterday, and I would love to see it on TV again. It was friggin hilarious!
Currently serving one year in grammar school for word crimes
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

I never knew that Al had said he wouldn't want to do a sequel. I thought I once saw him say that he would if he had the financing, but didn't think he could get Michael Richards or Fran Drescher back for a sequel (but then again, Richards did do the audio commentary and seemed to look back fondly on his role, though TV Tropes claims that he sees it as an "old shame", and I don't really think Fran Drescher is that big, what's she done lately?).

I've always thought there could be possibilities for a sequel. Kevin McCarrthey is dead, but I don't think they need R.J. Flecther (or Richard or any Flecther relatives) to be the main villain. They could have a different rival studio, or could deal with ratings falling, maybe competition from cable or online streaming.

It would also be funny if the movie heavily parodied the fact that many movie sequels are not as good as the first, especially if they can't get Michael Richards, Victoria Jackson, Fran Drescher, or any other important ones (would they dare make a sequel without Al?).

Then again, there have been a handful of times when Al worked on scripts for other movies (made-for-TV movies for Showtime and Cartoon Network) that both fell through (though I know that Al is allowed to sell his script for Cartoon Network to another studio).
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

weird user wrote:I never knew that Al had said he wouldn't want to do a sequel.
You obviously don't watch enough Al interviews :lol:
weird user wrote: I thought I once saw him say that he would if he had the financing
That must have been early 90's, because more recently he always says he doesn't want a sequel.
weird user wrote: It would also be funny if the movie heavily parodied the fact that many movie sequels are not as good as the first
But then it would end up being the only funny thing about the movie :?

As crazygurl14 said, it's just too long since UHF, many people would probably think that "UHF 2" is the name of the TV channel and then get confused during the movie when it's not.
Troodon
Occasional

Post by Troodon »

UHF was pretty good (I won't say it was great, it wasn't, though it wasn't as bad as Ebert made it out to be lol) but I don't see much sequel potential. I think if Al were to make another movie, the UHF-brand humor in a better script and plot would be a much better way to go.

Possibly even something animated rather than live- action; Al's been doing great voice work lately. If he wasn't already famous for musical parody and satire, he'd probably be a well known voice actor by now.
Burger
Regular

Post by Burger »

I loved UHF, and I was laughing my butt off the whole time.
Currently serving one year in grammar school for word crimes
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

I think a better question for a second Al feature film is if it should be in a similar style to UHF or not.

UHF was a very setpiece heavy sketch movie with a vague plot to tie it together. Al TV and even The Weird Al Show are similar, so what I'd be interested in knowing is if people still want that sort of thing or a more plot heavy film.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

Mystik Tomato wrote:I think a better question for a second Al feature film is if it should be in a similar style to UHF or not.
Not. What I really want to see is Al in a role of superinteligent alien/robot villain :lol: . I mean it...