Al And Mad

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Re: Al And Mad

Post by Killingsworth »

minnick27 wrote:Basically he says he could replace 1 word from any song with a funny word and have a hit. Heart is fart, love is lunch (and one suggestion is an actual song) There's also a reinterpretation of Footloose being about leprosy. A couple of other things I don't want to spoil. It's a funny article, not actual ideas he had, at least I hope not
The fact that I've seen footage of Al performing "Free Delivery" on the RWS tour is a dead giveaway that most of that article was fake.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I finally got my grubby lil paws on this last night. What a treasure it is. All fans should pick this up. It's a touching love letter to MAD Magazine; the influence of the early years of the magazine is all over this issue. Great work Al!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Picked up my copy on my lunch break today. Checked CVS, but they didn't have it there, so I went to an Albertson's across the parking lot and sure enough, they had it, so I bought a copy there. Had to rush back to the office before I could read it, but going to as soon as I get home after work!
And Peggy
joseyklein
Obsessed

Post by joseyklein »

Store doesn't have it yet... they still have the one with ghostbusters on the cover
...our neighbors septic tank was the closest thing we had..
tomatochives
Die-hard Fan

Post by tomatochives »

weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

I picked up the issue yesterday. First issue of Mad I got all decade, and the first one I purchased myself (my dad bought me the few other issues (of Mad) I have, and I have purchased some of the Mad compilation books). It is great.

It seems like the only material Al wrote was stuff that had to do with him. It would have been nice if he'd have written a comic or two that wasn't directly relevant to Weird Al. But the Weird Al stuff is among the best of this issue, including the opening comic, "Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions - Weird Al edition", "A Mad Look at a Weird Al Concert", and Al's notebook. I haven't really paid attention to everything in this issue yet, but even some of the non-Weird Al material is great, like the California comics.

I think that's the first time I actually saw the Uncle Nutzy comic. I believe I have google searched it before but only saw an image. It's great to finally see the whole comic.

The introduction for The Weird Al-Ini Pages says that Weird Al asked his friends to write the material instead of him doing it. I wonder if they really did write it. I didn't see any writers credit for these pages.

I wonder what all Al did as a guest editor. I saw an interview where he talked about it but I can't remember what all he said besides that he wrote some of the articles. I wonder if there'll be more guest editors in the near future. It would be great if Weird Al would guest edit again sometime (maybe 63 years from now?). I also wonder if any of the Weird Al stuff would look out-of-place out of context if included in a compilation book.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

weird user wrote: The introduction for The Weird Al-Ini Pages says that Weird Al asked his friends to write the material instead of him doing it. I wonder if they really did write it. I didn't see any writers credit for these pages.
They're all credited in the title of each piece in the article...
crazygurl14
Obsessed

Post by crazygurl14 »

Took my daughter to UDF for ice cream yesterday after school and saw MAD in the magazine rack. Was the first time I have ever picked up an issue and I read through it, mainly looking at the weird al stuff and it was actually funny. I liked the rejected song parody article
Concerts i have attended:
memorial day 2000
july 27, 2003
august 22,2004
june 27, 2007
May 29, 2011
July 8, 2016
March 26,2018
July 3, 2019
ACTUALLY GOT AUTOGRAPH & HUG
6-27-13
After show autograph 7-3-19
Al-gal since '99
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Found something by a 1 issue Mad writer http://www.biography.com/news/weird-al- ... -interview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Let the speculation on when Nina's debut polka album drops begin!
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?