DVR Alerts

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

FredHuggins
Obsessed

Post by FredHuggins »

Of all the things to suddenly come back from the grave and reawaken my fear of everything, good god bloody SAFETY PATROL will be airing this month on Disney XD!

What's Safety Patrol, you ask? Safety Patrol was a made-for-TV Disney movie which first aired on ABC in 1998. It was directed by Al's friend Savage Steve Holland, and starred such luminaries as Bug Hall, Lanie Kazan, Curtis "Booger" Armstrong, Ed MacMahon, Leslie Nielsen, and yes, our pal Al. And not only did Al appear in it, HE WROTE AND RECORDED A NEW SONG FOR IT! He never released it on CD, but that's probably because the song's lyrics were so tightly wound around the movie's pitiful excuse for a plot.

Because, here's the thing: despite Al's involvement, Safety Patrol completely SUCKS! It's quite possibly the worst thing Al has ever appeared in, and that includes "The Winans' Real Meaning of Christmas." It's this horrible, generic, squeaky-clean too-many-kids-not-enough-had-acting-lessons alleged "comedy" with bad writing, worse acting, incompetent direction and a general sense of "why'd we even bother" sadness dripping from every pore. I knew this even when I first saw it over a decade ago, and back then I was a dumb eighth-grader! It's not even good enough for MST3K or Rifftrax, because they don't do comedies (every line winds up being some variation of "that wasn't funny"). "Safety Patrol" was never released on DVD, though it WAS briefly released on VHS...in 1999! In a year when EVERYTHING was starting to come out on DVD, "Safety Patrol" was only good enough for VHS! Honestly, if Disney knew what was good for them they'd have kept it buried forever in the dank, unpleasant corner of the Disney vault, alongside "Magic Journeys" and "The Black Hole." But for SOME peculiar reason, some exec at the new cable channel Disney XD has decided to dig it up, just so America can bury it all over again.

Don't believe me? The only YouTube'd clip from this movie is from one of its many tragically Al-less scenes, and it should give you a good idea of the kind of despair we're working with here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTTZcj1IdG0

So why am I telling you about this piece of crap in the first place? Because, Al is in it. OLD school Al, before he lost the glasses and moustache (in fact, this was his last televised appearance with the old look). And co-starring with Al is the giant Weird Al balloon that some of you may remember from the 1997 leg of the Bad Hair Tour - a balloon which plays a pivotal part in the film's not-terribly-exciting action climax. And, of course, this might just be your last chance to hear Al's original song "The Ballad of Kent Marlowe" (well, semi-original. The melody owes quite a bit to "I Was Only Kidding") without resorting to a bootleg - unless of course you buy a used copy on VHS from Amazon for upwards of $3.09. And who the hell has that kind of money in this economy?

Plus, who doesn't love train wrecks? If you love Weird Al and filmed train wrecks, you'll NEVER find a better combination than "Safety Patrol," a horrible train wreck of a movie featuring an extended cameo from Weird Al. (If I had found the tape in enough time, this would have made a PERFECT AL-Tube Friday entry). It airs next Monday, May 18, twice in a row, at 5PM ET/4 CT, and again at 7PM ET/6 CT, on Disney XD. It lasts two hours with commercials. If you don't think you can stomach the whole thing, Al first appears around the 80-90 minute mark (though he's mentioned - foreshadowed, if you will - a couple times beforehand), and reappears at various points. Just when you THINK you've seen the last of him in this movie he shows up again, so don't turn off your TV until at LEAST five minutes or so before the hour.

And don't say I didn't warn you, mm-bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-HAAAAA!
Just gonna stand there and watch me burn...that's alright because I like the way it hurts...
Kayy911
Obsessed

Post by Kayy911 »

UHF is on VH1Classic tonight at 5pm. Check your cable or satellite guide. I think they're re running it tomorrow too.
Those who say nothing is impossible have never tried slamming a revolving door.
flusher5
Addicted

Post by flusher5 »

thrusday at 4, on CMT Extreme Makeover home edition with Al is gonna be on.
I think in some places its listed as CMTV, at least thats what IMDB says

im not too sure about this one, becuase on Charter, it says something different is gonna be on.
Rice in my Laundry, Lice in my Milk.

call me "Ben" not flusher
flusher5
Addicted

Post by flusher5 »

yes, Als on CMT right now

amzo39
Off The Deep End
Awards: Everything

Post by amzo39 »

Thanks, Ben. I'm watching it now. Hurray.
Was in the shower when it got leaked. almost spinned my ankle & dead with my head crack opened #StealMyGirlLeaked #StealMyGirlIsPerfect
flusher5
Addicted

Post by flusher5 »

I just noticed Als part is almost exactly 27 minutes into the show, (including the commercials)

FredHuggins
Obsessed

Post by FredHuggins »

Al was mentioned in the new Comedy Central special "Inside Funny People," about the new movie "Funny People" and its writer/director Judd Apatow's life in comedy.

About halfway through it, Judd talks about how he was so obsessed with comedy in high school that he started his own show on the school's small radio station where he interviewed comedians. The exact quote:

"I was like a lunatic about it. It really was something that took on a life of its own. One weekend I took a three-and-a-half-hour train to Poughkeepsie to interview Weird Al Yankovic and Dr. Demento, and then slept on a bench at the train station. That's how into it I was."

So Judd Apatow is (or at least was) a Weird Al fan! Nice!
Just gonna stand there and watch me burn...that's alright because I like the way it hurts...
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

At least I THINK this is a VCR Alert (if not a Glue Your Eyes To The TV Alert): SuperNews
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

LOL @ the notion of someone setting a VCR to record something on a channel called Current.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Yeah, this title was in desperate need of an update.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;