"UHF" on AMC may become a reality

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

"UHF" on AMC may become a reality

Post by CatraDhtem »

I came upon this on the IMDb today....

MGM Looking to Buy American Movie Classics Channel
MGM Chairman Alex Yemenidjian has indicated that he's looking to buy a cable movie channel -- in particular American Movie Classics (AMC). Yemenidjian told the UBS Warburg media conference in New York that AMC would be "a perfect fit for MGM." Cablevision Systems currently controls the channel and reportedly has engaged in discussions about a potential sale with CBS. However, Yemenidjian observed in a talk with reporters following his speech (as reported by the Los Angeles Times), "It's very easy to understand why the channel will do better in the hands of somebody who owns a 4,000-film library. ... That's why it's so exciting and that's why it's our top choice." Currently, MGM owns a 20-percent stake in AMC.

Although a 4,000-title film library is quite impressive, if we fudge the numbers a little and guess that the average running time for a film with commercials is two hours, that's a little over 8,000 hours....which is only about one year.

So if this sale happens, "UHF" is bound to show up on AMC at some point. And I know that we all adore the film, but surely this would be a sign of the apocalypse. :)
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

I wouldnt say apocolypse. I mean, its 100% American, a movie, and surly a classic. Though AMC has been showing lotsof movies from the late 80's, so it has changed the programming quite a bit. Besides, UHF could go on after the stooges.

Mike
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I wouldnt say apocolypse. I mean, its 100% American, a movie, and surly a classic.

Surely it's not surly? Seems like a cheerful little flick to me :P
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

I wouldnt say apocolypse. I mean, its 100% American, a movie, and surly a classic. Though AMC has been showing lotsof movies from the late 80's, so it has changed the programming quite a bit. Besides, UHF could go on after the stooges.

AMC dropped the Stooges as part of their "new look." What fools, eh?

AMC has really gone downhill these last few years, anyway. I remember when they first started broadcasting....they used to be like how Turner Classic Movies is now.

Nowadays, they air what are essentially edited-for-TV prints, they've added commercial breaks within the movies, and the interesting trivia-filled introductions have been replaced with half hour "behind the scenes" specials for whatever new movie Fox is trying to over-promote.

It's kinda depressing if you're a film nut. Five years ago, movies like "Dragnet," "Halloween 5," and "Shining Through" wouldn't have even had a chance to show up on AMC (and don't get me wrong...I think "Dragnet" is one of Aykroyd's funniest films). Now they do because AMC is almost desperate for content.

The network's true "classics" are very small in number now (why else would something like "Raiders of the Lost Ark" or "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" air like every other day?). Hopefully, the MGM purchase will bring a little class back to the network.

So as I said, most likely "UHF" would show up on AMC if the sale happens. Heck, you could almost count on it if they started doing theme nights again like a "cult comedy night"....can you imagine "UHF" and "This is Spinal Tap" aired back-to-back? But, and again I'm saying this as a fan of the movie, it would never happen if the movie and network didn't have the same owner.