Possible Weird Al Forum Style?!

Place your polls here! And if you know a nice Weird Al game, go play it here!

Moderator: Moderators

anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

For the random quote thing, we shouldn't have every lyric, because it's not weird if you see "Melanie, what can the problem be" or "I need somebody to love." Everyone should choose a favorite line (or use the topic Quoteable Al in General Chat) for it.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Random quotes are gonna slow down load times, aren't they?
WHiZZi
Be jealous.

Post by WHiZZi »

Random quotes are gonna slow down load times, aren't they?

It depends how I save the quotes. If I use plain text it will be a higher load than Database. But it will be less dan 2KB to download for viewing quotes. Only the server load will be higher..

But I guess that won't be a problem since I'm planning to upgrade again (from a P4 2GHz on a 10Mbit internet line to Dual Xeon 3GHz with 4,4GB dataline which will be actually cheaper than it is right now)
Phillipemoz
Occasional

Post by Phillipemoz »

Takes too long to load. I want the forum to load immediatly, like it does now.
Andrew
Occasional

Post by Andrew »

hey there, thanks for responding. I didn't respond earlier as some of the comments earlier were a bit biased. However, I appreciate the newer comments regarding how it could be improved. Yes, I understand some bits are out of place and I will be fixing things up as soon as possible.

As for the random quotation, it would be pretty fancy but I don't know how well phpbb takes to php scripting in templates (I know VB doesn't :P) but if it were to be taken to a quote text file ie. <!--include commands then it could possibly work.

Regarding the load time, it's one image and it's in jpg format therefore the image takes a while to load. However, when you slice it up and put it in a more suitable format (.gif's) then it'll load much quicker.

I've got a couple ideas how to make it more al-ized but right now I need to work on a few other things.

I might set up a temp. phpbb on my site and then test out the template there. See what it would be like.

Thanks,

Andrew

PS. these forums are slow loading already... must be that really aweful logo at the very top ;) j/k
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

hey there, thanks for responding. I didn't respond earlier as some of the comments earlier were a bit biased.

Well, to be fair, you did ask people what they thought. All in all, I thought people were pretty nice, even if they didn't like your design. You can't expect to please everyone. :biggrin:
DrewBoo
Occasional
Location: Alabama, where that kind of thing is NOT tolerated, thank you very much!

Post by DrewBoo »

I might be able to make you guys a theme for your forums. I've been making phpBB themes for a long time, and if you want to see some of my work, I can provide some links. (I don't know if you would allow that).

However, my "Appalachia" and "Appalachia 2.0" Themes can be downloaded from the official phpBB website (phpbb.com), and I'm pleased to say they are both on the "Top Rated" list. :)

BTW I like your theme a lot, it captures Al's wackiness. Have you coded that or is it just a template image?
There are so many people who inspired me in my career. I'd like to sit down with each one of them and thank them personally. But of course, that'd be a complete waste of my free time.

- Weird Al quote of the week
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Check the discussion here Drew Boo.
DrewBoo
Occasional
Location: Alabama, where that kind of thing is NOT tolerated, thank you very much!

Post by DrewBoo »

I got it earlier, thanks again! ;)
There are so many people who inspired me in my career. I'd like to sit down with each one of them and thank them personally. But of course, that'd be a complete waste of my free time.

- Weird Al quote of the week
danthefanman
Addicted
Location: Hiding behind one of those 3 Al heads, can you guess which one?

Post by danthefanman »

You know, come to think of it, staying up all night can't be easy on the eyes, the hawwain desion might work among insomniacs.
Dan wuz here