So Many Freakin' Polls

Place your polls here! And if you know a nice Weird Al game, go play it here!

Moderator: Moderators

danthefanman
Addicted
Location: Hiding behind one of those 3 Al heads, can you guess which one?

Post by danthefanman »

Good right, how bout we ban all non survivor polls until the survivors are done, that sounds reasonable enough, sides it works in the long run, it would cut polls in half to have the survivors now, and the regular ones afterwards.
Dan wuz here
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Why do we need to ban all non-survivor polls? I'm just saying there's some polls that aren't needed.
danthefanman
Addicted

Post by danthefanman »

just until the survivors are done. Then it's anything goes, but you see, since only survivors will be running, the other half (or so) will not be. Something to this effect would work.
Dan wuz here
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

I guess I'm just saying there doesnt need to be a "Favorite Song To Listen To Backwards" poll.
danthefanman
Addicted

Post by danthefanman »

I guess I'm just saying there doesnt need to be a "Favorite Song To Listen To Backwards" poll.

I REMEMBER LARRY!!!!!!

anyway, my idea can be tweeked, how bout we just ban all stupid polls, we just charicterise what is and isn't stupid.
Dan wuz here
Moose
Occasional

Post by Moose »

I agree that we need some restrictions on polls, but this is the Polls and Games section. Obviously there's gonna be alot of polls.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I don't know that we do need restrictions, per se. But if I see Polls that are pointless (Favorite Al Songs That Start With A, and Favorite Song That Rhymes With Deadrock Anthem authors, I'm lookin' at you!) I will lock them.

This is as good a time as any to discuss what does and does not make a Poll/Game/Topic worth posting.

I have my opinion, but I'd like to hear from others too.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

It's kinda hard to describe a useless poll. It's more a "you know it when you see it" kind of situation. I think it may be best to just let the moderators use their discretion. And if we see anything really stupid, we could just use that little blue button (now that I know what it's for! :satisfied: )
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

This is as good a time as any to discuss what does and does not make a Poll/Game/Topic worth posting.
That was the original intent of starting this thread.

And about the Deadrock Banthem poll, I was trying to parody how useless the polls are getting here. I did it expecting to get locked.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Glad I didn't disappoint you then!

Ok, so here's my 27 cents worth of what makes a good poll/game/topic. Actually, I think I'm going to approach it from the opposite direction. If you recognize my examples as being a thread you started, please don't take it personally.

1. Topic too narrow. "Did you read the article in XYZ local magazine that nobody but me can get, and I have no intention of giving you even the barest hint of what it says, much less take the time to scan/type it for you? Guess what? If anyone answers, the answer will be "No." This type of post really doesn't deserve it's own topic. It should be lumped together with the Magazine Alert topic. However, a single article can make for a good discussion IF a lot of people have access to it, either by seeing it online/purchasing magazine or the member providing a scan or transcript.

2. Topic that's not new and has been discussed heavily, but you don't know that because you don't want to take a moment to look to see if it's been discussed before. What are Weird Points for? Come on... do a little homework.

3. Ditto information that is easily gained at The Mothership. I won't fault you if you haven't delved into the depths of Al-oholics Anonymous, or memorized The Songography, but once again... do a little homework. Bermuda has spent a lot of time over the years to make that information available. The Ask Al Archives alone are worth the price of admission. And if you haven't read them, you should do so immediately. Now. What are you waiting for?

Anything I missed?