A band downunder - my time in OZ

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

bermuda
Be jealous.

A band downunder - my time in OZ

Post by bermuda »

We just got back from our tour of Australia - 11 dates in 8 cities - and the audience reaction was terrific! Most shows were sold-out, the others at near-capacity. Definitely a pleasurable trip for all, and I hope we can return again with a new show (after the next album is released.) Of course I have photos, and will post them soon in the next Gallery update at weirdal.com. This was my first trip to Australia and I have to tell you my impressions of the country and its people.

We started in Sydney with a few days off, and immediately noticed that the city was very clean. There's little or no smog, clean streets and busses and trains, and almost no graffiti as compared to any of the big cities in the US. Getting around on public transportation was easy and efficient, akin to the New York or London subway systems, and of course a complete '180' compared to L.A. (which possesses virtually no mass transit!) We also played Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Canberra, Gold Coast, Brisbane, and ended the run in Newcastle. We left Sunday afternoon, and arrived Sunday morning in L.A. - go figure. Almost without exception, the cities were beautiful and usually near the water, although I admit that parts of Newcastle could be mistaken for Bakersfield...

The most surprising thing, in this world we live in, is that the people there are nice. They're friendly. They're downright courteous! People on the street, bus drivers, clerks in stores, drivers stopping their cars to let you cross... I can't begin to convey the feeling I got when some surfer/slacker-types gave up their seats on the bus for some elderly riders. That happened several times. People say please, and thank you, and look you in the eye. I ran into only one person who failed to say 'excuse me' or react when we bumped into each other. He may very well have been from the States! There were plenty of "g'day" greetings, but more often it was "How ya goin'."

I visited about 75 record shops during my travels, and filled-in some missing Aussie-issued titles in my recordings archive. I even discovered a compilation that was new to me: HUNGRY FOR HITS on Concept Records (they licensed stuff like Eat It and Surgeon and placed them on a series of 'hits' albums in the 80s.) CD prices range from $20-30 (roughly US$14-21) and vinyl and singles were as little as $1 or 2. Prices in general were slightly higher than the states (a bottle of Coke in a convenience store is about US$1.75) but some items were quite reasonable, particularly in secondhand & antique shops (my 2nd favorite pursuit on the road!)

Basically, I loved it all - the different cars, the people, the food... well, not always. I know that some of those who live there feel the bigger cities have become very Americanized and that society is getting worse, but believe me, most Australian people's attitude is very favorable towards life and each other, at least compared to what I see in the US. That's not bad, and I'm not down on the country I call home... it's just different there. And viva le difference!!

I highly recommend a visit there for anyone who wants a carefree, enjoyable, affordable vacation. Allow about 2 weeks and plan on seeing Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane for sure.

Bermuda
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Wow. Sounds like you had a great time.

Any chance that an Australian show (or American) will be on DVD... 8) ?
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Sporkman
Addicted

Post by The Sporkman »

[semi-profound statement] It seems rather befitting; the country of Australia has been reviewing TBITB for the past couple weeks, and now TBITB have reviewed the country of Australia. [/semi-profound statement]
SmileyGirl87
Off The Deep End

Post by SmileyGirl87 »

Bermuda-

Thanks so much for sharing your impressions of AU! I'm so glad it was a worthwhile and safe trip, and that you got to see a beautiful country. My aunt spent a year in Australia, and now wishes she could move there, as she fell in love with it. Many of the things you mentioned, such as the demeanor of the locals, were exactly the highlights my aunt detailed...so I'm happy to hear it! Thanks for having a wonderful time, and giving everyone in AU a treat! (And coming home safe and sound!)

:biggrin:

~*Cat*~
kidcid
Obsessed

Post by kidcid »

I'm glad to hear it was such a great trip. I would love to travel to Austrailia someday..actually I'd love to go anywhere outside the USA. I'm pleased that this opportunity for you was such a success!!!

Welcome back!

Cid
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

Wow. I want to visit Australia now to experience really nice people everywhere. That would be quite a change.

I'm glad you guys had such a great time! Can't wait for the update.

-CindyBob
weirdallie27
Off The Deep End

Post by weirdallie27 »

Welcome back, Jon. It's great to hear the tour was such a success and that you had a good time. It's also great to have you back. We missed ya!

~Allison
M3m3s3
Off The Deep End

Post by M3m3s3 »

Welcome back!

NOW GIVE US DETAILS ABOUT THE 04 TOUR!!! LOL! Just kidding! :P

Glad to hear you guys had such a great time!
Driew_La_27
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Signature

Re: A band downunder - my time in OZ

Post by Driew_La_27 »

QUOTE Definitely a pleasurable trip for all, and I hope we can return again with a new show (after the next album is released.)

When he said "I hope we can return with a new show.....After NEXT album is released. Does that mean that between now and '04 that there's going to be a new album. Probably not :( . I'm guessing he means Aussie tour, but it got my heart racing when I first read it.

Also Bermuda will there be a Weird Al Live DVD for Poodle Hat? Also when is the compilation supposed to come out? This sounds like a Ask Bermuda doesn't it. :biggrin: ...I'm sorry Bermuda please forgive me; I got so excited. Welcome back we missed you.

Driew The Weird One
In hiding since 2010
doggans
Die-hard Fan

Post by doggans »

Glad you and the band returned safely, and glad you had a good tour!
"Wow, another triple negative!"