Weird Al Survivor IX - Chitchat Thread

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Re: Weird Al Survivor IX - Chitchat Thread

Post by Elvis »

What time is the reunion show again?

And let me say that both finalists did an excellent job with their statements to the jury. I'm still very much undecided.

Dave
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Reunion will begin Monday at 8 PM EDT...not entirely sure what the format will be yet since we no longer have the chatroom but we'll do our best to make it awesome.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Is the reunion the same event where the winner will be announced, or is that Sunday night?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

The winner reveal will be at the conclusion of the reunion.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Still waiting on votes from two jurors...
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I've decided to call off the reunion since I didn't really prepare too much for it--so the winner reveal will be posted tonight at 9 PM EDT. After that I'll add all 18 players to both the Minor Celebrities and Jungle Cruise Guides groups so you can get a chance to read everything from before the merge...and when Elvis or WHiZZi get a chance, we'll open those up to everyone.

Edit: Gonna be at 9 actually
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Ironically, I have been called in for jury duty tomorrow morning.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Congrats on winning, Jon!!! And good luck with jury duty!
And Peggy
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

Why on earth was everyone thinking that I was one of the people running the show. I was basically Smithers to Jon's Mr Burns.

But hey, I was considered a threat to people within the game! That's pretty cool!
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Oops, I totally messed up the jury votes in my chart...dingo didn't submit a vote, and Mary and Amerah were not on the jury.

Ok, so as I said earlier, I want to get some feedback on the twists and challenges of this season--and please be honest. A couple of questions, first off...

-Hosting style. Any significant issues anybody had? Namely, I want to make sure that everybody felt that the game was run smoothly and objectively. Any feedback, positive or negative, is appreciated.
-Challenge mix. Overall, do you think there was an appropriate balance of creative vs. trivia vs. puzzles? Non-live vs. live?
-Private forums for each tribe. Good idea? Bad idea? Did it enhance the game for you? Personally I like the format a lot because it gives us some more freedom in running challenges, but I know that some felt it may have made things less exciting.
-Overall take on the season, taking everything into account (challenges, cast, boot order, etc.). One of the best? Worst of all time? I personally would say top 3 but I'm sure some will disagree.

So now the big twists. I'll give my personal take on each one and I hope to hear from you guys too:
MIXING OLD AND NEW PLAYERS: My guess is that this is a necessity in the future given the pool of available contestants, but ultimately it's probably something that should be left up to the host of a given season. Unlike the real show, having "veterans" and "newbies" playing together doesn't seem to impact the dynamic, and I think this was probably the best cast ever, at least since season 1. Works for me.
RANDOMLY SELECTED TRIBES: Not a bad idea in theory, but didn't play out too well. Challenge-wise, I think the tribes were pretty balanced, at least on paper, but a lot of alliances were mapped out by luck of the draw. Plus, the nature of the first challenge almost guaranteed that the MIA FreakyGeeky's team would lose. Maybe a pick'em would've worked better.
KIDNAPPING: Short-term it made for some neat strategies and moments, definitely. I don't think it had much long-term impact. Could be repeated with some tweaks; I'd rather try out something else though.
MULTIPLE PEOPLE WINNING IMMUNITY: Three people won immunity at the first individual challenge. I'm sure that something similar was done in the past, but this one was significant because it spared the two most obvious targets. So I guess it was decent, albeit not a groundbreaking concept.
IMMUNITY CAN BE TRADED FOR CHALLENGE ADVANTAGE: Never came up. :lol: Probably for the best because it would complicate things.
REMOVING INACTIVES: This is the biggest question mark of the season for me, because I didn't have a plan for it in advance and I had to make a call on the fly pretty much. It's something we definitely need to come up with an accepted rule for...you don't want inactive players outlasting everyone else because they aren't threats, but you don't want to disrupt anyone's strategy either. My suggestion in the future: the first time a player neglects to vote, it's a warning. After that, self-votes become cumulative and add up every single round. So basically, players in the minority can use that to their advantage, but it doesn't disrupt the schedule either.

I'll go through the challenges later...