Weird Al Survivor IX - Gameplay Thread - WINNER REVEALED!

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

The Doctor
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Weird Al Survivor IX - Gameplay Thread

Post by The Doctor »

Silence will fall.
RobInMD
Occasional

Post by RobInMD »

anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Here it is, folks. The moment of truth. Are you destined to begin the game as a Jungle Cruise Guide, where you can sulk with your fellow eight tribemates over the misfortune of sharing unsuccessful acting careers? Or are you gonna be a Minor Celebrity, where you can sulk with your fellow eight tribemates over the misfortune of sharing avatars from the Bill Plympton "TMZ" video?

1. RobinMD (The Jungle Cruise Guides)
2. Big Spoon (The Minor Celebrities)
3. TMBJon (The Minor Celebrities)
4. WeirdMary0427 (The Jungle Cruise Guides)
5. MissyMoo38 (The Minor Celebrities)
6. Wizzerkat (The Jungle Cruise Guides)
7. Elvis (The Jungle Cruise Guides)
8. Killingsworth (The Minor Celebrities)
9. AAAmerah (The Minor Celebrities)
10. Mystik Tomato (The Minor Celebrities)
11. quantumerror (The Jungle Cruise Guides)
12. melcor58 (The Jungle Cruise Guides)
13. FreakyGeeky (The Minor Celebrities)
14. minnick27 (The Jungle Cruise Guides)
15. RyanHippFTW (The Minor Celebrities)
16. the dingo (The Jungle Cruise Guides)
17. The Doctor (The Minor Celebrities)
18. Akrovak (The Jungle Cruise Guides)

You should now see your tribe's forum on the bottom of the main page. Please make a post in the sign-in thread to verify that you see the correct forum--if you don't see it by the time I post the challenge instructions, please let me know and I'll fix it. You should only be able to see your respective tribe's forum.

Once everybody's all set, the first challenge will begin!

There is, however, one other little thing we should mention…
KIDNAPPING
After each challenge, the losing tribe will of course have to vote somebody out. But as they do, the winning tribe will also be making a decision, choosing one member of the losing tribe to kidnap. What this entails is that, immediately after the Tribal Council results are posted, the kidnapped player will lose access to his or her tribe's forum and temporarily become a member of the other tribe, where they will remain until the next challenge.

The winning tribe has until the scheduled Tribal Council voting deadline to select two members of the losing tribe to kidnap, in order of preference (one is a back-up just in case the tribe's first choice is voted out). This will not be a formal vote; one of the hosts will set up a thread in the winning tribe's forum where the players will discuss and come to a decision.

Once there, the kidnapped player will be able to read and post in all topics in the winning tribe's forum. (The exception: Tribal Council discussion threads, which will be hidden after the vote reading to encourage tribe members to talk openly, and the kidnap discussion threads.) Each contestant is only eligible to be kidnapped once, unless all remaining members of a tribe have already been kidnapped.

Of course, it wouldn't be Weird Al Survivor if there weren't a twist! In keeping with the "choices" motif of the season, the power will then shift to the kidnapped player, who will have the option of switching tribes. The winning tribe is welcome to try to woo this potential new teammate however they see fit, although there is no official incentive (immunity, double vote, etc.) for players who decide to switch. However, it certainly could be a wise decision depending on your position.

If the kidnapped player does wish to switch tribes, he or she must post a statement to that effect in the Gameplay topic before the scheduled time of the next challenge. Please make this decision carefully, as it cannot be undone. Otherwise, you will be transferred back to your original tribe right before challenge instructions are posted. (Depending on the length of time between Tribal Council results and the next challenge, some people may be kidnapped for a longer period than others. It's simply luck of the draw.)

If you have any questions, please ask them here. The first challenge will be posted in 5 minutes!
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

IC 1 – Life is Like a Box of Lyrics

Now that you all have been divided into tribes, it's time for your very first challenge…and we're starting off with a bang that'll require knowledge of Al lyrics, some solid deduction skills, and a lot of teamwork.

There will be a total of nine drop-down puzzles (see example below), each with letters that, when assembled properly, make a lyric from an Al song. You may solve the puzzles as a group in the work thread but each person playing must post one and only one answer in the official answer thread in their tribe forum, and there is no order in which they need to be solved. In other words, if one person figures out Puzzle #5 and properly posts the answer in their tribe forum, they have completed their portion of the challenge but they can still help figure out the remaining puzzles.

The proper format to answer is to simply post the image of the respective puzzle and then its answer (in text) below it. No punctuation is used in any of the puzzles, although you may include it in your answers--it's not required though. Proper spelling and spacing, however, is a must. (All lyrics and spelling were taken from booklets or Alsongs.com.) One of the hosts will confirm your answers as soon as he sees it.

Each puzzle is scored individually, so the first team to solve Puzzle #1 gets the point, the first team to solve Puzzle #2 gets that point, etc. The trick is, of course, that you will have no idea how the other tribe is doing. The first team to properly answer all nine puzzles gets two extra points, so the final score will be out of a total of 11.

Remember--you are posting the answers in your tribe forum. Please do not post any answers in this thread before the end of the challenge, or your tribe will automatically lose the point for the respective puzzle(s).

You have until 5 PM EST on Thursday, February 2 to complete this challenge. If neither team manages to complete the challenge (or in the unlikely event that the tribes posted one or more solutions at the exact same minute) and we end up with a tie, one additional drop-down puzzle will be posted that night at 8 PM to determine the winner.

If there are any questions, please ask now. I'll post the nine puzzles in a moment.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Just to clarify how to solve these--the letters on the top half of each column (as separated by the slightly thicker black line) go in some order into the same column on the bottom half. If you reach the end of a row and haven't completed a word, it continues in the first column on the next row below, as in the example.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

So, if you reach a black space on the bottom half of the puzzle, you should have completed a word?
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Correct.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Challenge 1 Answers

Mary Jane still wouldn't notice him even if his hair was on fire

Hottest shorty I know, if you had some lipo, you could be second runner-up Miss Ohio

I've seen the man unhinge his jaw, and swallow a Volkswagen whole

You just picked up some transvestite, seconds later it's up on the web site

I'd rather rip out my intestines with a fork than watch you going out with other men

No part of me's blank, I'm really ink-obsessed. It's like an art show the moment that I get undressed.

He shops at discount stores, not just any will suffice. He has to find a bargain 'cause he won't pay retail price.

The picture's crystal clear and everything is magnified. Robert DeNiro's mole has got to be ten feet wide.

My daddy was a waitress, my mama sold bathroom tile. My brothers and sisters all hated me 'cause I was an only child
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Both tribes did a great job on this challenge--I saw a lot of teamwork and skill as you worked on these puzzles. But unfortunately, only one tribe can win. Let's run down the puzzles and the times each answer was officially posted in each tribe.

Puzzle 1Jungle Cruise Guides
Jungle Cruise Guides: 1/30, 8:30 PM (Elvis)
Minor Celebrities: 1/30, 9:09 PM (Mystik Tomato)

Puzzle 2Minor Celebrities
Jungle Cruise Guides: 1/31, 5:51 AM (minnick27)
Minor Celebrities: 1/30, 9:39 PM (Big Spoon)

Puzzle 3Jungle Cruise Guides
Jungle Cruise Guides: 1/30, 9:02 PM (the dingo)
Minor Celebrities: 1/30, 10:04 PM (AAAmerah)

Puzzle 4Minor Celebrities
Jungle Cruise Guides: 1/31, 12:53 AM (Wizzerkat)
Minor Celebrities: 1/30, 9:39 PM (MissyMoo38)

Puzzle 5Jungle Cruise Guides
Jungle Cruise Guides: 1/30, 9:00 PM (melcor58)
Minor Celebrities: 1/30, 10:28 PM (TMBJon)

Puzzle 6Jungle Cruise Guides
Jungle Cruise Guides: 1/30, 9:47 PM (quantumerror)
Minor Celebrities: 1/31, 9:32 AM (RyanHippFTW)

Puzzle 7Jungle Cruise Guides
Jungle Cruise Guides: 1/31, 1:07 PM (RobInMD)
Minor Celebrities:

Puzzle 8Jungle Cruise Guides
Jungle Cruise Guides: 1/30, 9:15 PM (WeirdMary0427)
Minor Celebrities: 1/31, 12:07 AM (Killingsworth)

Puzzle 9Minor Celebrities
Jungle Cruise Guides: 1/30, 11:06 PM (Akrovak)
Minor Celebrities: 1/30, 9:19 PM (The Doctor)

Curiously enough, both tribes saved puzzle #7 for last...but with RobInMD's post for the Jungle Cruise Guides at 1:07 this afternoon, that entire tribe completed the challenge, earning the two additional points, which means the Jungle Cruise Guides are victorious, 8-3. Great effort from everyone, but Minor Celebrities, I'll be seeing you at Tribal Council in a few minutes.