Whatever You Like

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Post by Wizzerkat »

The last time I looked at the top 10 in Comedy at ITunes Al had 6 of 10 of the top ten songs! That happens frequently!
Is my dude a dweeb?
BabyBoolie27
Obsessed

Post by BabyBoolie27 »

That's because he is the best! Glad to know that iTunes finally figured out their own technology! :rolleyes:

I love your Avi Whizzercat! That's a great one! :9~
I like all animals...well except for monkeys, because they climb all over your face and slap you!
Al's Homeboy
Obsessed

Post by Al's Homeboy »

Well things are starting to look a little brighter for itunes.
BUTTER!
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

Well, I'm bringing the discussion on the cover art on this topic. After all, we're talking about the song here.

I'm not sure what's the story behind it, and I might eventually sympathize if I hear something like "well, we *had* to come up with something, but we were trapped in a snow blizzard and we could see the four horsemen of the Apocalypse through the window". I mean, I don't know, it might be one of those "you had to be there" kind of things.

But here are two of my main problems with it:

A. It doesn't have Al's pretty face in it
and
B. The cover art IS! NOT! FUNNY!

Problem A is mostly a personal problem, and I understand if you tell me to deal with it. But problem B... well, it's a problem for everyone.

Let's not forget that Al is a musician, and selling songs is part of his business. Now, we love Al and he doesn't need to try to sell us anything. Hell, we'd probably throw ourselves in front of a train if he asked us to! But the other 99.9% of potential customers don't read Al's MySpace Blog, the Yank Blog, or have the "weird al yankovic" alert on Yahoo News (what? why are you looking at me like that). So he needs to reach those people somehow. And if you consider the fact that iTunes didn't help with the advertising at all, what was left? Al's "brand" (his name and reputation), and the album cover.

And that album cover just... *sigh*. Seriously. I have no idea what they tried to do with that. (Again, maybe if it was explained to me. Maybe.) The cover for Running with Scissors? Funny. The cover for Poodle Hat? Hilarious! (The man had a freaking dog on top of his head!) Sure, those covers don't tell you what the songs are about, but they do a good communication job, letting you know that if you buy those albums, there's going to be something funny inside. And the cover for WYL, well, just doesn't. (And the cover for Polka Party didn't either, but that's a story for another day)

So, in conclusion, I have waaaaaay too much free time on my hands, and here's my "parody" of the cover "art", because I need to amuse myself somehow.
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

Straight Outta Lynwood and In 3D.

AFAIK, they're Al's highest selling albums. Because those album covers are freakin' hilarious.

Hey, wait a minute...

There's no way to tell that those albums have anything funny inside! They very well could be album art for "serious" musicians!
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Isn't BHD his highest-selling album? The Coolio hair was an indicator that "Amish Paradise" was included, so it probably was a selling point.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Mystik Tomato »

Ooh, you might be right, Anth.

Still, they're certainly somewhere in the top 12.
DonnaNoble
Off The Deep End

Post by DonnaNoble »

I have to agree, with In 3-D and SOL Al had promotion out side of the cover, and other songs (If you don't like W&N maybe you like TITDT?) WYL is a single, it has nothing to rely on besides the song itself, some LAME promotion on iTunes a blog and the COVER.
While WYL is an awesome song, people aren't going to KNOW that before they buy it... I think a funny cover would have helped this song out a lot!!!

(plus I wouldn't mind some uber hot promo pic of Al either :ph34r: )
Oh snap!
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Mystik Tomato »

DonnaNoble @ November 16, 2008 05:57 pm wrote: While WYL is an awesome song, people aren't going to KNOW that before they buy it... I think a funny cover would have helped this song out a lot!!!
There is a Preview function on iTunes.
DonnaNoble
Off The Deep End

Post by DonnaNoble »

Oh :P

Well... still... I stand by my OTHER arguments!!! :P

(in other words, the hot pic of Al for the promo*
Oh snap!