Internet Leaks

Moderator: Moderators

The Doctor
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by The Doctor »

I don't know what Al's plan is.
But I'll be getting the song the moment it's out either way.
Silence will fall.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

minnick27 @ July 10, 2009 07:18 pm wrote: But he still said he was not going to promote the song beforehand.
That is an unbelievably stupid thing to do.
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

weirdojace @ July 10, 2009 08:49 pm wrote: That is an unbelievably stupid thing to do.
QFA.
And Peggy
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I hate to say it but...yeah. Didn't Al want "Craigslist" to become his first original to crack the top 100? How does he expect that to happen if he doesn't even announce the release date? This is making the idea of the "Internet Leaks" even more useless.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by JEDM »

anthontherun @ July 10, 2009 11:38 pm wrote: How does he expect that to happen if he doesn't even announce the release date?
Or the title...
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Here's the problem with what Al is doing right now.

First off, the IDEA of releasing songs on the Internet is wonderful. Seriously, artists get a lot of money from it. The thing is, things don't magically happen.

Because of the instant success of White & Nerdy, Al thinks that just like that song, each "Internet Leak" will become a hit overnight, and he can just sit back and watch it happen without really doing much. What happened with W&N happens very rarely on the internet. As with any distribution medium, Al needs to heavily promote the songs as much as he otherwise would. You can't expect people to be all hyped up when you swear yourself to secrecy until the day it comes out.

Al really just needs to stop the whole secrecy thing, because it doesn't help. It's not that this distribution medium is useless-- because it's not. But it won't help Al out if he doesn't do anything to sell it.
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

As someone who used to get paid to explain to CBS how viral video works, I agree with everything Jace said.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

Not to mention the whole thing where his label is requesting the videos can't be embedded. That's a contradiction right there.
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
The Doctor
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by The Doctor »

AlejandraDD @ July 11, 2009 10:48 am wrote: the videos can't be embedded.
Really?
Dang, this is really warped...
Silence will fall.
rccola18
Occasional

Post by rccola18 »

Maybe he just doesn't care about getting hits and just wants to release a work of art. Maybe it's an issue with copyright...Maybe it isn't coming out on Tuesday and there is some sort of delay. Who knows?