[spoiler] Skipper Dan

Moderator: Moderators

Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

It's catchy.

Not particularly funny, but catchy.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

Mystik Tomato @ July 13, 2009 10:18 am wrote: It's catchy.

Not particularly funny, but catchy.
I don't think it's funny in the "Ha-ha" kind of way, but it's not a 100% "serious" song either. In fact, I event think it's kinda sad. I really feel for poor old Dan.
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
weirdalfan1000000
Obsessed

Post by weirdalfan1000000 »

That was a great song! definitely the best of IL. I actually laughed out loud at the video. I love when Al has depressing lyrics when the rest of the song is happy. Is this a style parody of anything?
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

I quite like this song.

Musically, I'd say the closest things that come to my mind are Fountains of Wayne or maybe even a little bit of Barenaked Ladies. Or it could be an attempt at making something that sounded like Pork and Beans by Weezer but eventually morphed into its own thing.
Demented Dustin
Regular

Post by Demented Dustin »

I really like the concept, the song, and the video! With the tracks I have heard so far (WYL,Craigslist, and SD) this album is really shaping up. I had a good feel once I heard Craigslist. I was a little suprised that musically it did not have any jungle/and or water sound effects to fit the lyrics (an alternate mix would be cool). This song also would be a lot of fun remixed to give it a more tribal/ jungle feel (think Lion Sleeps Tonight by the Tokens).
If Al could get the song officially endorsed by Disney (not going to happen heheehe due to the lyrics but wishful thinking) I would love to hear it piped through the queue line at the Jungle Cruise rides in CA and FL.
The video was very interesting too..though could use some sight gags in the background.
I have been on this ride several times and most recently in March at Disneyland. Very fun ride especially at night where it seems more realistic. The video did contain several homages to the actual ride. I hope Al does a suprise appearance as a Skipper for a day. That would be a lot of fun.
Kudos to everyone involved!
"Everytime I talk about toasters, the subject of bread pops up"-anonymous
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

OK I LOVE THIS :clap:

There's no worse fate for an actor, huh? NONE of this humor was lost on me AT ALL!

About the missing lyric above
SPOILER Annie Lebowitz would shoot me for Rolling Stone

and thanks to Kristine for the quick Skipper Dan intro. :Y Helped me get more of Al's jokes.
This means something. This is important.
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

ETA: my favorite part of the video

SPOILER When the tragedy/comedy masks morph into jungle shields -- it sums up the entire concept behind the whole thing so succinctly.
This means something. This is important.
weirdalfan1000000
Obsessed

Post by weirdalfan1000000 »

I usually seem to really like a song right after I hear it, then the excitement wears off and I don't like it as much or care about it as much. But I still like this one and have listened to it 6 times already. I hope Al preforms the full song live in a tour guide costume.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I love this song! Yes, it is kinda funny that Louise discovered the video before most of us folks in the U.S. Hey, what can I say? I value my sleep. Love the video, love the song. Am noted she likes the guitar work. Me, too. Whoever said it sounds like Fountains of Wayne, I agree. Not sure of that was the style Al was going for, but it's not a bad thing. I like Fountains of Wayne. Anyway, what a nice song to wake up to. Wtg, Al!
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
WeirdAbbott
Off The Deep End

Post by WeirdAbbott »

Just listened to the song...and IMO I think it's pretty good, but I think most of the humor is lost on me because I'm hardly an actor and I've never been on the Jungle Cruise ride. I mean, I understand what it is about and it's a good idea...but I think of the three Internet Leaks songs (WYL, Craigslist, and SD) this is my least favorite.

Who knows? Maybe it'll grow on me...it is awfully darn catchy!
amiright.com/parody/authors/abbottskelding.shtml
youtube.com/WeirdAbbott
facebook.com/TheAbbottSkelding
soundclick.com/TheAbbottSkelding
facebook.com/AbbottSkeldingDesign