If That Isn't Love

Moderator: Moderators

minnick27
Off The Deep End

If That Isn't Love

Post by minnick27 »

You've obviously never warmed your hands inside a butt crack.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
eleventhirtyfour
Occasional

Re: If That Isn't Love

Post by eleventhirtyfour »

this is true.
PlayAWarGame
Occasional

Post by PlayAWarGame »

I can't believe what enormous fuddy-duddies Weird Al fans can be. I'd assume he would attract a looser kind of fan.

I also can't believe I just used the word "fuddy-duddies".
It doesn't matter if I do things for a reason, or on a W-H-I-M... Just stand back and enjoy the show, cuz baby, I perform this way!
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

If That Isn't Love

Post by Kevbo1987 »

I don't think I'm a "fuddy-duddy" because I don't like toilet humor. I had no problem with the innuendo in Wanna B Ur Luvr.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
PlayAWarGame
Occasional

Post by PlayAWarGame »

Just because brainless executives have overused and abused toilet humor doesn't mean it's evil or automatically unfunny. And this isn't even normal toilet humor, it's toilet humor as part of a character study.
It doesn't matter if I do things for a reason, or on a W-H-I-M... Just stand back and enjoy the show, cuz baby, I perform this way!
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

PlayAWarGame wrote:I can't believe what enormous fuddy-duddies Weird Al fans can be. I'd assume he would attract a looser kind of fan.
Weird Al attracts all kinds of fans, including the looser ones you were expecting. I'm one of the ones who doesn't enjoy gross-out humor, sorry. Don't like the "turd" line, and "Party At The Leper Colony" lost me, despite its undeniably catchy melody, when Al ran out of puns and stuck in the "using his head for a dip" line instead. Not funny to me.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Heheh, I always laugh at that one! "Hey now buddy don't you gimme no lip!"
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Yankomaniac wrote:Heheh, I always laugh at that one! "Hey now buddy don't you gimme no lip!"
Well, that's just the point. I find all the lines like the one you quoted, the ones that have two meanings, funny. There's just the one. And I think it's gross.
eleventhirtyfour
Occasional

Post by eleventhirtyfour »

I love toilet humor! It's just that line is too ridiculous too early in the song. It would be like if on "You Don't Love Me Anymore" he went "We've been together for so very long, you tried to stab me, oh I wonder what's wrong". See? It's just like, wait a minute, let it build up to being funny either after, or at the very least the last beat of the first verse. And I mean comic beat not drum beat. Or if on (I'm having fun with this, sorry) "Good Old Days" he went "Oh, sometimes I think back to when I was younger and I tried to wear your skin. Dad would be up at dawn..." Too early. Come up with your own examples! It's fun! :)
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I think you nailed it--it's just so jarring right out of the gate. Not only is it overly graphic and disturbing, but you're still sort of waiting for the mood to be established, and these sort of songs thrive on having the surprise kicker at the end of the first verse, not the fourth line. It's funnier that way because even though it's Weird Al and you know there's going to be a twist, you never see something like "Why'd they have to interrupt The Simpsons just for this?" coming.

Anyway, how about:
"Jillian was her name
She mixed up infer/imply, what a shame"