Video Rankings

Moderator: Moderators

TheCervus

Re: Video Rankings

Post by TheCervus »

mrmeadows wrote: There was something about it was just plain depressing.
I think that sums up the main reason I'm appalled at the "TMZ" video. It's bad enough that the entire video focused on one lyric and didn't fit with the song; but it's not even funny or entertaining to watch. The monochrome color and minimalist animation is pretty much the antithesis of what I associate with Al. I really love this song, and there was much potential for an entertaining video. Instead, as you said, it's almost depressing.
oddaustin
Regular

Post by oddaustin »

Yeah, it was quite lame. He should never hire Plympton again.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Video ranking? Uh... okay.

1. CNR
2. Ringtone
3. Whatever You Like
4. Party in the CIA
5. Craigslist
6. If That Isn't Love
7. Skipper Dan
8. Another Tattoo
9. Stop Forwarding That Crap to Me
10. TMZ
sethmartin
Regular

Post by sethmartin »

mrmeadows wrote:I still say the video for SFTCTM has more going for it than just being a "lyrics video". The way that the words unspool along with the song are quite creative and fluid, and at least it was different than a video that just shows what was being described in the song. Those really aren't any more creative, in my opinion. And while TMZ didn't do that, it also didn't seem to fit the song at all. There was something about it was just plain depressing.
I agree. Its not like SFTCTM is just the words on the screen. There's a lot going on there. I bet it took just as much time if not more to create. I think it starts off kinda like "what the hell?" But then it grabs you and is quite entertaining. And there is nothing wrong with Plymptons style of animation, I just think he's no good at doing music vids for Al's songs
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Stop Forwarding's video is done in a style called kinetic typography. It's become kind of a big thing on YouTube recently, with fan-made videos of songs like Jonathan Coulton's Shop Vac, and the official teaser video for Cee-Lo Green's smurf You. It's an artform that takes a lot of skill to get right, and a common trait is making sure the visuals are kept interesting by doing artistic things with the lyrics. Stop Forwarding did it pretty well.

That said, it's more like something a fan would do for YouTube, and I don't think Al should have gotten one made as an official video. If I'm paying for a DVD full of bonus videos, I want to see a real video...
Quab
Die-hard Fan

Post by Quab »

I think Plympton just likes butts, and has been waiting for an opportunity to share his obsession.
Butt addiction is a serious thing.
Without evil there can be no good, so it must be good to evil sometimes...
Eyeeeeee Satan!
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

weirdojace wrote:That said, it's more like something a fan would do for YouTube, and I don't think Al should have gotten one made as an official video. If I'm paying for a DVD full of bonus videos, I want to see a real video...
That's exactly how I feel. I just think "TMZ" actually told a story...
RyanHippFTW
Off The Deep End

Post by RyanHippFTW »

Way_Moby wrote:I just think "TMZ" actually told a story...
And that is what makes it and DDTS great videos. I don't know what video the rest of you were watching, but I really liked "TMZ".

1. Party In The CIA - Love the look of this one, and all the smurf that happens is just friggin' awesome.
2. Ringtone
3. Another Tattoo
4. Perform This Way
5. CNR
6. TMZ - Creative, nowhere near as bad as everyone is saying.
7. Craigslist
8. Whatever You Like
9. Skipper Dan - Not crazy about the style.
10. If That Isn't Love - Same as "Skipper Dan".
11. Stop Forwarding That Crap To Me - The fact that it is, essentially, animated lyrics is the turn off for me.
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

RyanHippFTW wrote:And that is what makes it and DDTS great videos. I don't know what video the rest of you were watching, but I really liked "TMZ".
I really did enjoy DDTS, but I found TMZ to be really juvenile... Maybe it's just me. :P
RyanHippFTW
Off The Deep End

Post by RyanHippFTW »

Okay, the adjective "great" was used mainly in reference to DDTS, and the whole ass thing is a little juvenile, but the video still isn't as bad as everyone is saying.