Bermuda's Best Drum Playing

All about Steve Jay, Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Rubén Valtierra, and Jim West.

Moderator: Moderators

WHiZZi
Be jealous.

Post by WHiZZi »

I personally think GiF

I'm a professional drummer myself and of all Weird Al song, GiF is the most complicated. It has lots of tempo variations and completly different beats in it (It's hard for me to drum). I drum a lot on Weird Al music. Especially the polka's (because of the speed). Cavity search is pretty easy. Alburquerque is also a simple melodie, only darn fast. Grapefruit diet is one of the easiest songs for me.

That's the reason why I think that GiF will not be performed on the tour. If so, I will really (really really really) respect Bermuda's (I already do, I learned a lot of him just by listening how he does things. )
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Cavity Search is easy, but that intro alone is one of the best beats I've heard. I don't have any trouble with it, but all-in-all I think he plays well on that song.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ratbert197
Obsessed

Post by Ratbert197 »

I personally think GiF

I'm a professional drummer myself and of all Weird Al song, GiF is the most complicated.

i thought his most complicated song was track 7 on poodle hat. :P
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I was just listening to Slime Creatures. Bermuda rocks out in that song.

Why don't we have that :choon: smiley anymore? <_<
Genius in Maine
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Genius in Maine »

Best work on an original: Dare To Be Stupid, Slime Creatures From Outer Space, Frank's 2000" TV
Best work on a parody: Gump, Smells Like Nirvana, Money For Nothing/Beverly Hilbillies
http://www.last.fm/user/geniusinmaine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jigawatt
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Moderator: 2010
Former Multi-Time Best Avatar (Non-Photo): 2003-2009
Best Avatar: 2015

Post by Jigawatt »

scottidog @ Jan 28 2005, 03:33 AM wrote: Why don't we have that :choon: smiley anymore?  <_<
This guy should definitely be reinstated...

(It wasn't easy finding him, either.)

Adrian
"Then you had Muppets and Hispanics and William Shatner."

PMFL!
Driew_La_27
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Signature

Post by Driew_La_27 »

*Bumping* Just curious, but what exactly went into GIF that made it hard? I mean I think the hardest part in that song was the mixing. Drumming wouldn't seem that hard because you couldn't possibly play it in all one sitting, going from beat to beat. In other words, if they just played a little section each time you don't really have to change beats..... does that make sense? So how does it make it one of Jon's best drum playing? If you DID play it all the way through, than yes, it would be his best job! :bigups:
In hiding since 2010
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I don't think they're talking about whether or not he played the drums all in one sitting, I think they're talking about the complexity of the drum parts themselves. I guess you'd actually have to be a drummer to really appreciate that. I have yet to weigh in on this. I'll have a lot more opportunities to listen to Al once hubby starts back to work. Then, I'll have made a decision, and I'll post it here. And btw, I've been drumming for 20 years.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Driew_La_27
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Signature

Post by Driew_La_27 »

I'm not saying that the drumming parts were easy, I'm just curious, from a drummers perspective, what exactly makes it so durn difficult? Bermuda? WHiZZi? Yes, I know the beats change, but what else?
In hiding since 2010
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Well, Driew, drumming takes a lot of energy, and when there are complex beats and different time signatures and rhythms involved, you have to be very good and very coordinated to keep up. There are a lot of changes in GiF, so I would agree that it is a good candidate for Bermuda's best drumming. And if you don't value a 20-year drumming veteran's opinion, you can wait for a 20+ year veteran like Bermuda to answer.

On edit: I just listened to GiF, and really, I can't believe you're asking why it's so difficult, Driew. That song goes through so many changes and so many drum patterns, I'm going to have to give Jon mad props, and say that GiF defintely is some of his very best drum playing.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325