New Album Neurosis (and Re-intro)

Moderator: Moderators

mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Hello Everyone,

I've been a member of WOWAY since 2002, but I don't think I've posted here since late 2004 (after the giddiness over Poodle Hat and the tour wore off.) Since then, new Al news has been spotty at best. . .but now I have reason to come out of hiding since we have a NEW SONG! And it's a GREAT one!

. . .and it isn't going to be on the album?!?

I must say, I was excited to know a new album was just around the corner, but now that we know "You're Pitiful" was intended to be the lead parody, I'm also concerned about a mega-delay in the album coming out! It just RIPS me up inside to know that there are 10 (count 'em. . .TEN!) songs just sitting around and ready to go, but will now have to collect dust until Al can come up with a new song to serve as his album's big single! This could take MONTHS! This is the worst possible news. . .EVER!!!

People, help me out. Am I blowing this way out of proportion? Do you think Al can salvage this thing and still get the album out this summer? Since we were so close (June 27th, at one time) to getting the new album, I don't think I can wait until the end of the year. . .

Pitifully Impatient,
Meadows
:(W
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
mewrio
Off The Deep End

Post by mewrio »

I think Al wll probably use a different parody for the lead, and write one or two new songs (parodies? originals? who knows) to go into random spots in the album. If he writes a parody, I doubt he'll wait for another big song, but you never know.
Al's #27 fan
Obsessed

Post by Al's #27 fan »

If he wrote another original, that would put him at 7 originals, which is a lot...
Begone, foul beast!
weirdalfan95
Obsessed

Post by weirdalfan95 »

Oh, right... Al finished the originals... All he needs is a new parody and polka medley (Unless he chose the songs already...)
Al- Team #2294
August 19, 2007 Waukegan IL Genessee Theater
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Al's #27 fan @ Jun 11 2006, 09:06 PM wrote: If he wrote another original, that would put him at 7 originals, which is a lot...
I agree. He would have to replace the rejected parody with another parody. It would be a break with tradition if Al put out an Original-heavy album.

Actually, his albums usually have one more Original than Parodies (not counting Polkas), but never much more than that.

I'm still worried we won't hear the new album until 2007. . . :oo
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I don't think it will be that long. At least, I hope not!
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Al's #27 fan
Obsessed

Post by Al's #27 fan »

mrmeadows @ Jun 11 2006, 10:12 PM wrote: I agree. He would have to replace the rejected parody with another parody. It would be a break with tradition if Al put out an Original-heavy album.

Actually, his albums usually have one more Original than Parodies (not counting Polkas), but never much more than that.
Also, as of right now, we have four parodies (or maybe three and a polka) and six originals. If there was another orignal, there would be 7, which is three more originals (or four if the polka's recorded). And there's usually only one more.
Begone, foul beast!
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

mrmeadows @ Jun 12 2006, 04:12 PM wrote: I agree. He would have to replace the rejected parody with another parody. It would be a break with tradition if Al put out an Original-heavy album.

I'm still worried we won't hear the new album until 2007. . . :oo
It isn't just tradition, Al's contract pretty much dictates how many parodies and originals are on the album, and also, as great as the originals are, I don't think an original heavy album would sell as well, because it's the parodies that get the attention

If we do have to wait until 2007 for the album, it would be kinda sucky, but I'd rather wait and have 12 really awesome songs, than 10 awesome ones and 2 slightly less awesome ones because Al had to rush them.
The tsunami of immediacy will wash away the flood of grief, and reveal a layer of naive optimism underneath
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

I guess you make a good point, KnottyEmily. Still, I was really looking forward to the new album, and it was practically dangling in front of me like a delicious, fiber-rich carrot. . .only to be yanked away as I got close enough to almost smell it!

If it comes out that James Blunt is to blame for this, then he's going on the "I Don't Like You" List.

Okay, I don't really have such a list. . .but I'll start one just for Blunt.

Meadows

PS: Can I be perfectly frank? I don't listen to a lot of Top 40 radio, so when "You're Pitiful" came out I had to go to iTunes and download "You're Beautiful" to see what the parody was of. Now everyone tells me YB is like the most overplayed song ever! I had never heard the *&!%#? thing!! This tends to be true with me with most of Al's parodies.
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

Definitely. If Blunt is to blame [though it's more likely to be his 'peeps'] he's going on the List with The Artist Formally Known As The Artist Formally Known As Prince [is there currently anyone besides Prince on this list?]
The tsunami of immediacy will wash away the flood of grief, and reveal a layer of naive optimism underneath