Straight Outta Lynwood Full Album Reviews

Moderator: Moderators

trippingdaisy
Occasional

Post by trippingdaisy »

here we go. the scales are based on al songs, not songs in general.

01. White And Nerdy 8/10
02. Pancreas 10/10
03. Canadian Idiot 4/10
04. I'll Sue Ya 7/10
05. Polkarama! 9/10
06. Virus Alert 9/10
07. Confessions Part III 7/10
08. Weasel Stomping Day 5/10
09. Close But No Cigar 10/10
10. Do I Creep You Out 6/10
11. Trapped In The Drive Thru 9/10
12. Don't Download This Song 6/10

that's just right now. my opinions will probably change with time.

i'd say it's a quite a step up from poodle hat, which i didn't enjoy all that much. in my opinion, it has an early 90s feel to it, which is good.

edit: made a couple of changes.
the more i listen to this, the more i think it might be his best album. it's at least up there.
and i see a lot of people are including yp. so:
You're Pitiful 4/10
i'm so glad it wasn't on the album.
Funbox
Occasional

Post by Funbox »

ATTN: EVERYONE

Stop hating Virus Alert!

VIRUS ALERT IS EFFING AMAZING.
mikelgb
Die-hard Fan

Post by mikelgb »

Funbox @ Sep 9 2006, 10:05 PM wrote: ATTN: EVERYONE

Stop hating Virus Alert!

VIRUS ALERT IS EFFING AMAZING.
ditto
<-- I'll ace any triva quiz you bring on
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

I LOVE VIRUS ALERT.
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dr.worm
Occasional

Post by dr.worm »

ah, it's alright. it just bugs me though 'cause i don't know what it's supposed to be. and i agree it sounds like his older stuff, but it definitely isn't Rush, i know that.
Funbox
Occasional

Post by Funbox »

Who cares what the source is when judging music by what it sounds like? Hardware Store was a true original, and it's essentially my favorite of all time.
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

Alright, I'll submit my mandatory thesis on Straight Outta Lynwood by "Weird Al" Yankovic. But, like normal, I'll just copy off someone.

I can't review the whole CD with extras yet, but I'll go back and edit this post on September 26.

Front Cover: Great cover. I love the tribute to his parents on the car's license plate, which is one reason I'm glad he chose this cover--instead of the original. Also, many great aspects to the front cover. Dog, graffiti, mix of the town, car, Al's Lynwood jacket. Definitely makes it his best cover. 10/10
Liner Notes: ?/10
Back Cover: ?/10

Pre-Track: "You're Pitiful" -- Pretty good song. Creative way to twist Blunt's crap. I loved the music, but hated the lyrics to the original....so Al fixed the song. Love the Halo part, but am glad that it wasn't he lead single...so White & Nerdy could be made. 8/10

1. "White & Nerdy" -- One of his best lead parodies. Every line seemed dead on, and seemed like it really clicked with Chamillionaire's Ridin'. The only thing I can complain about, is the shortness. There should have been another verse. That may have had something to do with the video, won't know until I see it. But the song its self, made up for the shortness. 10/10

2. "Pancreas" -- Definitely one of his best originals. I loved Trigger Happy, and this is right on with it. I love this style of music, and glad Al explored it again, albeit a little differently. Last 1:30 makes the song, although the first part is great as well. Love how the educational message is pushed...to bad this wasn't around in the days of TWAS.... 10/10

3. "Canadian Idiot" -- Too short. Also, I was expecting a lot more from the Green Day parody, since they 're one of my favorite artists. Didn't get some of the references either, which I'm sure would help it a little bit. However, not a BAD song. Would love to see pyro at the end of the song, if he does this in concert... 7/10

4. "I'll Sue Ya" -- Another brilliant original. Every line is dead on in this one, too -- especially the Ben Affleck line. Great song for his second metal piece, after YDAU. 10/10

5. "Polkarama!" -- Best. Polka. Ever. Absolutely love it, especially the ending starting with "Candyshop". Brilliant. Awesome. Can't wait to see an Al-TV video for it(hopefully), and it in concert. 27/10

6. "Virus Alert" -- Another brilliant original. (Wait, did I already say that...) Very creative music, and it fits perfectly with this song. Lyrics are dead on, too. (Ur kiddin me, I said that, TOO) Love how it ends with the deep bass. 10/10

7. "Confessions Part III" -- Outstanding (ha, thought of a new word!) parody. Didn't think I had heard what it parodied before, but believe I have. Anyway, it's a perfect parody. Every lyric was....ya kno...dead on....(need a thesaurus). Great song. 10/10

8. "Weasel Stomping Day" -- Another brilliant original. (Ya, I kno, I keep repeating myself.) Love the music, and the message. Should be a national holiday. People cricizing animal cruelty....IT'S AL. HE'S NOT TOO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY...HOW CAN YOU CALL YOURSELF AN AL FAN, AND NOT SEE A SENSE OF HUMOUR IN THAT....DON'T CRITICIZE AL....sorry where was I.....It's an awesome song. Mom's favorite. 10/10

9. "Close But No Cigar" -- Another brilliant original. Can't wait for the instrumental. Perfect lyrics, go great with the awesome music. Al's too brilliant, to even try to comment on. 10/10

10. "Do I Creep You Out" -- Pretty good parody. Best he could do with Hicks' song. Just like Blunt's song....liked the music, but not the lyrics. However, Al fixed this one as well. 9/10

11. "Trapped In The Drive Thru" -- Oh, well. The streak of great songs had to come to an end somewhere. It's not Al's fault this song sucks though, R. Kelly's the one to blame. His song's so annoying, and like Al said in the Al-TV Eminem Interview, he can only change the lyrics...not the music, too. However, he didn't have to pick this. It's so annoying. That sums it up. However, mom likes it...finds it funny for some reason....so I guess that counts for something. 1/10

12. "Don't Download This Song" -- Another brilliant original. Love the line about sellin crack and runnin over school kids with your car. Layered great, in perfect style of We Are The World. Great song. 10/10

Bonus Material: ?/10

Overall: ?/10. An outstanding CD, without Trapped In The Drive Thru, which will definitely be a track I skip over. Wonderful music, very creative lyrics, this album had Al-ness all over it. So many different styles, and so much great bass on this album...definitely makes it one of my favorites, if not my favorite. I'll have to wait for the bonus features to actually give it an overall rating. So far, I think this is my favorite CD. Outstanding. ^_^
Australian_Boy
Occasional

Post by Australian_Boy »

Wow, what an incredible variety of opinions. For every positive score, there's a negative score. Oh, well, I even like the bad Al songs!
JDTurnbull272
Addicted

Post by JDTurnbull272 »

Well, I've been trying to hold off on posting a review of the ALbum because I felt guilty about caving into my desire to get it, but I just can't hold off anymore...I JUST CAN'T!!!

1. White and Nerdy - I truly love this song. I have to say, I am completely amazed by Al's ability to squeeze so many lyrics into such a short duration of time...I can't wait to hear this live. But I do have to say, this song took me the longest time of any Weird Al song EVER to learn the lyrics...wow. 10/10

2. Pancreas - .........omg.....This song is skyrocketing on my list of Weird Al original favorites up to number one. It is only growing on me as I hear it. And when I played it on my surround sound system, I loved it even more. I think this is going to be by far one of the best songs I've ever heard by Al. 10/10

3. Canadian Idiot - I really liked it because for the past couple of years, my friends have teased me about having a "canadian" accent (which is ACTUALLY mostly just my Michigan accent with some acquired Canadian pronunciations) and I got a lot of the jokes in this...it was good, but not my favorite, and in fact, I've found myself skipping it to get to my other favorites. 7/10

4. I'll Sue Ya - The first time I heard this, I couldn't even hear most of the lyrics because I couldn't stop laughing at the lyrics I had actually heard...(SPOILER "And I Got FAT!!!") I love the style. I didn't really like the instrumental part too much at first because I really thought it sounded like a garage band kind of recording, but it grew on me a lot. 8/10

5. Polkarama! - This is definitely the best polka Al has ever done. I knew every single song in this Polka (which is a first ever) and it is really growing on me...I skip it most of the time, but that is only because I'd rather learn the songs I don't know yet and save this one for later. 9/10

6. Virus Alert - WOW! I LOVE this song! The intro is so neat sounding and that is probably what hooked me. There is something about the vocals that is somewhat interesting and unique that I don't hear often...Al changes octaves really quickly in this song and it sounds really neat. I love the bridge. 10/10

7. Confessions Part III - This is probably one of the funniest parodies I've ever heard! I LOVE it. Al has awesome vocals in this song and the lyrics are insane. Oh, fyi (lol), this song sounds AWESOME in your car if you have a good sound system. I laugh at almost every lyric in this song... 10/10

8. Weasel Stomping Day - I can't believe it...hahahahaha. The first listen was somewhat awkward and I stopped right before the SPOILER weasel stomping sound effects and turned it off...but then while I was driving with my friends and showing the album to them, I kept it going, and when we got to that part, we laughed SO HARD! It is really hard for me to say this because I am really against animal cruelty, but this is an amazing and hilarious song. I TRULY cannot wait for the music video. 10/10

9. Close But No Cigar - Huh? I thought this song was about a cat who likes girls but they don't like him or something??? I like the song a lot and it is growing on me, but I think because I didn't hear what I was expecting, I was kind of disappointed. It is still uberly awesome and it is going to go up on my list over time. 7/10

10. Do I Freak You Out - I'm actually not too familiar with the orignal, so this is probably my least favorite parody on the album, but the lyrics are pretty good. Al is really good at vocal diversity and imitating other people. It'll grow on me, I'm sure. 7/10

11. Trapped In The Drive Thru - I've only heard parts 1 and 2 of Trapped In The Closet, but I am SO glad I heard them first because it made this song SO MUCH more funnier...if you haven't heard them before you hear this, I HIGHLY suggest you listen to them first. It wil enrich this song a lot. I skip it sometimes, but mostly because it is really long and it requires time to sit down and really listen to it. But it is definitely as good as any 10 minute original would have been...so great! 10/10

12. Don't Download This Song - I LOVED this song when I first heard it...I still like it a lot, but omg, I overplayed this song WAY too many times so now I rarely even listen to it. It is still great, but for now, I need to stay away from it before I start disliking it. 8/10

OVERALL ALBUM REVIEW:
This is Al's BEST album ever! I am preordering several more copies as we speak so I can give them to all of my friends. This is the first album that I've ever had where I have no problem listening to every single song on the album...and the topics are very diverse on this one and are the kind I am really interested in hearing about...(even though Pancreas was somewhat random and unexpected.) I can't wait for the rest of the album to be legally released. I know I'm going to spend at least a couple hundred dollars on buying copies of this album for friends already...wow. :lol: If you can hold off, PLEASE WAIT TILL IT'S RELEASED!!! I couldn't hold off, and I admit, I don't regret getting it early, but if you get the full experience all at once, it will be overwhelming and you'll feel even more excited than ever! If you cave in, you better enjoy it or ELSE!!! ;)
The name is John, but you can call me JD! ^~^
richegreen
Regular

Post by richegreen »

Just for the record, the VIDEO for Cigar is about a cat. Infact, I believe it was the notes from the video's animator that made us find out about the song at all.
8/23/94 5/28/96 8/3/99 2/3/00 5/11/00 5/12/00 7/7/00 10/29/00x2 11/2/00 11/3/00 11/4/00 7/25/02 7/10/03 7/18/03 9/20/07 9/3/10 5/14/15 3/1/18 3/22/18 3/23/18 7/20/19 4/26/22 5/10/22 5/13/22 10/29/22