bonus mixes!!!

Moderator: Moderators

Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Did I just imagine reading this somewhere? Dave or Dr Dad...Can one of you fact finders help me out on this one - Please.

I don't have access to Al's songs, so if Jon hasn't heard it then I certainly haven't heard it!!

I tihnk there might be something on Ask Al about this. I don't know that he's said there were adult versions of songs, I think he just said sometimes he makes up alternate verses to sing to friends. If it's not in Ask Al, then I don't remember where I read it, but I do remember reading it.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
theparodytimes
Occasional

defanately

Post by theparodytimes »

Yah I'm with dave, defanately with dave, Defanately

*just watched rain man*
I smell Ice Cream!!!!!!
Dr_Dad
Obsessed

Post by Dr_Dad »

I guess I'm not his friend, I've never heard anything like that. :(
Really?? Did I just imagine reading this somewhere? Dave or Dr Dad...Can one of you fact finders help me out on this one - Please. Sorry Jon if I made a mistake.
Cid

Wow :satisfied: ... I'm honored to be included in the company of Dave on the subject of disseminators of All Things Yankovic [sorry, Greg, for borrowing your website title ;) ]

Anyhoo, a thorough search of Ask Al Archives turned up empty on this topic. But I must admit, I have a vague memory of a mention of "adult" versions of some of Al's songs. But IIRC, it was a question of if they exist, not a statement that they did.

I'll keep lookin' ..... :sleepy:

Dr. Dad
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

I'm pretty sure he mentioned something along those lines in the Melanie section of the Permanent Record booklet. I'd go more in depth but I...can't seem to find it at the moment :D

I'm guessing the Night Santa Went Crazy EGV was one of these, if there was such a thing.

Awwwwww! Well, we're still your friends! Aren't we gang?
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Well, Bermuda, my theory is that you've never heard anything like that because so many of the hours and hours and hours you've spent in Al's company have been aboard band buses, which as everyone knows are environments characterized by the utmost delicacy and refinement.

:bigups:
Dr_Dad
Obsessed

Post by Dr_Dad »

I'm pretty sure he mentioned something along those lines in the Melanie section of the Permanent Record booklet. I'd go more in depth but I...can't seem to find it at the moment :D

AHA!!! You were correct, sir!!

An online version of the PN booklet can be found on this site, and
"Melanie" is one of Al's few songs that might be rated PG-13 if
it were a movie. Like Spike Jones, Al prefers to "work clean."
"Sometimes I have an alternate verse to a song that I only sing
to my friends," he says.

I *KNEW* I'd heard it before, but wasn't sure where. Mystery solved. All hail spacedingo for narrowing the search!

So-o-o-o-o-o, Bermuda ... ever heard this "alternate verse"? Or should we ask Joel Miller or Joe Earley or Emo? :satisfied:

Dr. Dad
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Haven't heard anything like that.
Dr_Dad
Obsessed

Post by Dr_Dad »

As I re-read this, I noticed the phrasing of Al's statement. Notice that
Sometimes I have an alternate verse to a song that I only sing to my friends.

That didn't say there was an alternate verse to "Melanie" specifically ... just that there are alternate verses to some songs.

But which ones ... :lookround: ... ooooooh ... the mind boggles with possibilities ...

Who's ready for the R-rated version of "UHF" ???? :crazy:

Dr. D
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

My guess is that if Al writes "alternate" lyrics, he sings 'em to whomever it is that he asks to listen to all the newly-written lyrics (i.e., whoever it was who said, "You can't DO that to Santa!"). I don't suppose that those "alternate" lyrics are a standard Al stunt at parties or anything like that. :sleepy:
haroldwaide
Regular

Post by haroldwaide »

hmm, Let me see if I can remember this properly...The Extra Gory Version of TNSWC was the one Al had originally written but when he showed the lyrics to a friend (I think he said it was Joel Miller but I can't remember) they said something to the extent of "You can't kill Santa Clause!" so he changed the third verse to have him going to proson instead. Then he released the EGV because he liked it and figured we'd want to hear it.

I read something about that in an on-line interview a couple of years ago. It's amazing, I can't remember anything from my four years of Spanish 1, but I remember stuff like that...

Harold