POODLE HAT REVIEWS!!!

Moderator: Moderators

Shelley
Addicted

Post by Shelley »

Now, like I said, I like the song Wanna B Ur Lovr, just not for kids.
I'm a kid (13 years old), and I hate Wanna B Ur Lovr. I do get some of that stuff. Ick. I'd be embarassed to play it with adults in the room!

LOL.. my son is 12 1/2, and he hates the song too. He was listening to the album for the first time, chortling over almost every song up til then, and actually skipped WBUL half-way through he hated it so much!

-Shelley
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Haha.

I know some kids who would worship the song, and some who would skip it, just because it's long and annoying...and icky.

Actually, I played Jerry Springer in front of my mom once. She gave me some dirty looks, and just said, "Don't play that in front your friends." Too bad a lot of my friends love the song...
Smells Like a Username
Occasional

Post by Smells Like a Username »

Hey, I'm the new guy, but I've been stalking this board ever since the day Poodle Hat was announced. Kinda makes you feel uneasy, huh?

Anyway, I thought this album was great, one of Al's best, and I can't stand the real versions of the songs that were parodied so thank god this album is in my possession.

Couch Potato - Great song. Would've been a great video too. Too bad. :(

Hardware Store - One of my favories on the album. The beat's catchy, the lyrics are good, and that verse...geez! Now that's what I call talent.

Trash Day - Not the greatest parody, but executed pretty well.

Party at the Leper Colony - One of the weakest songs on the album in my opinion. It's short, and it's...well, weird. Ha! Who would expect a weird song from someone named "Weird Al"?

Angry White Boy Polka - Beyond description. I loved this song! I listen to it over and over and over. It's just so funny how he can make a polka out of so many hard rock and metal songs.

Wanna B Ur Lovr - What's not to like about this song? I find it harmless. It may be a little innapropriate, but there's still nothing wrong with it. I find it very funny.

Why Does This Always Happen to Me? What's not to like about this song? I find it harmless. It may be a little innapropriate, but there's still nothing wrong with it. I find it very funny.

A Complicated Song - I absolutely LOATH Avril Latrine, but this song is really great. Poor guy, constipated, decapitated, and just found out that his girlfriend and him are related.

Ode to a Superhero - Basically another "The Saga Begins"...which is why I love it!

Bob - One of the most creative things Al's ever written. And about that website, I doubt these were all taken from it, even if they are on it. Who knows, it might be vice versa.

Ebay - Very funny, and very true. I love the ending.

Genius in France - What a way to end an album! Possibly my favorite song out of all of them.

So overall the album gets about a 9 out of 10. Or a 4.5 out of 5. Whichever you prefer. I've listend to the whole thing through 5 times, and various others seperately. And that's just in one day. "Get a life!" I know, I know.
Luke
Occasional

Post by Luke »

Now, like I said, I like the song Wanna B Ur Lovr, just not for kids.
I'm a kid (13 years old), and I hate Wanna B Ur Lovr. I do get some of that stuff. Ick. I'd be embarassed to play it with adults in the room!

Huh... I'm 13, and I don't feel embarassed when I play it in the room with adults. I just don't play it because I don't Prince's style of music... and it's like 6:00 long. I seem to like the shorter songs, minus Albuquerque on Running With Scissors.
Shelley
Addicted

Post by Shelley »

Actually there's some debate that it's more of a Beck style parody, but I hear hints of Prince in there also..

-Shelley

who never listens to either, actually
Shelley
Addicted

Post by Shelley »

Btw, "Smells Like a Username" .... love that username! :)

-Shelley
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

No offense, but that's the best part of the song.... haven't you ever felt that way, even if not in a literal sense? Like if you're watching your favorite show, and then the president comes on with some speech about something that you could care less about, or if there's some other news item that you'd much rather have read about later instead of ruining your show-watching?

There was an episode of Futurama that was interrupted with an update on "Election 2000" back during that whole mess when they had all those recounts and Florida and all that stuff. Note to George W. Bush: BITE MY SHINY METAL....we interrupt this reply for a special report.....
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
Smells Like a Username
Occasional

Post by Smells Like a Username »

...love that username!

Thanks. :biggrin:
Jebediah
Occasional

responses

Post by Jebediah »

Wanna B UR Lovr - Ok, I personally like this song, however, I am dissappointed in Al in a big way here. Lyrically, this is the most un-family friendly song he ever did. Al what were you thinking? Again, I find the innuendo funny, but it just isn't Al. I would be embarrased to play this with kids in the room.

Why Does This Always Happen To Me? - ALright ALready. This song really, really, really cheeses me off. 30,000 dead people is not a funny thing to sing about. The main thing that cheeses me about this, is that earthquakes are quite common, and quite commonly, people die in them. It isn't funny. Ever. Al, it sure is a good thing you didn't make a joke about a terrorist attack. Why is 30,000 people dieing funny, but 5000 people NOT funny? Because it REALLY happened. Well, mass amounts of people REALLY die in earthquakes also.

First of all, "Jerry Springer" definitely crosses the line more than "Wanna B Ur Lovr." You defended JS by saying that that show often goes over the line, but WBUL is a style parody of Prince, and Prince often puts a lot of sex in his songs. And it certainly treads the line with some pretty blatant innuendo, but nothing is outright sexual except the line "Do you mind if I chew on your butt?", and then it's just a joke to go with the line "I hope I'm not being forward." I'm 16 and I felt perfectly comfortable listening to this song with my mom in the car.

Also, the kinda thing in WDTAHTM has been touched on before. In "One of Those Days", the world blows up and everyone dies! That's 6 billion deaths, a lot more than 30,000. And while earthquakes are common, I would imagine that it is very, very rare for so large a number of people to die in one. If you were offended that the singer didn't care about the deaths and just wanted to watch "The Simpsons", well, that's the joke of the song, and as Al has said before, his songs certainly aren't supposed to be autobiographical. Personally, I don't think WDTAHTM is as bad as "Good Old Days." Sure, "Good Old Days" has a smaller death count, but it's much more disturbing.
Jebediah
Occasional

and also...

Post by Jebediah »

Bob - I originally thought the song was inspired until I saw EVERY one of the palindromes Al used on a website about palindromes.

Don't discount the song for this. Some people are so incredibly obsessed with palindromes, they'll come up with zillions and post them on web sites. I think virtually every palindrome that even remotely makes sense has been posted on a web site somewhere. The triumphs of "Bob" are that Al got them all to rhyme, and Al's excellent Dylan impression.