Style Parodies on Poodle Hat

Moderator: Moderators

OneNote
Occasional

Style Parodies on Poodle Hat

Post by OneNote »

I don't see this subject anywhere, so I'll post it.

Poodle Hat is out and chances are that, by now, most if not all of you have heard it.

So who did Al "Style Parody" on this album?

I have no idea what Hardware Store is a style parody of.

I think Party at the Leper Colony sounds like Kenny Loggins (anyone want to confirm or offer other possibilities?)

Wanna B Ur Lovr.. I think everyone seems to think this is Prince. I don't know much Prince stuff myself.

Why Does This Always Happen To Me? - I'd suggest this is a style parody of another older artist. The song sounds VERY 60s to me. (Tambourine and everything!) Thoughts?

Bob - BOb is easy. Bob is Dylan. Very much Dylan.

Genius in France - Zappa. He's said it publicly.

Thoughts? Possibilities? Suggestions?
Dirge

Re: Style Parodies on Poodle Hat

Post by Dirge »

Genius in France - Zappa. He's said it publicly.

"Genius in France" has got to be the best style parody that Al has ever done. It's my favorite song on the CD.

I'm probably gonna take some heat for this but...I think it gives "Yoda" a run for the money as the best Al song.

Later,

Dirge
OneNote
Occasional

Re: Style Parodies on Poodle Hat

Post by OneNote »

"Genius in France" has got to be the best style parody that Al has ever done. It's my favorite song on the CD.

I'm probably gonna take some heat for this but...I think it gives "Yoda" a run for the money as the best Al song.

Later,

Dirge

I doubt you'll take heat. At least hope not.

Everyone has their own opinion.

I love Genius in France, but I love Hardware Store more. That song just rocks my socks off.
OlFuzzy
Occasional

Post by OlFuzzy »

"Wanna B Ur Lovr" sounds like most of the songs from Beck's "Midnite Vultures" - although people said that album sounded like Prince too.

And "Why Does This Always Happen To Me?" has a Ben Folds quality about it, and it's more than just his piano work - especially the da da da chorus.
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

The 3rd verse of Hardware Store sounds almost exactly like a song called Life Is A Rock (but the radio rolled me), a one-hit wonder from 1974, but a song I remember liking a lot.

Leper Colony is a Bo Diddley or Willie and the Hand Jive style parody

Wanna B Ur Lovr sounds more like Beck to me than Prince.

Why Does This Always Happen To Me is a Ben Folds style parody. It may be the first time Al's had the artist HIMSELF play on the song.

Bob is clearly Dylan although it sounds more like "Polka Dot Undies"

Genius in France is clearly Zappa. I have a question for the Zappa fans -- how many direct references to Zappa songs are in GIF? Sounds like dozens.

El
mickens
Occasional

Post by mickens »

"Wanna B Ur Lovr" is almost definitely a style parody of Beck's "Midnite Vultures" album. I realize that's already been posted twice, but now we only need one more person to agree to win the best-of-seven series.
OneNote
Occasional

Post by OneNote »

Bob is clearly Dylan although it sounds more like "Polka Dot Undies"

Heh. I was thinking that too. It DOES sound like Polka Dot Undies!
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

Wanna B Ur Luvr also kind fo reminds me of the song "Munchies for Your Love" by Bootsy Collins.

Why Does This Always happen to me is proaabably a Ben Folds/ Ben Folds Five style parody althoguh it is reminiscent of some of Elton John an dBilly Joel's stuff, proabably because a lot of Ben Fold's stuff is.
BathTub
Occasional

Post by BathTub »

Al Song : Wanna B Ur Luvr

Prince Song : Eye Wanna B UR Lover

hmmmm hint maybe this could be?
Lauren27
Addicted

Post by Lauren27 »

I need to play the two one after the other, but I think PATLC really sounds like "Willie & The Hand Jive" :listen: :listen: :listen: